The Purpose Driven Life - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone reading or read this?

I am reading it now and would love people to discuss with. Full disclosure--I'm not a Christian, with a capital C. I'm Episcopal, and not all that religious, but I'm interested and lately I have really felt myself drawn to cultivate a deeper spirituality. Not sure if this will be for me or no, but it is thought provoking, and maybe for reasons the author didn't particularly intend.

For instance--the very first chapter says that I was made for God by God. I don't know if I believe that, intellectually. And I don't know if I've ever felt it in my heart. But, I do understand the argument that the world is a complex place to just have happened all on it's own. Surely, some energy must be behind all of this? But I haven't grown up thinking of myself as created by God for God.

The thought for the day is how can I remind myself throughout the day that I really need to be living for God. I need to think about that, and am not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM

I understand exactly what you wrote, because I was feeling almost the same way the day I sat down to read this book.

This book changed everything for me. Cheesy, but true. If you decide to read it I would be more than happy to discuss it, regardless of how you end up feeling about the text.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM

I'm a Christian, but don't generally care for "Christian" books. The Purpose Driven Life is one of my favorite books, though. I read it a few years back and the thing that has stuck with me the most is "It's Not About ME." That statement changed my life. I hope you will keep reading.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am still reading. I'm enjoying it, even though it's a really different conversation than what I am used to, I think it's a good way to address some really big questions within myself!

Faith just hasn't been a big part of my life, but I have come to the conclusion that I do believe in God, and that I am on board with the concept of being created by God for God.
It's not all about me is a powerful lesson to learn. I've always thought that, to some extent--I just haven't necessarily thought it was about God. But I know from watching my parents raise my sister, who is 14 years younger than I am, that the single best thing they did during her childhood was let her pursue horseback riding. Caring for her horses really shaped her life. She was responsible for these big beasts and built her days around that and I could really see how it gave her so much more character and an outward focus--instead of me, me, me...so that was kind of a baby less on in that for me.

Now I'm struggling through more with the thoughts on how to incorporate God more into my life. I just read the chapter last night about talking to God all day, and including him in your thoughts, and that resonated with me. I can talk, for sure!

User Tag List