Anyone wanna do a 'clean' book club? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I try hard to find modern fiction (actually written for ADULTS) that doesn't veer off to a detailed bedroom scene every other chapter, or describes depraved criminal activity in gory detail.  I'm also not a big fan of excessive swearing/profanity.  If there's anyone else who cares about these things and wants to read books that aren't all about Amish love stories or from the YA section, join my club!

I read a lot of classics over and over because I know they're 'safe' and I won't be walking away in disgust or getting rid of it so my kids don't pick it up someday and read things that are so against the values I want to raise them with.  But I would really like to investigate truly talented authors of our own day and age who can manage to create a vivid world withOUT making me sick to my stomach.

Examples:

I love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and I'm a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson now as well

I'm not so much a fan of Terry Goodkind, because the detailed descriptions of killing are really just too much.

I can handle the 'sex' in Twilight because it's not seriously detailed and focuses much more on emotion--but I'd really love to read something that goes beyond brain candy.

Classic literature I love and would love to see more like:

Anything and everything by Jane Austen

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Some of Dickens (has to have a happy ending, haven't really read it in years)

So, any ideas? Anyone? :)

#2 of 12 Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Have you read anything by Francine Rivers? It's fairly light but good storys. The one I just read is a fictionalised adaptation of the book of Hosea set in the american gold rush.

For secular reading Gil McNeil is an author I really enjoy although, as I think about it, there is a bit of swearing so might nit be what you're after.

Marian Keyes and Jane Green are also authors I enjoy. They both have a little bit of sex (JG more so than MK) but usually only one or two scenes per book.

Jodi Picoult? Again, a little bit of sex and or violence but usually only one or two scenes and not too graphic.

All of these are fairly light "chick lit" type authors though. Not sure who would be a modern equivalent of Jane Austin or Dickens. Have you read any Thea Astly? She is a bit of an aquired taste but no explicit sex or violence that I recall. It's been a while though, I couldn't really get into her. What about the Brontes? If you like Jane Austin you might like them although they are a bit grimmer IMO.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Most of my books are still in storage. I'll be interested to see what others recommend.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 12 Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 PM

I second Francine Rivers.  Such an amazing author. 

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#4 of 12 Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 PM

For modern authors, check out Connie Willis. Start with "To Say Nothing of the Dog." Another author you might like (if you haven't read him already) is Orson Scott Card--try "Ender's Game" or Pastwatch." And I think you'd love Alexander McCall Smith. Check out his "Number One Ladies' Detective Agency" series.

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#5 of 12 Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM

I'm interested but I have no suggestions for books.

#6 of 12 Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM

Read "the Guernsay Literary Potato Peel Society".  It was one of the best book I read last year and has no explicit sex scenes in it.

#7 of 12 Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 AM

English mystery novels-Elisabeth George, Martha Grimes, Anne Perry, Ruth Rendell. There is a murder in each book, or more than one, but the grisly details are left out for the most part. Also, sex is left to the imagination. Another great author is Maeve Binchy..I just finished Stieg Larsson's series and it was excellent. There is one graphic description of a rape, but it is central to the plot. I am so bummed that he is deceased, because he has such great characters. I second the Orson Scott Card recommendation, he's got a great series about the Immortals-I see that you are Mormon so you may have already read some of his stuff, as he is also a Mormon and has written some novels about Mormons-Lost Boys is one.. Also, you might enjoy the Pakesennarion series by Elizabeth Moon, if it is still in print, you library might have it. I like Jane Green too, her stuff is kind of brain candyish, but good. Sherlock Holmes is good classic reading, and if you like nonfiction at all, Antonia Fraser has some excellent books on the English monarchy-the Tudors mostly, although she wrote an excellent book about Eleanor of Aquitane as well.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#8 of 12 Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm interested, as well.  I mostly stick with YA.  Books written for adults tend to just be "too much" for me.  I like using my imagination and I don't like "language" or explicit intimate details. 

The only series I've read and enjoyed that is the obvious exception to that is the Stephanie Plum series.  I just read the latest and I felt like she used more "language" than in the past, but maybe I'm just more sensitive these days. 

Anyway...what book shall we read first? 

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#9 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I do like Anne Perry and Orson Scott Card.  Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll look into those authors as well. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who cares :)

#10 of 12 Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

How about Fannie Flagg?  My memory is that Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! and Standing in the Rainbow were heartwarming, and I don't remember any sex or violence.

I loved the Steig Larsson books, but there was definitely violence, especially in the first book, and unsavory characters.

#11 of 12 Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 AM

I've also heard GREAT things about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society..high up on my list of 'must reads'.

So is this turning into a book club? If so, I'll join and read along! Which book first?

T-lynn (25) married DH on 28/07/07 partners.gif DD Isla born 28/03/12 diaper.gif TTC #2

#12 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantylynn View Post

I've also heard GREAT things about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society..high up on my list of 'must reads'.

So is this turning into a book club? If so, I'll join and read along! Which book first?

This is a great book--if you haven't picked one yet, try this one out!

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Tags
Book Clubs , Book Surge

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page