Possible Atlas Shrugged bookclub? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just picked up Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and it's soooo long, but was recommended to me by a friend and I'd really like to read it. I thought this would be a perfect time to get more involved with this forum. Also having someone else reading along may give me more motivation to actually finish it, lol.

Any takers?
#2 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 PM

I've read it before, planning to read it again shortly. You are aware that it is a book that praises captialism and it's a very..."right-wing" type of book, yes?
#3 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 PM

I love ayn rand's writing. I've read the fountainhead, and tried atlas shrugged, but I haven't finished it...guess I've jsut needed an excuse??

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 PM

I'll join up! Atlas Shrugged is one of those books that blew me away when I was younger. I used to read it every summer. I haven't done that in awhile, but could certainly enjoy it again with a club. I don't know how these book clubs here work. Can someone fill me in on details? Thanks!
#5 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cersha View Post
I've read it before, planning to read it again shortly. You are aware that it is a book that praises captialism and it's a very..."right-wing" type of book, yes?
I was not aware, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
I'll join up! Atlas Shrugged is one of those books that blew me away when I was younger. I used to read it every summer. I haven't done that in awhile, but could certainly enjoy it again with a club. I don't know how these book clubs here work. Can someone fill me in on details? Thanks!
I'm not sure how this works either, but I'd really like to read this along with other people. If anyone else wants to "run" the book club, you are welcome to! Do we wait for more people to join up, or just pick a start date and start discussing the first chapter?

PS- Sorry it took me awhile to reply to my own thread. Usually I check this thing all the time but I didn't realize it had been posted (since it needs approval) and my IL's were here for a week as well. I'll be on more regularly now for sure though!
#6 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 AM

I want to join! I read The Fountainhead last year and enjoyed it. Atlas Shrugged has been in the news a lot and so that's why I finally decided to pick it up.

I'm reading it right now, on page 200ish. The problem is that I need to finish it before May 9th before it's due at the library so I won't be around long.
#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
I was not aware, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

I'm not sure how this works either, but I'd really like to read this along with other people. If anyone else wants to "run" the book club, you are welcome to! Do we wait for more people to join up, or just pick a start date and start discussing the first chapter?

PS- Sorry it took me awhile to reply to my own thread. Usually I check this thing all the time but I didn't realize it had been posted (since it needs approval) and my IL's were here for a week as well. I'll be on more regularly now for sure though!
I hope you didn't take any offense...I was just...suprised to see an Atlas Shrugged book club. I'm happy to start when everyone else is!
#8 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, not offended at all. I was just teasing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page