Postpartum weight loss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
, I know. It's a somewhat annoying topic, but I'm a little curious, as this pregnancy/baby/postpartum has been so incredibly different from the last.

I weighed myself at the midwife yesterday (5 weeks pp), and I hadn't lost any weight since my 2 week pp appointment. I'm somewhat relieved as I'm already fairly close to my prepreg weight, and my DS is a giant who is constantly on the boob. It's nice to have a little squish in reserve to boost the milk factory I'm happy to stay where I'm at as long as DS is nursing (although it would be nice to fit into my old clothes properly again)

Last time, my weight loss was pretty steady and didn't taper off until 9 months or so. My assumptions may be a little premature about my weight staying put, as it is only 5 weeks pp.

Does anyone else feel like their weight is going to stay fairly stable at this point?

Edit: I think I lost about 20 pounds total - and 9 lb 9oz of that was baby!
#2 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Oh man, I hope not. I am still only about 2 weeks postpartum.
: I gained 48 pounds with the pregnancy. AAAAAH! 48 pounds!!!!!!

I've lost (ummm...doing math....) about 25 pounds so far, and would like to see another 10-15 go away in the next month.

Usually I hold on to 5 or 10 pounds until baby gets to be around 8-9 months old, then I lose that weight without even trying.
#3 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM

I gained 46lbs! I haven't been on a scale since the birth (1 month ago) but my pants do not even go past my thighs... I'm wearing maternity pants and a pair of DH's jeans
#4 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure how much I've lost, I haven't been weighed since I had Rory. I have a WIC appointment tomorrow though and they'll probably weigh me there.

I'm itching to get the weight gone, though. Before I got pregnant I had been working hard to lose the weight I've gained in the 9 years dh and I have been together...got about 25 pounds from my goal weight and got pregnant!
#5 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM

I was a little disappointed yesterday when I weighed the same as a week before I delivered. Is that even possible? shouldn't have I lost at least 8 lbs? (my babe was 7lbs 11oz).
This happened with my first baby too! But I blamed it on the depo birth control. I just have this insane appetite while nursing.
#6 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 PM

I really have no idea how much I gained or how much I have lost. My loosest fitting jeans prior to my pregnancy are now my tighest, so I'm making some progress. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it takes me 9 months to get back into my smallest pair. My bones take forever to shift back into place. I really don't think I have a lot, if any, weight to lose. I just want my shape back...
#7 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM

I am about 10 lbs away from pre preggers. But wouldn't mind losing more as I started heavy. I've lost 33 of my pregnancy weight. But I eat all day since my son wants to nurse non stop. I am not REALLY thinking about it too much. Or at least I tell myself I am not.
#8 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monamcmona View Post
I was a little disappointed yesterday when I weighed the same as a week before I delivered. Is that even possible? shouldn't have I lost at least 8 lbs? (my babe was 7lbs 11oz).
This happened with my first baby too! But I blamed it on the depo birth control. I just have this insane appetite while nursing.
nak- this is me. I've actually lost 10 lbs, but she weighed 8#14. with ds, I gained until about 6 mos pp. I'm trying really hard not to get depressed and just focus on 1) eating really well and 2) continuing to move my body. but i feel really blobby and fat and I;m really tired of maternity clothes... I need to get to the thrift, having clothes that fit might help a lot.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#9 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
mtm

I'm not sure numbers but I'll weigh in tomorrow. I'm back in normal clothes (still a size up from normal) and other than that flabby belly am happy with how I look. Much different than after ds2 when the weight just hung on and on.
#10 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 AM

This is the one time in my life when my weight makes me happy - I am 7weeks postpartum and weigh 15 lbs less than I did when I conceived. I still have the flabby belly but the weight is all gone - woo hoo!

I started off heavy for me so I am hoping to lose more over the next several months with nursing since I'm sure some of it will come back on like it did with my first baby.
#11 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 AM

as of last week, i was 4lbs less than my pre-preg weight... i had gained 17lbs, and half of it (8lbs 8oz) was Riley, lol.

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#12 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM

nak

i gained 32 lbs.

10 more to lose to get to prepregnancy weight. 3.5 weeks postpartum. we don't have a car. maybe that helps?

trin
#13 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 PM

not sure if I'm losing weight or just changing shape but I'm pretty happy to be a very different shape than when pregnant and I'm happy to be fitting at least one pr of jeans (though currently they need to be washed... sigh... spitty baby...)

I'm kind of amazed that my body is capable of changing shape so fast! Of course I DID have a 9 lb baby tucked away in there and she didn't ever lose weight and is packing it on quite quickly from the increase in her chubby rolls All this nursing HAS to do something in terms of weight loss for me right?
#14 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 02:48 PM

When does the jelly belly go away or am I the only one with one? I don't remember this with dd1. I'm eight weeks pp and I still have this jelly belly that hangs over my pants. sigh.
#15 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 PM

I weigh about what I did pre-preg but it's distributed differently. I didn't gain that much though, 25 or 30lbs. My belly is all loose. It's always been a bit fluffy, but I'm surprised by how loose it is now.

Some of my pants fit, some don't. My hips are wider. My boobs have grown so much that all button up or fitted shirts are too tight now. I've never been one to have many clothes so sometimes finding outfits is a bit of a challenge. I had to go to a funeral this week and finding on outfit was a real challenge.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#16 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 11:36 AM

milky-mama~

I've gt the jelly belly here too - I don't remember how long it took to go away when I had dd . . . I just hope it's soon
#17 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well yesterday at 1 month pp I was down 26 pounds! Okay considering I haven't made any attempt to lose.

I gained 52 pounds
#18 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
I'm kind of amazed that my body is capable of changing shape so fast! Of course I DID have a 9 lb baby tucked away in there and she didn't ever lose weight and is packing it on quite quickly from the increase in her chubby rolls All this nursing HAS to do something in terms of weight loss for me right?
Yes, I feel like I'm losing some of the tons of weight I gained pretty fast too. My appetite isn't enormous and baby is growing SO FAST it's unbelievable (6lbs11oz to 10lbs8oz in 5 weeks!!!) so I think breastfeeding must have something to do with it.
#19 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky_mama View Post
When does the jelly belly go away or am I the only one with one? I don't remember this with dd1. I'm eight weeks pp and I still have this jelly belly that hangs over my pants. sigh.
Did you have a diastases recti? Because if you did (and it's much more common on subsequent pregnancies) you'll have to do special exercises to pull the abdominal muscles back together, although my understanding is it can never be healed without surgery. My mw suggested the book, "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" and showed me a couple of the exercises. It's helping pull things back together, but the book hasn't come yet so I'm a little hesitant to do things full swing without reading the directons a little more carefully.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#20 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Maybe someone can answer why the scale isn't changing but my pants are fitting better and better? Seriously, the scale has stalled, but something must be happening because each week I add one more pair of pants that will fit. How depressing that I'm not dropping though. I've still got 20lbs till prepreg, and another 10 I want to lose on top of that.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#21 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
Did you have a diastases recti? Because if you did (and it's much more common on subsequent pregnancies) you'll have to do special exercises to pull the abdominal muscles back together, although my understanding is it can never be healed without surgery. My mw suggested the book, "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" and showed me a couple of the exercises. It's helping pull things back together, but the book hasn't come yet so I'm a little hesitant to do things full swing without reading the directons a little more carefully.
Thanks MonP'titBoudain. I did have diastases recti. I didn't even think about that. I just did a little test that I found online and I still have a separation. I'm going to look into the book you suggested and talk to my ob about it. Thanks!
#22 of 34 Old 04-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I don't have a scale, but I'll be weighed at my 6wk this Wed. I'm curious. I didn't gain anywhere but my stomach, which still is jiggly, though I can button and zip my jeans. But the muffin top is killing me, so I'm not wearing them. They're all designer 7 for all mankind though, so I miss them : I bought cheap jeans for now.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#23 of 34 Old 04-19-2008, 03:26 PM

I keep meaning to do pilates -- but that would involve having some space on the floor to lie down; that's a problem. Hey, someone needs to pick up all the toys around here! And why are there 3 loads of clean laundry in my living room?
The midwife who signed my discharge papers told me "your stomach muscles are shot". Yay, lucky me. I have a separation like the grand canyon, and it is not a pretty sight.
I did find one pair of non-maternity pants that I could actually wear this week. I hope I'm like Jill and I find that a new pair of pants magically fits me every day....yeah right. Like that's gonna happen.
#24 of 34 Old 04-23-2008, 06:47 PM

i'm down 20 pounds at 3 weeks post-partum and still have 10 to go. i gained more this pregnancy. i remember being slimmer faster, too, with my first pregnancy. i've got a sort of spare tire right now and i've always had a really flat stomach, so it's pretty weird. i fit in my two pairs of looser pants right now, but this tummy bulge sticks out .

DD is a huge nurser, too, and nursing DS made the weight melt off and then some. oh, and DS still nurses too, though i am limiting him somewhat because i just start to feel touched out these days!

i mainly feel really blobby because i was so inactive during the pregnancy (due to extreme nausea--and that's what kept the weight off with DS, not that i would choose 9 months of nausea vs. gaining a little more, but this time it didn't work out that way .) and i crave more intense activity--being able to use my nonexistent muscles!

we'll see where my body is at 3 months post-partum--that's when i was in a swimsuit and feeling pretty good about my body with DS.
#25 of 34 Old 04-24-2008, 01:17 AM

i don't have a scale but i finally weighed myself at my 6 wk pp appt tues. i was pleasantly surprised.
i gained about 40 total and have lost 25 doing nothing but bf. i still have such a jelly belly though. i am hoping to get outside and walk more when it hopefully warms up around here. that will help.
#26 of 34 Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM

I lost weight during my pregnancy. By the time I gave birth I was 5 lbs less than my starting weight. Now 3 weeks PP I am 36 lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight. I think my metabolism sped up during pregnancy + I had m/s for a really long time. Now Im nursing around the clock so Im sure Im burning calories like crazy.

(I started out overweight and still have more to lose)

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#27 of 34 Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM

I weighed 180 the day I went into labor, and I'm at 160 now (3 weeks pp). I have about 35 pounds to go, which is frustrating b/c I worked out like crazy throughout the pregnancy AND taught pilates up until my DD. I'm pretty short (5'4"), so all the extra weight and belly flab is not flattering. I feel positively gross, and family is so camera happy these days, too.
#28 of 34 Old 05-03-2008, 10:33 AM

I finally found a scale 7w pp! I gained 45 pregnancy pounds and have lost 28.5! Only 16.5 left to go... I'm confident that as soon as I start exercising I can lose most of the rest pretty easily
#29 of 34 Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katrinka~ View Post
The midwife who signed my discharge papers told me "your stomach muscles are shot". Yay, lucky me. I have a separation like the grand canyon, and it is not a pretty sight.
Check out the book "Lose your Mummy Tummy" Julie Tupler. Her exercises will help you to repair your diastasis recti (the separation), although you will have to do maintenance exercises. It's really been helping pull my stomach back in, too, even though my diastasis is pretty small. I've actually gone down 1 pant size in 1 week just from these exercises! The poundage hasn't changed, but it's nice to see a change in shape, anyway!

#30 of 34 Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
Check out the book "Lose your Mummy Tummy" Julie Tupler. Her exercises will help you to repair your diastasis recti (the separation), although you will have to do maintenance exercises. It's really been helping pull my stomach back in, too, even though my diastasis is pretty small. I've actually gone down 1 pant size in 1 week just from these exercises! The poundage hasn't changed, but it's nice to see a change in shape, anyway!
Thanks! I checked the book out of the library and am using a waist trimmer from the drugstore as a splint. I can feel a difference and I only started YESTERDAY!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page