MDC Book Club Middlesex - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Out of all the books I've read for book clubs, Middlesex was by far the most artful and memorable. It still comes back to me at unexpected times and I really loved it. Has anyone read his other book The Virgin Suicides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 PM

i haven't read the virgin suicides. i saw the movie when it came out in 2000, or whenever it was. i wasn't sufficiently interested to seek out the book. although, having loved middlesex so much, maybe i should give it a try. can anyone saw whether it's worthwhile?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 AM

I loved Middlesex- what a great book; so different. I wasn't impressed with the movie Virgin Suicides, but maybe the book is better (but perhaps not).

I am often disappointed when I seek out books by the same author- Anita Diamont, author of The Red Tent, wrote a couple stinkers. Same with Frank Yerby, author of the epic adventure Goatsong. IMHO of course!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 06-08-2008, 12:49 AM

I haven't read Middlesex, but I have read The Virgin Suicides many times. I actually bought the book new in 1993. Anyway, even if you have seen the movie, read the book. The movie actually followed the movie really well, but there is still a lot more in the book. The story was really good, and it made you really feel for the characters.

I tried to read Middlesex when it first came out because I loved The Virgin Suicides so much, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM

man...I had this book and started reading it...was good... bt I have not seen it in forever.

glad you ladies liked it

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm about halfway through - reading this for my book club this summer. I think its getting more interesting now. So do you guys think it is autobiographical? Any info on whether or not Jeffrey Eugenides is a hermaphrodite? just curious

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendentalMom View Post
I'm about halfway through - reading this for my book club this summer. I think its getting more interesting now. So do you guys think it is autobiographical? Any info on whether or not Jeffrey Eugenides is a hermaphrodite? just curious
I'm fairly certain it's fiction.

User Tag List