Hips wider pp? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible that - - barring all weight gain/loss - - my actual hip bones are wider after pregnancy/childbirth? I really don't feel that huge (though I don't have a clue what I weigh) and I *cannot* pull even my biggest jeans up over my hips!

Anyone else? And if so, do you think it's permanent? BTW my feet are bigger now too
#2 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM

My experience is that yes, your hips are probably wider... your feet too... ALL our bones and ligaments spread somewhat during pg. They DO return after 4 or 5 years IME... I've gone from size 7 shoe to size 8 shoe THREE times now!
Our amazing bodies...

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#3 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm not sure, but I can tell you my hips still hurt when I roll over in bed, so I think my pelvic girdle took a beating with that giant baby of mine. Oof.

I can't get my comfiest jeans to button, but the worst is, I can't get my regular jeans to even go over my butt. Sigh....
#4 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM

Thank God my favorite jeans still fit, but my nicer pants are pretty snug in the hips now. I'm back to weighing what I did at my 1st ob appt at 6 weeks. I do think my actual hips are wider.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#5 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM

I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight (which was higher than I'd like) but I cannot get into my pre-pregnancy underwear. It will not go over my hips. I have not tried my jeans, I fear it may set me back mentally if they don't go on.:

For now I am still rocking the maternity jeans and enormous Granny knickers imported from England..!

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#6 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Yes!

I am very slender and don't gain a lot of weight with my pregnancies. The biggest change I notice in my body is the width of my hips.

Historically, it has taken me a good 9 months to get back into my favorite jeans. Unfortunately, the bones shifting back into place is painfully slow. But they do go back, so I don't fret over it too much.

Feet, IDK about. That must be one of the very few pregnancy side effects I don't get! LMBO!

#7 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 10:46 AM

I've been thinking this too. Most of my pants/jeans will button, but the fit is so tight the zipper won't stay zipped. Everything eventually fit after DS1, but I can't remember how long it took. So now I have about 3 pairs of bottoms that actually fit and a whole wardrobe that doesn't!
#8 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 11:26 AM

yeah, my hips are definitely wider after this baby! i'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, which i was really happy with before...but, things just aren't quite the same now. *sigh* the things we sacrifice for our children!

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#9 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 09:43 PM

My hips are never going to be the same after this one, but they have gotten progressively wider each preg. I will never again fit into size 5 simply because I have spread so much. And now my shoes don't fit. *sigh*
#10 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fascinating. I don't think my hips are wider--my clothes fit fine--but then, I'm not sure they could get any wider than their pre-pregnancy state. 'Childbearing hips' indeed!

My *waist* is certainly wider, though. That annoys me. I actually had a waist before, and I was quite fond of it. I hope it comes back someday...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#11 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 09:46 PM

Hi, I'm not in your DDC, but I'll chime in here - in my first year of breastfeeding, I was ridiculously skinny - baby was sucking the life out of me. My cheeks were hollowed, my ribs showed...and yet my pre-pregnancy jeans would not come up over my hips. I think there is definitely a spreading of pelvis for some women!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#12 of 13 Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM

My hips have always taken a while to get back into place after each of my births. I can be my prepregnancy weight but still take a while to be able to fit into my old jeans because of my hips. My ribs don't take as long to get back to normal...my hips seem to take a few months.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#13 of 13 Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Yes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page