Julie and Julia? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've started reading Julie and Julia by: Julie Powell. I haven't seen the movie yet--I'm one of those who likes to attempt at reading the book before seeing a film. Anyone else interested in reading it with me and discussing?
#2 of 10 Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM

I just requested it from my library - it might be a few days, but I'd love to read and discuss.

"People who learn to control inner experience will be able to determine the quality of their lives, which is as close as any of us can come to being happy." -M. Csikszentmihalyi
#3 of 10 Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 AM

I got the book for Christmas. I have not seen the movie.
Happy to discuss things.
Kathryn
#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM

and I thought it was great......so I won't spoil anything for you.

I also saw the movie afterward, and for the first time EVER, I actually thought a movie actually matched the book really well. They didn't deviate from the book hardly at all.

I love the fact that Julie was frustrated with her job and decided to take on this challenge and has now become a famous writer.

It gives us all hope, I guess
#5 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 AM

I also have finished it. I live in Japan and know many people who love all things French. The two cultures share many similarities. Mostly in the food arena.

I would like to try some recipes. Will have to do a you tube search of Julia's show I have vague memories of watching it on PBS.

I am also in the ranks of *does she really need to use the F word so much*.

Kathryn
#6 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, movie and book are delightfully similar. Yay! The book and the movie made me laugh at loud and even my dh enjoyed them.
#7 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 AM

I picked it up at my library and I loved it. I then read a Julia child bio after. I thought it was a really fun book to read.
#8 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM

I started reading it last year but never got passed the first chapter. I really didn't like the author at all. I did watch the movie and enjoyed it, got a big laugh when her husband called her self centered.
#9 of 10 Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 PM

a warning to those who liked or want to like this book. you may want to avoid the sequel. unfortunately i borrowed both from the library at the same time and sequel was so nauseating i lost any appetite i might have had for the book that made her famous in the first place.
#10 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking in Bel Air View Post

a warning to those who liked or want to like this book. you may want to avoid the sequel. unfortunately i borrowed both from the library at the same time and sequel was so nauseating i lost any appetite i might have had for the book that made her famous in the first place.

I totally agree with this. Julie & Julia was a great read, but her second book just TANKED. Nauseating is definitely the correct word for how it made me feel. The author is so self-centered, and has such a lack of respect and regard for the people that she supposedly cares about that it's sickening. To the point where I was starting to wonder if she doesn't suffer from some kind of serious personality disorder by the end of it. Huge disappointment after JJ and what I was hoping was a promising new author to keep track of. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page