Sookie Stackhouse (Book Series): - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 02-22-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone!

I didn't seen this book series listed anywhere in the Book Club Forum (any of the five pages) - as a head's up; this is (obviously) based upon the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Not the television series; "True Blood" (as hosted by HBO) - which often veers from the original story line. I'm hoping that there will be more than a few of us interested in this very unique story; a different view of vampire/wereanimal/fairytale creature ideology.

Please don't discuss other novels regarding vampires here; including but not limited to - Twilight, Anita Blake Novels/Chronicles, Anne Rice novels, Salem's Lot, and etc. Although these are all wonderful fictional stories; they (well, at least Twilight) have their own place (i.e; not here).

The Novels, In Order:
1. Dead Until Dark
2. Living Dead In Dallas
3. Club Dead
4. Dead To The World
5. Dead As A Doornail
6. Definitely Dead
7. All Together Dead
8. From Dead To Worse
9. Dead And Gone
10. Dead In The Family (Released May 2010!)

Synopsis (beginning with, of course, book one):
Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability", to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.

Ashely - Expecting stork-suprise.gif Home-Birthed Baby in February 2011. Full Spectrum Birth Professional.
#2 of 56 Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM

I love this series! I didn't know #10 was coming out so soon! WOOHOO!!! I really love how #9 ended with "Which vampire was he (her grandpa) talking about?" Loved it!! I think he was talking about Bill, but I really love Eric and want her to be with him.

I haven't been a part of a book club on MDC before, so I don't know where to start. What would you like to discuss?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#3 of 56 Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

We could start with book one; any thoughts you've had along the way?

I'm fine with being all over the place - haha, as long as anyone involved can keep up; I'm also fine with spoilers - as long as you put a "spoiler alert" of some sort at the beginning of your post. :]

Ashely - Expecting stork-suprise.gif Home-Birthed Baby in February 2011. Full Spectrum Birth Professional.
#4 of 56 Old 03-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Bumping back up.

I just finished #5 last night. I got completely sucked into this series.
#5 of 56 Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
I love this series! I didn't know #10 was coming out so soon! WOOHOO!!! I really love how #9 ended with "Which vampire was he (her grandpa) talking about?" Loved it!! I think he was talking about Bill, but I really love Eric and want her to be with him.
I just finished #9 last night. I thought the same thing about what her grandfather said about the vampires.
#6 of 56 Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM

Initially i fell in love with the True Blood series and thought I would try the books. I have only read 1/4 of the first book but everything is exactly like the first couple of true blood episodes. I stopped reading because i feel like nothing is different and I have already seen the show. I was hoping for more variance. Does the first book veer off eventually into new territory from the show?
#7 of 56 Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Maybe not the first book too much, but the second book is different for sure.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#8 of 56 Old 04-16-2010, 11:40 PM

I've only watched the first season so far but most of the main plot points are the same but a lot of little plots and details are different.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#9 of 56 Old 04-18-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahRoo View Post
Initially i fell in love with the True Blood series and thought I would try the books. I have only read 1/4 of the first book but everything is exactly like the first couple of true blood episodes. I stopped reading because i feel like nothing is different and I have already seen the show. I was hoping for more variance. Does the first book veer off eventually into new territory from the show?
The season 1 of true blood pretty much follows the book, but I personally like the books a whole lot more than the show. But even if you prefer the show, you should definitely go on reading. IMO the books get better and better. I personally enjoyed #3 Club Dead, #4 Dead to the World", #5 Dead as a Doornail the best. I like the shape shifters and these books have lots of them. #6 Definitely Dead is also good but the part about Sookie's cousin Hailey being left out really bothered me. I read the whole series last summer.
#10 of 56 Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bumping - because I just read the series (yeah for used bookstores), but I have not read Book 10 yet. I love the books, but I am so loving Quinn. Come on a were tiger - YUMMY!! I also like her Harper Connelly series, but the character development in the Sookie books is much broader.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#11 of 56 Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 PM

I just finished book #10. The reviews were not great (amazon) but I enjoyed the book. I like eric, and after book 10, not sure what will happen w. sookie and eric. Almost seems like she might hook up w/ Alcie???? One thing that really annoys me about these books are that they are sooo short and simple. I wish C. Harris would go into a bit more detail and not skip sub-plots. For those who like the weretiger.... he is a bit of a mamas boy. I'm glad sookie got rid of him!
#12 of 56 Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 PM

I just finished the series (again) but haven't read #10 yet.

I'd love to see Eric and Sookie together. I never liked Bill that much, Quinn was ok, but I was happy to see that end. Alcide's ok too, but I never thought much of him.
#13 of 56 Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 PM

I have always thought Sam would be a better match for Sookie. I do not like the Sam in the TV series though!
#14 of 56 Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM

I've read all 10.

I want Sookie to eventually end up with Sam. He's the best for her. I think that's what will happen, or... she'll end up with a totally normal human guy.

I really don't think that Ms. Harris will end the books with Sookie with a vampire. As far as the werewolf Alcide, isn't the "rule" that they can only produce a werewolf child with a full-blood werewolf partner? I think that would be important to him, so I don't see Sookie with him, either. (Although I wouldn't mind her enjoying his company, so to speak!)

I have enjoyed all the books. I think I like 4, 5, 6 & 7 the best, though.
#15 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitane View Post
I've read all 10.

I want Sookie to eventually end up with Sam. He's the best for her. I think that's what will happen, or... she'll end up with a totally normal human guy.

I really don't think that Ms. Harris will end the books with Sookie with a vampire. As far as the werewolf Alcide, isn't the "rule" that they can only produce a werewolf child with a full-blood werewolf partner? I think that would be important to him, so I don't see Sookie with him, either. (Although I wouldn't mind her enjoying his company, so to speak!)

I have enjoyed all the books. I think I like 4, 5, 6 & 7 the best, though.
I don't think she will end up with a human. Even though she can shield her mind.... I think she would go crazy being w/ a human guy. Imagine if you could hear EVERYTHING your husband was thinking ALL THE TIME.
I think it would be interesting if something "happened" to remy and sookie raises her cousins son. Then she can be a mom and still be w/ Eric?
#16 of 56 Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 PM

subbing! I've read through book 9, but not the new one yet.
There's a little too much sexy time stuff for my taste, over all, but I generally would prefer LESS of that than more in nearly any media. lol

I'm looking forward to getting 10 soon, I didn't even realize there was a new one out yet.

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#17 of 56 Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM

I just bought the first three books this weekend to read on a long flight, but started reading "Dead Until Dark" today because I couldn't wait until Sunday (when my flight leaves) to start. So far, I really enjoy it. I plan on getting book 4 before I take off, because they are so short and it won't take me long to finish them.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#18 of 56 Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 PM

I've ready all the way through the fifth book and plan on getting the sixth very soon. I must say, I'm really digging Alcide and Eric.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#19 of 56 Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 PM

This thread is making me want to reread all of them. I wonder how insane the librarians will think I am if I check them out again?

I never was a huge Alcide fan, but Eric? Just wow.
#20 of 56 Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Ciao, ladies. Im on book 3 of the series, coming from an avid TB LOVER.

I dont care for Bill all that much. All the sex, i mean, that is how MEN are supposed to be portrayed (like sex addicts) but hes a VAMPIRE. Not a true MAN. I dont know how to describe it, but everytime they start to go at it, im like, REALLY? AGAIN!?!?!? OTher then that I dont have much to say. Except Bubba craks me UP!

Just wanted to come by and say
#21 of 56 Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I like Bubba too. And Alcide is so hot in the books and in the show! Sookie should have totally jumped his bones in book 3 when she had the chance!
#22 of 56 Old 08-23-2010, 01:47 PM

OK, im halfway through book 5, and I gotta say, the number of romantic prospects for sookie is just laughable!!! And none of them are human!!!!!!!!!!

-Bill- vampire
-Eric- vampire
-Sam- Shapeshifter
-Alcide- Werewolf
-Calvin Norris- Werepanther

Am I missing someone? LORD!!!! Perhaps Charles Twining. he seems to be quite the gentleman. LOL

I do enjoy the more Alcide and Less bill. Book 4 seemed to move at a snails pace for me, and Im really enjoying the new storyline with Jason being a semi werepanther. I like the transformation it has given his personality.
#23 of 56 Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
OK, im halfway through book 5, and I gotta say, the number of romantic prospects for sookie is just laughable!!! And none of them are human!!!!!!!!!!

-Bill- vampire
-Eric- vampire
-Sam- Shapeshifter
-Alcide- Werewolf
-Calvin Norris- Werepanther

Am I missing someone? LORD!!!! Perhaps Charles Twining. he seems to be quite the gentleman. LOL
Is #5 when Quinn appears? I''ve managed to read through to #9 or 10 though I had to read those last few really quickly.They were on a one week loan from the library!

I have enjoyed them as a fun, light read. I've also just finished watching season 2 of Trueblood on DVD. We don't have cable so I guess I'll be waiting a while til it comes out on DVD :-(
#24 of 56 Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
Is #5 when Quinn appears? I''ve managed to read through to #9 or 10 though I had to read those last few really quickly.They were on a one week loan from the library!

I have enjoyed them as a fun, light read. I've also just finished watching season 2 of Trueblood on DVD. We don't have cable so I guess I'll be waiting a while til it comes out on DVD :-(
Yes, #5 he appears, but 6 is when he begins his pursuit. Funny I made that comment just as I was coming into book 6. I am a quarter through it now, so they havent gone on their date yet, and Calvin has more or less given up.

I am still trying to get the scene of the mating ritual from the packmaster contest out of my head. Not sure why that disturbed me. I suppose I have to stop considering these people as "human" because really, they are not. They are quite litterally wolves in sheeps clothing.
#25 of 56 Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Ok, something is bothering me.

In Dead to the World, Debbie Pelt tells Sookie shes a lynx.

In Definetly dead, she is referred to as a fox several times.

WTH!?!?! Did the author screw up, or am i just confusing what a lynx actually is? Cuz I googled it, and it appears to be exactly what I thought it was.
#26 of 56 Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I am still trying to get the scene of the mating ritual from the packmaster contest out of my head. Not sure why that disturbed me. I suppose I have to stop considering these people as "human" because really, they are not. They are quite litterally wolves in sheeps clothing.
Yeah, that was a little rough for me as well. ick.

Quote:

WTH!?!?! Did the author screw up, or am i just confusing what a lynx actually is? Cuz I googled it, and it appears to be exactly what I thought it was.
I think that is just inconsistency with the author.
#27 of 56 Old 08-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Probably the author. I don't remember that one in particular, but I do remember seeing a few things.

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny she's a werefox (or whatever) and her last name is pelt?
#28 of 56 Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Did anyone else find Book 7 (vampire summit) SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW? OMG it was torturous. Almost every scene took 4 pages! The scene where they go to that Arkansas vampires room and they are all dead, i swear it seemed like they were standing outside that hotel room for 5 DAYS! OYE. I have really enjoyed the books up until now, but thank GOODNESS i am reading these books back to back, because if I had to wait a whole year to read book 8 like some of you did, I might just have given up.
#29 of 56 Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Did anyone else find Book 7 (vampire summit) SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW? OMG it was torturous. Almost every scene took 4 pages! The scene where they go to that Arkansas vampires room and they are all dead, i swear it seemed like they were standing outside that hotel room for 5 DAYS! OYE. I have really enjoyed the books up until now, but thank GOODNESS i am reading these books back to back, because if I had to wait a whole year to read book 8 like some of you did, I might just have given up.
yeah, that one was my least favorite for sure.
#30 of 56 Old 09-06-2010, 07:48 AM

ok, I just got through A touch of Dead (and let me tell you, it made ALOT of things make more sense. LOL I read it AFTER book 8, when really, the short stories are from all over the place.) And I am now on Book 10. Im trying to take it slow, but its not happeneing. I am 3/4 of the way through, and I am sure I am going to be done before the season finale of true blood next week. No biggy, I have 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the twilight series. hehe

Ive really enjoyed this sieries, and I hope she comes out with 11 around the same time she did with all the other books. That would mean i only have about 7 months to wait.

Tags
Book Clubs , Books To Believe In

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page