The Residence
Pox
Singing to A Bulldog
The Leipzig Connection
Still Alice
Mermaid
Mint Juleps With Theodore Roosevelt
The Beatles

I try to get all my books autographed if at all possible. Mermaid and Singing To A Bulldog are personally autographed by the respective authors
pumabearclan likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get - eczema, allergies, diabetes, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, SPD, GBS, TPI, POTS, JRA, RA, JPA, CFS, SLE, fibromyalgia, encephalitis, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~

Last edited by applejuice; 04-16-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 105 Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, and have just picked up the sequel to it - Bring Up the Bodies.

How to be a Victorian is still sitting on my bedside table half unread... which is a shame because now it's about five days overdue at the library. It's good, but the Mantel books have been addicting. Guess I should return it and try again another time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog on small town homesteading.

#33 of 105 Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Saul Bellow Collected Stories

#34 of 105 Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
The Residence
Singing to a Bulldog

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get - eczema, allergies, diabetes, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, SPD, GBS, TPI, POTS, JRA, RA, JPA, CFS, SLE, fibromyalgia, encephalitis, neurological damage, coma, or death."

#35 of 105 Old 04-30-2015, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
Slow thread, but I'll give it a nudge. I miss these threads when MDC was more active. I'm reading The Piano Teacher, by Janice Lee.
Just finished it and not pleased with it. If anyone else has read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
#36 of 105 Old 04-30-2015, 03:51 PM

Finished Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel - good, but not as amazing as Wolf Hall. I feel like she could've tacked it on as a couple of last chapters to Wolf Hall, actually.

And now I need something else to read... I've been thinking about reading Alison Weir's historical fiction, but I have a personal issue with her since she's really critical of Philippa Gregory's work (who is my favorite historical fiction author), so... we'll see.

#37 of 105 Old 04-30-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
I read The Last Battle by Stephen Harding.
Amazon Amazon

FDR is dead; Hitler is dead. This book is about the very last battle in the European theatre fought this very week 70 yrs ago for control of the Castle Itter in the Austrian Tyrol fought with German deserters and American forces against the last Nazi holdout of the war.

Ask yourself why the Nazi propaganda machine put the French diplomats in this castle for the duration of the war. The answer should enlighten you. The story is excellent; sadly the American who lead this battle did not do well in civilian life. Very sad commentary on how hard life is for many soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter
Nemi27 likes this.

#38 of 105 Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Just finished it and not pleased with it. If anyone else has read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I read it a couple of years ago. It was not special.

Need a good novel. The nonfiction is staring me down.
Turquesa likes this.
#39 of 105 Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I saw the movie & thought the story was revolting
Turquesa likes this.
#40 of 105 Old 05-03-2015, 11:49 AM

It's a movie now???

The book couldn't decide what it wanted to be. An introspective, female Bildungsroman of Claire's evolution from ingenue to worldly woman? No, you never really get to know Claire because her character is stagnant, insipid, and rather generic. A love story with a developing romance? No, I'm never really convinced that there was any love, let alone lust, between Claire and Will, and Trudy just seemed like a spoiled, whiny little sister. A historical depiction of life in Hong Kong surrounding the time of Japanese invasion? Maybe. That was the most interesting part. But the novel only went in and out of that aspect. A novel of murder, mystery, and intrigue? Heck no. That whole Crown Collection plot isn't even introduced until the last 1/3 of the book. Also, the author's attempts at abstract vagueness felt a little contrived and inconsistent. But then, this book had no real "flow" to it, so I don't know what consistency would look like.

I need some better historical fiction now and will entertain recommendations.
applejuice likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

#41 of 105 Old 05-03-2015, 03:37 PM

"Bildungsroman" - how marvelous to read your post!

It seems the movie is an entirely different work from the novel. I discourage spending time with the movie, it was soo... Ibsen. And just gross.

As for historical fiction, hmm, that's my husband's specialty, he liked Conversation in the Cathedral, my favorite read recently for latin fiction was The Invisible Mountain; we like Saul Bellow, and his work is historically anchored; I liked The Plague; we both liked I, Claudius and Things Fall Apart; I also liked The Garden of the Finzi-Continis.

I never get tired of non-fiction, it's what I read to relax, haha. Literature is so demanding
Turquesa likes this.
#42 of 105 Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 PM

It depends. Non-fiction gets pretty demanding, and lit can be delightfully escapist! I started into this but decided that it was too cerebral for my worn-out Mommy Brain, (I cram in most of my reading at the end of the day). Maybe I'll regain some brain cells as my kids get older.
pumabearclan likes this.

#43 of 105 Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
That looks really interesting. Political theory is my primary field of interest, especially postmodernism, nationalism and the World Wars. I think I will take a look!

Is it also an interest of yours, since you were reading this book?
#44 of 105 Old 05-08-2015, 06:07 PM

Finally got Dead Wake by Erik Larson from the library. I really enjoy his books because they read like novels.

#45 of 105 Old 05-08-2015, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
subbing...

I'm re-reading This Land was Theirs:A Study of North American Indians it is a college textbook. Only read parts for class. Now I'm reading more at my pace
pumabearclan likes this.
#46 of 105 Old 05-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Mother's Day gifts to read

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography
by Laura Ingalls Wilder

1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson
Neera likes this.
#47 of 105 Old 05-10-2015, 06:59 PM

I ordered Patternmaking for a Perfect Fit for myself a few days ago. It should arrive right after I'm done reading Dead Wake!
pumabearclan likes this.

#48 of 105 Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I've ordered How to win friends and influence people by Carnegie.

Don't imagine the worst incidents in your emotional life -- keep a positive attitude.

Last edited by Neera; 06-15-2016 at 01:39 PM.
#49 of 105 Old 05-15-2015, 06:52 AM

#50 of 105 Old 05-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Pioneer girl - finished! It was OK.
#51 of 105 Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Pioneer girl - finished! It was OK.
Lucky - I still haven't been able to get a copy. :-(

#52 of 105 Old 06-24-2015, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Nazmum, how is the vegan book? Would you recommend it?

I'm currently reading Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
#53 of 105 Old 06-24-2015, 03:39 AM

Viola the book is OK? Not sure if I would recommend it or not. I did make a few things. Nothing really stands out to me.
#54 of 105 Old 06-30-2015, 06:00 AM

The Sociological Imagination, Mills
Nazsmum likes this.
#55 of 105 Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabearclan View Post
The Sociological Imagination, Mills
"In so far as the family as an institution turns women into darling little slaves and men into their chief providers and unweaned dependents, the problem of a satisfactory marriage remains incapable of purely private solution."

Whoa. This is getting to be a page-turner!
Nemi27 likes this.
#56 of 105 Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 AM

Girl in the Band:A memoir by Kim Gordon
#57 of 105 Old 07-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Drive without fear : the insecure driver's guide to independence

Don't imagine the worst incidents in your emotional life -- keep a positive attitude.

Last edited by Neera; 07-24-2015 at 07:03 AM.
#58 of 105 Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 PM

Finally found an engaging novel - The Boleyn King by Laura Andersen. It's Tudor history, re-imagined - what if Anne Boleyn had been delivered of a son, that survived to be king?

#59 of 105 Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I'm re-reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl with my youngest daughter. Does that count?

I've been trying to get back into reading books again. I had a mental breakdown a few years ago while I was working on a degree in English literature (plus 2 other literature related minors), and it's been very hard to read for recreation since then. Reading books that I've already read before helps, but I want to read new things again (but without anxiety) and enjoy them.

I have been reading bits of a post-apocalyptic novel called The Flu by Jacqueline Druga, which is about a global pandemic and a disease-free haven in Ohio. I'll post more of a review after I'm able to finish it. So far, it's a comfortable read.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
, co-parent to 3 additional children... plus one on the way.
#60 of 105 Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just recently read "Brianna on the brink". It is about a teen who has a one-night stand with a teacher's husband and the husband dies while they are being intimate, and she ends up pregnant. It is story about the effects of teen pregnancy in high school and difficult situations and decisions that a pregnant teen may have to face.

I am not 100 percent sure what I am going to read next, but I will try to remember to update this post when I have found my next read!

Last edited by dphilippe; 07-25-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Tags
Book Clubs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page