Neil Gaiman author discussion? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would anyone be interested in discussing the works of Neil Gaiman? He has some young adult books, including the one recently turned into a movie (Coraline), Stardust (also made into a movie) and the new Newbery book, They Graveyard Book. I've recently discovered that he writes for adults, too, and there's a ton to pick from. This summer I've read Anazi Boys, American Gods, Good Omens (co authored with Terry Prachett). There's also Neverwhere, and the Sandman graphic novels, as well as others I've forgotten.

I'd be curious what others thought of his writing style, and consistencies among stories that might show up. Does anyone see him maturing as an author as one reads through many of his works? Does anyone want to share a favorite book of his and what makes it so?

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#2 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Love, love his stuff. Besides his novels, he's an excellent short story teller.

American Gods is my favorite of his novels, and I think it's his best novel. The whole premise of various gods dwelling in America, competing for the American psyche, it was just brilliant. I wasn't really familiar with Norse mythology, and I tend to go on research binges sometimes, so it was neat to learn a bit about the mythology behind Shadow and his family.

Shadow's story continues in Gaiman's short story, Monarch of the Glen. It's in the Tor fantasy anthology Legends II, and also Fragile Things.

Check out Smoke and Mirrors. It's a collection of his short stories, and they're just excellent.

Finished reading the Graveyard Book a little while ago. I love his creeping, malicious villains. I would have liked more of the under world and Ms. Lupescu.

Apparently the Graveyard Book has been optioned for a movie, to be directed by the guy who did the Crying Game , Interview With the Vampire and Michael Collins.

Curious to know what you mean by consistencies among stories that might show up. Are you saying he has themes that consistently show up in different stories?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

In one way, the "consistencies" thought was on similar themes, plot devices, etc. In another way, I mean the way that American Gods and Anazi Boys take place within the same "universe". You mentioned a continuation of that story, so I wonder if there's even more.

#4 of 20 Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 PM

He is one of my favorites. I loved the Graveyard book, American Gods and Ananzi Boys.

I will add the others to my reading list.
#5 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Just thought I'd mention that this thread prompted me to pick up Good Omens again. I started it years ago and put it down. It just wasn't hooking me. I've since read a bunch of Terry Pratchett's stuff and so I'm getting much more out of Good Omens.

#6 of 20 Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Of all I've read this summer of his work, I think Good Omens was my favorite. Witty, unexpected, a good read all around.

#7 of 20 Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 PM

I love Neil Gaiman. I read Ananzi Boys and the Graveyard Book recently.

He's read many of his audio books which adds an authenic and creepy quality to them. I've listened to Coraline, Stardust, and The Neil Gaiman Audio Collection.
#8 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM

I read Stardust this summer. I thought it was a lovely fairy tale for adults.

I also give Blueberry Girl to everyone I know who has a baby girl. The prose feels so lyrical.
#9 of 20 Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM

another huge Neil Gaiman fan here...have all the Sandman graphic novels and most of his books and I had the pleasure of hearing him do a reading of Neverwhere. It was 10 years ago in the dead of summer like 100 degrees and he was wearing a leather jacket and he was just amazing, putting the perfect voice to the book....

I loved American Gods and love the various themes/threads of mythology that turn up in a lot of his work..... and I loved Coraline (the book, still haven't seen the movie) it was so creepy and captivating!

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#10 of 20 Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM

Another huge fan here. Neverwhere has always been my favorite Gaiman book, it was the first I read and I completely fell in love. I also love Sandman to death. Well, I love it all, and I'm also a huge Pratchett fan so Good Omens was really cool. Me and my 10.5 yo. has read The Graveyard Book this summer, he loved it too.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#11 of 20 Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM

I haven't read much of his stuff, but I really enjoyed American Gods.
#12 of 20 Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Seems like reading this thread that I must look into reading his other stuff soon though!
#13 of 20 Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 PM

love him!

i discovered him by randomly picking up an issue of sandman and i think i've read all of them now.

i've also read neverwhere and american gods, which was so awesome that i can't wait to read more of his books.

you guys have inspired my next library trip.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#14 of 20 Old 11-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Per the thread in the Books, Media and Other forum about Susan Pevensie/Chronicles of Narnia I discovered that Neil Gaiman wrote a short story about her. It's in Fragile Things, which is now on my Christmas list.

#15 of 20 Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 PM

I've read The Graveyard Book and Neverwhere. I enjoyed them both very much but really liked Neverwhere. I was in the middle of American Gods when I had to return it to the library. Now I'm just going to have to go out and buy it. lol

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#16 of 20 Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 PM

I have read all his stuff. I have been a fan since his comics.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#17 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

I love him, too!

I, too, LOVE Blueberry girl and it's my new go-to gift for parents of girls.

American Gods and Neverwhere are probably my favs.
#18 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

Of all I've read this summer of his work, I think Good Omens was my favorite. Witty, unexpected, a good read all around.

If you liked Good Omens, then I suggest you give Terry Pratchett, the co-author, a shot (if you haven't already). Very funny and also great insights into the workings of society and the human mind.

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

#19 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM

lol.gif This thread is more than a year old. 

Kanna, is your picture Gram-Gram from Avatar? 

Neil Gaiman yesterday announced that he and his wife the amazing, spectacular Amanda Effing Palmer, are touring the west coast of the the US this fall, and they'll actually be coming to northern California!!!  Poetry and short story readings and Amanda will sing, etc.  We will be going to see them, no doubt. 

#20 of 20 Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

lol.gif This thread is more than a year old. 

Kanna, is your picture Gram-Gram from Avatar? 

Neil Gaiman yesterday announced that he and his wife the amazing, spectacular Amanda Effing Palmer, are touring the west coast of the the US this fall, and they'll actually be coming to northern California!!!  Poetry and short story readings and Amanda will sing, etc.  We will be going to see them, no doubt. 

LOL. I never look at the age of those darn things! It might be more than over a year old, but it's just a tiny scroll of the button down the list!

And yes, it IS Gran-Gran from Avatar. I LOVE that series joy.gif

You're going to see Neil Gaiman? I'm jealous. wink1.gif  All I get to do is follow his twitter account!

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page