I have my period??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 7wks pp, breastfeeding twins, and I seem to have my period. Is that even possible? Is it a bad sign for my milk supply? What the heck is going on?

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#2 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM

nak...it's probably postpartum bleeding still. This is often called the sixth-week bleed, and is fairly common. I usually have on and off bleeding for 6-8 weeks postpartum, then AF has returned anywhere between 8 months and 13 months postpartum. HTH!
#3 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM

yeah, it probably is pp bleeding....BUT, I exclusively breastfed my first, and my fertility returned at 6w pp. didn't hurt my milk supply, but is definitely why my kids are 16 months apart.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#4 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mw said anything up to around 9 weeks pp is most likely just pp bleeding and not a return of fertility. "Breakthrough" bleeding is really common!
#5 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM

I also stopped bleeding for a little bit and then it started up again about 6 weeks pp and then tapered off again 7 weeks pp. I agree with the others that it's probably pp bleeding.
#6 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 PM

It is possible to get your period back that soon though. You're not the only one I've heard of who exclusively breastfed and still got their period back that early.

I know that Jesse often has a day or 2 dip in her supply just before she gets her period but it's not ever been detrimental to our daughter or their nursing relationship.
#7 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 AM

not in your DDC but thought I'd share. With my DD I nursed exclusively and got my period about 7-8 weeks post partum (I blead for about 4 weeks then at the 7 or 8 wk mark started again and my OB did say it was my period....and it was it was different than my post partum bleeding and lasted only a few days). Then I got it regularly again from that point on...it sucked since I was so looking forward to time without one while I nursed Best wishes with your new babies.
#8 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have been wondering about this too, not because I am bleeding, but because I have that kinda wet feeling TMI that I get when I am about to ovulate. I can't remember if I had it when I was pregnant too. Aren't I supposed to be feeling really dry--like TOO dry?

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#9 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 PM

FWIW, I was exclusively breastfeeding and cosleeping and my period returned at 4 weeks pp - and every 4 weeks after that until I got pregnant a year later... My mw told me it was my fault for letting the baby sleep 5 hours once... I think it's just what my body does.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#10 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post
I have been wondering about this too, not because I am bleeding, but because I have that kinda wet feeling TMI that I get when I am about to ovulate. I can't remember if I had it when I was pregnant too. Aren't I supposed to be feeling really dry--like TOO dry?
I was actually wondering this too. With my first pregnancy afterwards I was really dry but this time not so much. I did feel like I was having ovulation wetness a couple of times too.
#11 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Maybe we'll all be in another DDC together soon::

#12 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Oh my!!!!

:: is right!
#13 of 23 Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Glad you posted-I'm having the same thing. I don't think it's my period though, it's not acting the same anyway. Hopefully it's just a bit more pp bleeding. I'm another one who was looking forward to the 12-18 months without a period!
#14 of 23 Old 05-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Uggh, i hope not!

Dh and I DTD (and it was gooood this time! ) a couple days ago...the next day I SWEAR I had EWM

So now I'm freaking out. Uggh, she doesn't even take a pacifier, there's no way I'm ovulating at 7 weeks PP!!

About a week before that I had some spotting. Sigh.
#15 of 23 Old 05-10-2008, 03:26 AM

Not in your DDC, but the same thing happened to me. I get my period back almost as soon as the postpartum bleeding stops, and I breastfed and co-slept with all of my babies. If that is the case with you, it certainly is a bummer.
It will not affect your milk supply, however, so no worries there.
Enjoy your babies!

Mom of 4
#16 of 23 Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Uggh, i hope not!

Dh and I DTD (and it was gooood this time! ) a couple days ago...the next day I SWEAR I had EWM

So now I'm freaking out. Uggh, she doesn't even take a pacifier, there's no way I'm ovulating at 7 weeks PP!!

About a week before that I had some spotting. Sigh.

It was probably his stuff, not ewm. That happens to me.

#17 of 23 Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
DBZ

I've had that ovulation wetness too. And tonight I swear I have cramps. If I get my moon I will be furious! It would certainly explain why I've been way over the top moody today.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#18 of 23 Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one asking this. In fact I logged on today just to ask and saw this thread.

Matilda is 7 weeks tomorrow and I started what seems to be a period about 2 days ago. My pp bleeding stopped at about 3 weeks, so this was a bit of a surprise, being that it didn't happen with my son, and both were/are exclusively breastfed.

With my son my period didn't come back until I was about 8.5 months pp, so what I really would like to know is if it's likely (I'm sure it's possible afterall), that the time that I have no period could be significantly shorter this time around? The idea of getting pregnant with an existing 8-9 month old wasn't so bad... but I could do without getting pregnant when I have one that's not yet 2 months old :P

Marieke

Mama to Dashiell (July '05) and Matilda (March '08)
#19 of 23 Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM

I'm right at 6wks. I felt like my period was going to start for a few days... and then either it did, or I've got breakthrough bleeding. But I feel crampy and bloated and hormonal too... oh joy! ... so I'm not sure it isn't a period.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#20 of 23 Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 AM

I read on the ccl website that any bleeding in the first 56 days (8wks) is not considered menstruation. Even if your pp bleeding has stopped...

#21 of 23 Old 05-14-2008, 11:53 PM

I officially got my period yesterday and I am 10 weeks postpartum. I am also officially PISSED OFF about it. With dd1, I didn't get it back until 10 months pp. BUT I do have to admit that the little guy sleeps 6 hour stretches, so I guess thats it but still...C'MON!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hormonally challenged, bleeding heaving as ever and just plain bitchy. But thankfully, there doesn't seem to be any change in my supply.

Anyone else?
#22 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolafanana View Post
I officially got my period yesterday and I am 10 weeks postpartum. I am also officially PISSED OFF about it. With dd1, I didn't get it back until 10 months pp. BUT I do have to admit that the little guy sleeps 6 hour stretches, so I guess thats it but still...C'MON!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hormonally challenged, bleeding heaving as ever and just plain bitchy. But thankfully, there doesn't seem to be any change in my supply.

Anyone else?
Oh that SUCKS! I am so sorry. Did you feel it coming on--anything leading up to it?

#23 of 23 Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 PM

I totally did not expect it BUT now that I got it, there were definite hormonal and physical signs. For starters, I spent Mother's Day in tears and had no idea why- I just hated everyone . After crying my eyes out, I ate 3 different deserts and still had a sweet tooth And I really just couldn't handle life. I got my period the next day (a REALLY sick Mother's Day joke)

Anyway, I figure I got it because little Eric is sleeping long stretches at night, which I will gladly take over being menstrual free. I think we're just going to double up on the condoms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page