I hate hate hate hate hate military clinics!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm pretty sure I posted here around 6 weeks ago, that my 2 year old and I had thrush, and I was pretty desperate to get it treated before the baby was born.

When the baby was born, I wasn't totally sure it was cleared up, so I asked for (and was refused) another prescription of nystatin in the hospital.

Lo and behold - my 3 week old has thrush. Big white spots on her tongue.

Anyway, so I called my community clinic, and raised hell, telling them that if they had listened to, and treated me completely 6 weeks ago, my newborn would not now have thrush, and they damn well better get me an appointment today or tomorrow. Well, apparently there aren't any pediatricians at our clinic anymore, so I would have to drive either one hour to Heidelberg, or 45 minutes to Wiesbaden. I made them schedule an appointment for *me* in the morning...so fingers crossed I can convince the doctor to treat me and my 2 nurslings!

BTW, what are the symptoms of thrush in Mom? I'm not in pain or anything, and my nipples aren't cracked or bleeding, but I'm gonna have to lie and say that I am experiencing symptoms to get treated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Your boobs would itch like hell, and in many cases moms get mastitis. It is nasty, so I would get treated if I were you. Give 'em hell mama!
#3 of 8 Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM

Can you get Gentian Violet over there? Less hassel and works great. Messy, yes.

Shooting pains in the breast, peeling or cracked skin on the nipples, and itching are all symptoms in Mom.

We just got over thrush here. My 2 year old, the baby and myself were purple-urples for a week.

Hope you get what you need!
#4 of 8 Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Itching boobs is thrush? Heck, I won't have to lie!! I thought it was just dry skin!
#5 of 8 Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM

yeah & it hurts like [a lot] to nurse!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#6 of 8 Old 04-14-2008, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Grrr... I still hate military clinics.

I went in on Friday; after spending about 20 minutes with the ped discussing everything BUT the thrush, even after me saying "You are NOT her regular pediatrician, this is why you don't have this information, and really, you don't need to know about any of this anyway to treat her THRUSH!!!" and having to repeat myself 15 times on everything..."how much did she weigh at birth?" "6 pounds, 9 ounces" "and she was born in Heidelberg?" "Yes" "and how much did she weigh?" "I just TOLD you!!!!"

Anyway!!! After spending 20 minutes with the ped before getting her to look at Victoria's mouth, she finally confirmed my diagnosis of thrush, and gave Victoria drops, and me a cream...but, get this - she refused to treat my 2 year old!!! So I'm doing the homeopathic route with her, and will go back to the clinic in 10 days, still having thrush, and will explain how yeast infections work, using monosyllabic words, compete with diagrams and printouts, because apparently this pediatrician can't seem to figure out that even if the toddler does not have white spots in her mouth TODAY, she is the original source of the thrush (having been on antibiotics in February), is still nursing, and is TWO, meaning she puts everything in her mouth and then tries to shove it in the baby's mouth, and therefore still is exposed to thrush and needs to be treated at the same time as me and the baby!!!

Argh.
#7 of 8 Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 AM

IDK what to say. It doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't treat her.

I hope the homeopathy works.
#8 of 8 Old 04-17-2008, 01:54 AM

Oh, I had thrush with DS and I know how awful it is. I'm sorry you've got to deal with this and especially those doctors. argh

I second the gentian violet, it worked for us. I don't know what it might take to do it, but If you can't get any yourself maybe I could mail you some?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page