Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit by Beth Moore - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-24-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, and welcome to our study!

I'm looking forward to reading through this book with you all. It's really fantastic. My women's group IRL began it last September, and we just finished it about a month ago. It is written as a daily devotional/study with a video and group discussions once a week, but we broke each 'book-week' into two.

What do you think the pace should be for an online study like this?

As for the book, I think the price is well worth it, but it's not necessary. I'd like to share the scriptures Beth references and some quotes of her writing that caught my attention, and I hope that those who have the book will share likewise. Then those who don't have the book will still get the main ideas. The main thing to me is the set of scriptures and the general perspective on them, and what you all think.

Here is a link to the book, if anyone's interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Beyond-...2078430&sr=1-1

How does this sound?
#2 of 13 Old 04-25-2010, 07:27 AM

I'd love to join in. Thank you The Amber Lily. I do not have the book, but will try to get a copy.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#3 of 13 Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd love to follow along with you.
#4 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 AM

that sounds fab! thanks!
#5 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks for joining in.

I think I will just write the highlights and Scriptures of one or two ' devotional days', and you all could comment and/or post your highlights as well as any Scriptures you know or have come across.

Week 1: Day 1: Many Hardships

Verse of the day: Acts 14:22

This 'day' features Acts 13 and 14 for the reason of setting the context of Galatia, since the rest of the study focuses on Paul's letter to the Galatians. However, I don't know the Book of Acts very well, and I don't really understand how these chapters are supposed to give insight to the Letter to the Galatians. I would say, read these at your leisure, and if you see how it relates let us know?

One part that I like is Acts 13:15-49 where Paul is asked to address and encourage a group of people, and how he presents the gospel to them.

Anyway, what I would suggest for context is to quickly read the Letter to the Galatians.

Week 1: Day 2: Pleasing God

Verse of the Day: Galatians 1:10

Beth writes, on page 17: "What does one issue have to do with the other? Approval and servanthood are connected because we become immediate slaves to the person(s) from whom we seek approval. You can only trust One to constantly be on the lookout for your best interest. Only One holds the future in His hands and knows your part in that future. Only One cares for you with a perfect and unconditional love. Only One can make 'all things work together for good'."

Reasons why Christ died for us:

Galatians 1:4
1st Peter 3:18
John 3:16
Romans 5:8

See also:

Galatians 1:1-24
Romans 6:1-23 (esp. 15-23)
Isaiah 48:17-19
Jeremiah 29:11-13

One of my personal favorites: Psalm 1:1-3.

Question: For you, what would it mean to seek only God's approval?

For me, I certainly try to. Part of it is are the instructions 'as much as it depends on you, live in peace with everyone' and 'submit to each other in reverence for Christ'. There are a few Christian people who I deeply respect and whose opinion matters to me because I believe it reflects God's opinion.
Otherwise I try to live according to the instructions in the Bible, and what I feel to be my conscience towards God.

I do tend to think too much about what the 'world' thinks of me in terms of monetary success, general accomplishments, and appearance. I am seeking balance in my life on these things but it's hard to sort out what is necessary and good and what is too much.

~~

I look forward to your thoughts; blessings and peace to you!
#6 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Just ordered my book today, so hoping to fully participate in a few days.

In response to the question, "What would it mean to seek only God's approval?" that is a tough one for me. I am newly Christian and still have a lot to reconcile. I think I do well to value the opinion's of those closest and most important in my life, as opposed to society in general. I consider those closest to me Godly, and so I guess I almost intertwine the two - if that makes any sense. In essense, if I am doing right by those I care for, then I am doing right by God.

#7 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Heyla all!

I'm moving this thread over to our book study forum, but I'll leave a link in Spirituality so new readers can find you more easily. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and enjoy the book!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

""In essense, if I am doing right by those I care for, then I am doing right by God. ""

Agreed. That's how I feel too.

Also, thanks, WombatClay.
#9 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

Here's the next study.

Week 1: Day 3: Crucified

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20

From there, my NKJV refers me to Romans 6:1-10.

"For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin.

"Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Any thoughts here, or questions?

Characteristics of the Crucified Life

1. Few will understand, and they will probably be the ones you have to relate to the most. Even Jesus' own close friends didn't always understand Him. See Matthew 26:36-46.

<Comments from my IRL study: Do you have two people you could call at the drop of a hat who will pray for you?> I am willing to be one of those people for any of you reading this or following along; PM me.

2. You must let go of your own agenda. "As long as you cleave to a personal agenda and continue to nurse your own will, the personalized daily will of God will be thwarted in you."

This is a hard one for me; I hesitate even in writing it. But I can say that the day always goes wonderfully (regardless even of stressful events) whenever I pray while I get dressed or drive to work, "May You come with me, and may I go with you today as I do my work. May the day go well, may I love the people I meet, and may I serve you. I commit this day to your will and purposes." I just feel open and ready for whatever the day brings, and more confident in my general work.

Beth refers to Hebrews 12:2, but I found the whole chapter helpful, and chapter 11 as well for some context.

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

3. Your intimate spiritual companions will be few, because not many who choose to walk this road.

4. Intense times of aloneness with God are required. God reserves the right to meet with you One-on-one. ... In the midst of your deepest difficulties, have you ever looked around and thought 'Where is everybody?' Sometimes God reserves the right to withhold others and to pull you aside with Him so you can experience what David did in 1st Samuel 30:6, "David found strength in the LORD His God."

I think I will leave it there for now... To be continued!

Blessings and peace to you all!
#10 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 AM

The Amber Lily, thank you for taking the time to share the key points of the bible study. I received my book yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed w/it, to say the least. I didn't expect it to be like such a workbook - finding the proper text, studying it, answering very specific questions. It feels very school-like and not very contemplative to me. I like your summaries much better.

When you asked, "Do you have two people you could call... to pray for you..." That hit a real emotional spot in me, as I certainly do not. We do not have any Christian friends IRL and our family is shocked, and I think a bit uncomfortable, with our religious journey. We are actively working on becoming more involved with our new church and meeting like-minded people, so hopefully this will change soon.

#11 of 13 Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Week 1: Day 3: Crucified, Part II

5. You will always be on the witness stand; always subject to the observation of others.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed."
1 Peter 3:15-16

See also Matthew 5:10-12, and Hebrews 12:1-3 again.

6. God will bring us out of our 'comfort zone'.

7. There will be times when our dignity if forfeited.

8. You must forego your rights.

9. You must accept that death is painful.

10. Because He was forsaken, you will never be.

Scriptures referenced here are:

Matthew 27:27-44
Psalm 91:1
Hebrews 2:9
Romans 8:38-39

This part is also hard for me to write, and I don't like a lot of these things. Its not really part of our 'mainstream' culture, even the Christian culture that I know of. And even if it is spoken by some Christians, not all of them seem to live by it. Some do of course, and they encourage and inspire me.

One of my favorite stories is of Jim Elliot, which is told in the book "Under the Shadow of the Almighty" by Elisabeth Elliot.

I'm not sure what to write on these, as I'm either not very good at them or simply not familiar with them thus far in my walk with our Lord. I know about being constantly watched by others, and I know about being led way outside my comfort zone. However, I don't like it, and this last year I've been rather frustrated with God about it, even as I see how much I have grown because of it. As far as giving up my dignity and rights - that I like even less.

Does anyone else have thoughts on these statements?
#12 of 13 Old 10-02-2010, 04:05 AM

I had completely forgotten about this thread. Mosied on over to this section and noticed I was subbed to a thread here! And its this one... interesting. I havent bought the book but I am doing a study on the fruit of the Spirit in a bible study group.

I was wondering if Amber Lily wanted to pick up the discussion where you left off or atleast update us here. How/if you've grown since the time this thread went quiet.

Im very sorry I didnt continue on in the study with you, you were doing a fab job. Its funny, well not funny actually, but interesting. Around the time of the start of this thread I was entering a somewhat difficult time, altho I hadnt seen it coming. I have ulcerative colitis and had been flaring pretty nastily for about a year on and off. It blew well out of proportion around the time I signed up for the thread and Ive not been right, healthwise, since... And Ive struggled with it. I cried about it for a good number of months and I think Im done crying about it now and ready to move on. Ive stumbled along the way too. Wanted to run away and not face the pain I was in. Ive basically just been absolutely miserable for the last several months. The flare is cleared up, for the most part, but Im still suffering residual effects and some new scary 'symptoms' have presented.

I am keen, however, to buck up again and stop wrestling and take hold of what God has in store for my life. Like what you mentioned in your last post here, its not at all pleasant. Im tired and kind of sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have found it also difficult to go thru this and not stumble when I dont have the irl prayer support. I think thats the hardest. My dh is a believer but spiritually speaking, practice-wise, prayer-wise etc, we arent always on the same page. Im new to my church community (reletively new 18 months, give or take) and Ive moved around a lot and every time we moved Id get stuck right into the local church. This time, for personal reasons, health and family priorities, I cant. I cant share with them some of the things I go thru, Ive learned the hard way about people and that it IS better to wait till you find some really good friends you can trust to confide in. So, Ive stumbled. Fell into despair and Im kind of withdrawing into myself, and Im a very outgoing, extroverted person. VERY! lol. ... Now, its kind of a job to get me to want to be involved with church, people, even, Im very sad to say, at this particular stage, my family.

So, yeah, God brings us, me, to places that are well and truely out of my comfort zone. Despite all Ive said, Im greatful actually. I wonder if we come to a point in our walks when we have opportunities to assess how we are, how we've already grown, and areas where there is still potential for growth . God hasnt let me go! Thank you God! lol. Im so tired and overwhelmed that I ...kinda dont care about much. Apathy, from tiredness, exhaustion, confusion (about presenting symptoms, etc) has me bewildered, but there is still plenty there in me to make me not want to let go of Christ. Never! I am so greatful for the love I recieve from him. Ya know how he will never leave nor forsake us? THAT is what Im greatful for. Bc there are times when we cant hold on any longer, and He still holds on to us. Thats what Im learning thru this stage.

I hope you can pop back in here and give us an update atleast. Id love to hear how you're getting on.

gen
#13 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Many Hardships Day 1 - It wants us to draw and label a time line representing the sequence of important historical events in the nation of Israel.  Can we get that by reading Acts 13?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page