Anybody Want to Do a Book Club for "Rashi's Daughters"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, today in B&N, I picked up a really interesting book called "Rashi's Daughters Book 1: Joheved." It's by Maggie Anton and tells the tale of one of the daughters of the scholar Rabbi Shlomo Yitzhaki in France during the 11th century. (There are two other books about his two other daughters.)

Here's the blurb from the author's webpage..
"In 1068, the scholar Salomon ben Isaac returns home to take over the family winemaking business and embark on a path that will indelibly influence the Jewish world—writing the first Talmud commentary, and teaching it to his daughters. Joheved, her mind and spirit awakened, knows the risk and keeps her learning hidden. When she weds, must she choose between marital happiness and her love of Talmud? "

It looks really good.

You can read more on the author's website at http://rashisdaughters.com/

You can read reviews at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Rashis-Daughte...9957827&sr=8-1 (Over 55 reviews, and it's 4-1/2 stars.)

There's also a prequel for 9-14 year olds called "Secret Scholar." So if any of you have kids who might be interested.

Not sure how we'd run it...so let me know input. We could do a chapter per week... or read the whole book and then chat in a few weeks. There's a discussion guide at http://us.penguingroup.com/static/rg...r_joheved.html

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#2 of 9 Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 AM

OMG, so good. I've only read the first - but I loved it.

There are some pretty smoky sex scenes, so you'd have to talk over it with your kids if they were to read it, but it's really good. Lots to learn. I'm in if you want!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#3 of 9 Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Great. : I'll wait a week or so to see if we get any other takers...and then we can plan to talk about the book. I'm really looking forward to it. It looks excellent...and is so my cup of tea!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#4 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 AM

I just picked up a copy from the library and started. I really am enjoying it thus far. Thank you for starting a thread!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#5 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 AM

I read the first two a couple of years ago. I really liked the first one a lot. The second one a little less. If you like your history wrapped up in a good story, they're ideal.
#6 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 06:00 PM

Moving this to "Book Clubs".

You may want to post a thread in Spirituality that directs people to the Book Club thread, just so everyone has a chance to participate. And there are resources listed at the top of the Book Club forum page that can help you figure out how you'd like to organize the reading.

Hope you all enjoy the book... It sounds fascinating.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 9 Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 PM

I just finished the book. I LOVED it! What a wonderful book. After I make my way through some of the others I have in front of me, I am going to request book 2 from the library. There is much to talk about with the first, so if anyone is interested, I'd love to chat.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#8 of 9 Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 AM

I've been wanting to read this for a while. If I can get it from the library, I'd definitely be up for a book club about it.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#9 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Oooh, I wish I had the time to participate.... I read all three and have them on my bookshelf. I loved them. And look forward to reading them again. 

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page