Any advice on surviving an induction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ob says my current status is favorable. I'm 2cm, 50% effaced, and -2. How do I survive the pitocin ctrx? Any tips?

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 AM

Get a doula if you don't have one, she was my savior during my induction. She helped me stay in control and semi-relax with the pitocin. It's because of her I was able to do it w/o pain meds.
Convince them to let you labor somewhere OTHER than laying in the bed- you have to be hooked up to tons of monitors, but a birth ball or rocking chair next to the bed or even standing leaning on the bed should be close enough for all the equipment. Or if you have to be in the bed at least be in an upright position.
Ask them to start the pit slowly, and maybe even back it down after you've started to progress.

Good luck! I hope you're holding your little one very soon!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 AM

no advice but lots of good vibes and thoughts coming your way!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM

Why are you being induced?

My first though is that to survive being induced is to not go to the hospital... giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetw&e View Post
Get a doula if you don't have one, she was my savior during my induction. She helped me stay in control and semi-relax with the pitocin. It's because of her I was able to do it w/o pain meds.
Convince them to let you labor somewhere OTHER than laying in the bed- you have to be hooked up to tons of monitors, but a birth ball or rocking chair next to the bed or even standing leaning on the bed should be close enough for all the equipment. Or if you have to be in the bed at least be in an upright position.
Ask them to start the pit slowly, and maybe even back it down after you've started to progress.

Good luck! I hope you're holding your little one very soon!
:

*~* huggles *~* Let us know how it all goes!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM

When I had pitocin, as soon as I felt the pitocin contractions start, I made them turn it off. My labor continued quickly and efficiently without any more of it! I figured I could always have them turn it back on if needed. I didn't need it! All I needed was a kickstart, apparently.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Not in your ddc, but...

Get the epidural.

I know this won't be popular advice, but as someone who has gone through a pitocin induction with no meds, I feel qualified to give it.

Yeah, I did it. And I wish I hadn't. I had no idea going into a sudden, surprise induction that pit contractions were any different than the real deal. I was so determined to do it drug-free that I kept telling myself "women have dealt with this for centuries, so I will, too."

Well, women *haven't* dealt with this for centuries (as I discovered during non-induced birth #2). I have no positive memories of that birth. Not a one. I don't feel particularly proud of myself for not getting meds. Frankly, I feel like a fool. By the time it was done, I was so exhausted and wrung out I could barely register the fact that I had a baby.

OP, you may be one of those women who just don't have a lot of pain in labor - and I hope you are! But if you're getting slammed by those pit contractions, please remember that what you are going through is not normal labor, and meds exist (imo) for unnatural circumstances.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Good luck, Jokerama. I will be thinking of you! I too will have to be induced if this goes to 42 weeks. Stay strong, you can do it!

Is there anyway you could have your midwife assist you, and sort of act like a doula? That will be my situation if it comes that far.

Best of luck, and just focus on that sweet baby of a reward!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM

I have had two labors with Pitocin and no pain meds.....it was excruciating for me and the way I dealt with it, having NO coping mechanisms, was to just go inside myself and tense my body for hours. I really believe I worked against the Pit and my body and I would have given birth much sooner if I had been able to relax a bit more. If you do have coping mechanisms, USE THEM!!! If you find you are not dilating much at all no matter how much they are upping the Pit, then I would probably give in to pain meds or an epi because the mind is a strong influence on whether or not you progress and the epi might be what you need to force yourself to give your body permission to open and let that baby out. I've read several stories of ladies at a 4 for hours and hours with Pit, then almost as soon as they got the Epi, they were pushing within an hour, so go in with an open mind and have no regrets. Good luck!!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM

I was induced at 38w 6d due to PIH and polyhydramnios. I feel that overall I had a positive experience, and I'm happy to share my thoughts.

DD was posterior, so it was back labor city for me. I did NOT want any drugs. Once my water broke (on it's own), I rethought that, because my ctx were three and a half minutes long and 15 seconds apart. I could NOT lie in bed or be still. I jumped out of bed or moved with every single one. I was EXHAUSTED. I thought I was going to pass out, seriously.

That's what convinced me to get the epidural. I was so afraid I'd be too exhausted to push when the time came...fortunately my hospital offered walking epidurals, so even after I got it, I was constantly out of bed. Birth ball, shower, etc. I could still feel my contractions, they just weren't as intense. Once I relaxed (no more frantic jumping up) and the edge was off, I had time to recharge myself. A few hours after I got my epi, I started feeling a TON of pressure. I literally dilated from 5-10cm in 40 mins. I started feeling pushy around 7cm.

When it was time to push, I felt everything. The epi had mostly worn off and I didn't let them add more meds...just a touch of lidocaine. DD was stuck under my pelvic bone. They started chattering about c section...my OB actually said to me "YOU CAN'T DO THIS". I laughed. That was my motivation. I pushed for an hour and 13 minutes, but I DID IT.

I guess my point is, induction doesn't have to suck. Just be firm about what you want and what you will allow. You can still have some control. If you feel like you need an epi, fine. I honestly believe that if DD wasn't posterior, I would have been TOTALLY fine without it. If the dr. starts trying to roll that intervention snowball, don't let him. I had a doula, which was tremendously helpful.

Sorry this was so long.....Good luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
mtm

I had one foley induction at 41 weeks, easy labour, one foley and pit (emergency induction at 37 weeks) v. hard labour. I think your body sounds like its getting ready so I'd ask for a slow/low d ose of pit and then get them to turn it off and see if your body takes over.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM

My main advice is to keep an open mind, you don't know for sure what it's going to be like. Just because you're being induced doesn't mean it's going to be horrible, but keep your options open re: pain meds, too, if you need them. Follow your instincts and do what your body tells you is right for you.

My induction was not great, but I believe it had more to do with the magnesium sulfate than the pitocin. It was my only labor, so I can't compare it to natural contractions, but the pain was bearable and I didn't end up needing an epidural. Having a great support team helped immensely; I also vocalized through the contractions and tried to just take them one at a time. They didn't let me move around much because of the pre-e, but getting on the birthing ball or toilet when I could helped SO much! Laboring in bed on my back was by far the most painful.

I agree with mysweetw&e and salt_phoenix, too: control the pit as much as possible. Make them start it at a low dose and turn it off if you're progressing. My labor was long, so they turned off the pit overnight so I could rest; that's the only way I got through the second day.

Good luck!

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

Old 04-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Hi Jokerama,

Not in your ddc, hope you don't mind my input.

I was induced under unfavorable circumstances with my first son. With my second I remained pregnant for a very long time dilated to about 5cm. It sounds to me as if your induction would be much more favorable than mine. IMO the hardest part of an induction is not the pitocin but the fact that your body is not ready to have a baby; so an unnatural thing is being forced on both your baby and you.

When I had my second son I sort of self induced the day before I would have been induced. I used castor oil and the deed (not in that order) and began having good regular contractions but nothing forceful or painful, so went in at that point and had my midwife break my waters. For me, that was enough. He was born nice and easy about 3 hours later.

If you get to the point in hospital where you require a drip to bring on strong contractions I think the best thing you can do is remain as focused as you can on what your decision is (to have drugs or not). Pitocin contractions are strong and relentless. Very different from the end of labor, about to push contractions. Many people get through them without drugs. I think that I could have avoided the nubaine I got with my first son if my body had been ready to have a baby. (I had pre-eclampsia and he was a couple of weeks early, not ready at all.)

But, you are a little dilated already. And a little effaced. That is very good news. If I were in your position I would try to get some contractions going with castor oil and the deed (if that is not out of the question for you) before you go in to hospital, and then try for a gentle induction (breaking waters does a lot). You may not even need the pitocin. But, go into it willingly. The morning of your induction, when you wake up, say to yourself, "I am going to have my baby today." (or other mantras that will remind you of what is really happening.) I think if you are open to induction, it is a much easier thing and can be much less invasive.

Good luck! I will be watching for your birth story.

Jennie Young

Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 AM

If you want to do it med free you can. Lots of women have done it and will continue to do it. I agree hire a doula, you can get out of bed, birth ball or rocking chair, stand next to the bed. Ask your doc if the hosp has a telemetry unit. Then you can get in the tub and roam around the room and still be monitored. I had a three day induction two days of cervidal and then a final day of pit and it was HELL. But you have a wonderful ending to it.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 AM
DBZ

Stay put of the bed. Be upright, You should still be able to shower and use the tub.

My 3rd baby was induced and without pain meds. I would do that again. I hope you wake up with contractions tonight and avoid the pit.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 AM

it wasn't that bad.

things I feel I did right: stayed upright or out of bed as long as I could. sort of hypotized myself and rode the contrax like waves. let the midwife know I wanted to try to do it natural so there was no mention of the epi until it was my choice. waited until I was REALLY no longer coping well to get the epi- made it 6+ hours out of a 13 hr labor. getting the epi when I couldn't take it- I was able to relax after that, and dilated quickly. agreeing to turn the pit off once I was complete and pushing- didn't need it anymore.

things I wish I did differently: should have told people to please stop talking to me when I was trying to concentrate because it let the pain get on top of me. taking other people's suggestions on how to cope (ie, walking around) when it just made it worse- I knew where I needed to be and what position. allowing internals when I was in too much pain. not telling them to turn the epi down or even off so I could feel more to push. not asking them to help me change position to push, too numb from epi and being on my side or might have helped her get out faster (3 hrs pushing).

good luck. it was not a bad labor or delivery for me. I wish it could've been different but it couldn't have been, and it can still be a beautiful birth.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Could you avoid the pitocin and have prostoglandin gel and/or a membrane sweep instead? That's what I did--they kept threatening to give me the pit if I didn't progress fast enough, but I climbed stairs and stuffand managed to beat the clock. Labour was still less than fun, but at least I didn't have the dreaded Pitocin Contractions. I was 39 weeks 4 days when they induced, but I wasn't dilated or effaced at all and the prostoglandin was still enough to get my labour going. Maybe it's worth asking?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

User Tag List