The big HP and the Deathly Hallows thread! *Contains spoilers* - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Yeah, cause after a while I was thinking it was Hermione Granger's Never Ending Polyjuice Bowl.
No...it was Moody's, remember? Hermoine ran off with Moody's polyjuice stash.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#302 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I find it a lot more easy to believe that Aberforth is diddling the goats.
hence his patronus? (hey- if Snape's patronus is a doe because of love- then Aberforth's could be too!)
#303 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
Alright- my task.. I need a list of how many deaths are in the book.. who's going to help me?

Madeye
Hegwid
Dobby
tonks
Lupin
Snape
Voldemort (although he's bad )
Harry
Fred
Harry didn't die.
#304 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Harry didn't die.
I think he did- he just came back.
#305 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace View Post
Nope. It says in POA that the charm was performed barely a week before the Potters were killed.
Isn't it entirely possible that the Potter's did live here since Harry was born or before, but once the Fidelius charm was performed, that's when the house and all became unfindable. Therefore, Sirius could send b-day presents and Bathilda could visit . . . all until a week before the death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Ya know, it was only one word so it doesn't seem *too* implausible. It is a little odd he would remember it five years later though.

Ron is not known for being particularly attentive or subtle, so it doesn't seem to make much sense.
It specifically mentions that Harry used the word "Open" in parseltongue several times to try to open the Snitch in front of Ron. It's alwaysfunny what you can drag up from your subconscious when you really really need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post
I've got one... when did Harry get his Apparition license? For people so worried about being detected, they failed to cover that one.
I thought that he was always doing Side-Along Apparition. For what I remember, it seems like someone was always grabing his hand to drag him along. I don't think he would lave a trace if he was dragged along with someone else's Appartition

Me , + 4 + 2 rats = home
Zoe Faith ~ 11/01/08
#306 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I feel like the time with Dumbledore in real time was only seconds. Although I can see your point - I just disagree!
#307 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM

ok, I want to talk a little bit more about Mrs. Weasley's B quote.. remember when Ron was going to break the horcrux, and it said something about they didn't want a boy or why did he have to be a boy, or something? I was just wondering if anyone remembers from previous books about the Weasley's having many kids in pursuit of a girl?

I have 5 sons, and if someone came after my elusive little girl... just thinking out loud here.
#308 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Harry didn't die.
Quote:
No, he was unconscious and tat's when he met Dumbledore. He was given the chance to die (be at peace) or live (go back and face the horrors already done and the possible horrors to come). He chose to live and then his consciousness was returned to his unconscious body.

That's what I got from it, anyway.

Me , + 4 + 2 rats = home
Zoe Faith ~ 11/01/08
#309 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAMama View Post
No, he was unconscious and tat's when he met Dumbledore. He was given the chance to die (be at peace) or live (go back and face the horrors already done and the possible horrors to come). He chose to live and then his consciousness was returned to his unconscious body.

That's what I got from it, anyway.
Yes, in the two minutes since I posted I've been thinking about how Dumbledore has made in clear before that there is no way to bring back the dead. I believe that Harry did not die.
#310 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I feel like the time with Dumbledore in real time was only seconds. Although I can see your point - I just disagree!
I don't think the time he was gone is the issue here, but where he was while he was gone..
#311 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I agree with you totally

Quote:
ok, I want to talk a little bit more about Mrs. Weasley's B quote.. remember when Ron was going to break the horcrux, and it said something about they didn't want a boy or why did he have to be a boy, or something? I was just wondering if anyone remembers from previous books about the Weasley's having many kids in pursuit of a girl?
I don't think it is ever mentioned like that cause I think it's not true. The Weasleys wanted and loved ALL their boys. The Horcrux was lying to Ron about that, just like it lied to him about Harry and Hermione being in love. Mrs. Weasley had just HAD it with the loss of Fred and she saw another child in danger. I think Bellatrix could have been going after Percy at that point, and Mrs. Weasley would have reacted the same way. She'd lost one baby, she wasn't going to lose another.

Me , + 4 + 2 rats = home
Zoe Faith ~ 11/01/08
#312 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is ever mentioned like that cause I think it's not true. The Weasleys wanted and loved ALL their boys. The Horcrux was lying to Ron about that, just like it lied to him about Harry and Hermione being in love. Mrs. Weasley had just HAD it with the loss of Fred and she saw another child in danger. I think Bellatrix could have been going after Percy at that point, and Mrs. Weasley would have reacted the same way. She'd lost one baby, she wasn't going to lose another.
I think the Horcrux was playing on Ron's insecurities. I don't think the Weasley's loved their daughter more, but I think Ron feared that just like he feared that Hermoine would favor "famous Harry Potter" more than him.
#313 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Ron heard harry say Open" in parseltongue when he opened the locket just after ron came back and they got the sword. THATS how he knew how to say it... not just from opening the chamber years ago.
#314 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM

I wasn't happy with the way the Goblin thing came out. At the end of the Battle of Hogwarts, everyone is running around all deliriously sad and happy at the same time--house-elves, giants, everyone together. But no goblins. I felt badly that the goblin that helped Harry break into Gingotts felt he had to swipe the sword in the end (which was more or less true, since Harry wasn't going to give it to him for a long time), and that he obviously wasn't able to keep it even at that. Of course, it is not a sword that CAN belong to someone (as is explained in the chapter on Dumbledore's Will), but still...he helped and then ended up shafted.

I was glad that I stuck with Severus in my mind throughout. He came through! He knew as soon as he saw Nagini in that protective charm that he HAD to get to Harry ASAP, to tell him what DD had said. I bawled when he wanted Harry to look at him as he died, so that the last thing he saw was Lilly's eyes.

I didn't mind the cheesy epilogue. I think the whole point of it was that Harry finally got to have a lovely, boring, tight-knit family life like he'd always wanted, which was sort of what everyone was fighting for all along.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#315 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Was I the only one that kept thinking about mad'eye's eye?

I also kindof expected the tiara to lead to something..

Alright- my task.. I need a list of how many deaths are in the book.. who's going to help me?

Madeye
Hegwid
Dobby
tonks
Lupin
Snape
Harry
Fred
Bellatrix
Fenrir?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#316 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 PM

I don't think it is totally clear Fenrir is killed (um..not that I care if he dies or anything) he did get clobbered but he might have lived.

Charity Burbage
Bathilda Bagshot (ew!)

#317 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
I wasn't happy with the way the Goblin thing came out. At the end of the Battle of Hogwarts, everyone is running around all deliriously sad and happy at the same time--house-elves, giants, everyone together. But no goblins. I felt badly that the goblin that helped Harry break into Gingotts felt he had to swipe the sword in the end (which was more or less true, since Harry wasn't going to give it to him for a long time), and that he obviously wasn't able to keep it even at that. Of course, it is not a sword that CAN belong to someone (as is explained in the chapter on Dumbledore's Will), but still...he helped and then ended up shafted.
The sword did get taken away again, which might have irritated the Goblins.

#318 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 PM

Oh ... and Luna's room, with the paintings of Ron and Harry and Hermione and Ginny and Neville on the ceiling with the golden linking words of friends ...

And Neville ... DW just got to the part where he takes Harry Ron and Hermione into the Room of Requirement ... and she said "So, Neville became the Phantom of Hogwarts." :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#319 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
"So, Neville became the Phantom of Hogwarts."
: I'd love to see someone photoshop a pic of Neville from the movies, with a Phantom mask!
#320 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Oh ... and Luna's room, with the paintings of Ron and Harry and Hermione and Ginny and Neville on the ceiling with the golden linking words of friends ...
I loved that part!!!!
#321 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the whole thing...

I did feel like there were some serious plot holes and inconsistencies. I mean I stopped reading when Neville pulled Gryffindor's sword out of the hat, and went back to see if I'd missed something. That and the amazing polyjuice-potion-that-lasts-as-long-as-you-need-it. In CoS they barely got down to the Slytherin common room and questioned Malfoy before they changed back- but they're wandering all over the ministry now? When did Harry change back into himself after the wedding? I kept feeling that there were chunks missing.

I will admit I bawled like a baby during Kreacher's story about Regulus, Snape's memories, and Harry's 'will it hurt?'.
I WAS RIGHT ABOUT SNAPE! Bless the man! He always had the best dialogue.

My icky points-
Dumbledore should have stayed dead. Advice and help should not be given from beyond the grave. Self reliance!
Why did we spend so much time talking about Hallows if we never actually used them???
You don't leave powerful and potentially dangerous magical objects just lying around where anyone can just wander by and pick them up!
Whatever happened to the Dursley's?
The epilogue. It had a lot of children named after dead people and that was it. But apparently Harry does not work at Hogwarts which is where I thought he'd end up at the end.
I wished Ginny would have had a larger role. I kept expecting to finally get to see her really kick some butt.

I did like how important Harry's mother is to the over all plot. She willingly dies to protect Harry thus saving him and dealing a major blow to Voldemort. And because of his love of her Snape protects Harry and helps him 'save the world'. I think Dumbledore even says that Harry's nature is much like his mother's.

Personally, I'm hoping for a missing chapter to show up though!
#322 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Isn't it entirely possible that the Potter's did live here since Harry was born or before, but once the Fidelius charm was performed, that's when the house and all became unfindable. Therefore, Sirius could send b-day presents and Bathilda could visit . . . all until a week before the death.
That's very true. I've been so busy trying to figure out how the Charm lifted to where the house was visible again after James and Lily were killed that, even after reading that part of POA again, I forgot that the letter was most likely written a couple of months before the Charm was performed.

But then, the rest of Lily's letter doesn't make much sense. She says that James was getting frustrated being shut up, and that when Wormtail visited he seemed "down"...what would he have to be down about at that time, really? And why would James be keeping himself shut up if they weren't officially in hiding yet? Without the Fidelius Charm, Voldemort could have found them easily, shut up or not.

But what really doesn't make sense is, why was the Charm only performed a week before they were killed? Voldemort had heard the first half of the prophecy before Harry was even born; you would think that Dumbledore would have perhaps suggested the Fidelius Charm to both the Potters and the Longbottoms as soon as he realized that Snape had heard Professor Trelawney make the prediction and had passed that information to Voldemort. Surely, once Voldemort learned of Harry's birth and decided that Harry was the threat to him, he immediately started tracking them?

Oy, I'm giving myself a headache trying to sort it all out!
#323 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I want to talk a little bit more about Mrs. Weasley's B quote.. remember when Ron was going to break the horcrux, and it said something about they didn't want a boy or why did he have to be a boy, or something? I was just wondering if anyone remembers from previous books about the Weasley's having many kids in pursuit of a girl?
http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en..._view.cfm?id=7
Quote:
Ginny (full name Ginevra, not Virginia), is the first girl to be born into the Weasley clan for several generations.
There are also rumors about the seventh daughter of the seventh daughter, but I'm not sure how that would work out, since Molly didn't have 7 daughters. ETA: Neither does Molly seem to be a seventh daughter. Maybe, but we're only told of her and 2 brothers.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#324 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 PM

I'm not sure I've ever been so happy to be wrong! I thought for sure that Harry would have to die.

I was very taken in with the book - only stopped reading because my parents were spending the weekend with us and we took the kids to the waterpark and out boating and I didn't think I should blow off spending time with my own parents and children to read about a boy who missed out on time with his parents.

None of the children ever killed another person through cursing or spells did they? (Crabbe died because of his own spell) I was wanting Neville to avenge his parents torture by somehow killing Bellatrix, but I guess I can settle for him killing Nagini. I hope Bella's death somehow causes his parents to become sane again, but I guess having his grandmother's praise and respect at last was the thing Neville most desired.

I will definitely be rereading this book again soon.

The 19 years later ending was cheesy, but it was a good-makes-me-happy sort of cheese!

Gosh, I kept wondering how they will attempt to film this movie too! It will definitely need large chunks left out, with pieces patched together.

Hehehe - I would like to see a scene where the British Prime Minister meets the new "other minister" and it is his old secretary!

I thought the Percy rejoining his family was a bit lame - he turned away from them for years - I thought something big would need to happen for him to rejoin them.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#325 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Was I the only one that kept thinking about mad'eye's eye?

I also kindof expected the tiara to lead to something..

Madeye
Hegwid
Dobby
tonks
Lupin
Snape
Harry
Fred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Bellatrix
Fenrir?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I don't think it is totally clear Fenrir is killed (um..not that I care if he dies or anything) he did get clobbered but he might have lived.

Charity Burbage
Bathilda Bagshot (ew!)
Add to the list -

Vincent Crabbe
Dirk Cresswell
Ted Tonks
Wormtail
Nagini

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#326 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 PM

The Goblins not celebrating felt true to their characters in my opinion.

The werewolf was "brought down" but that could be open to interpretation.

It was a lie that Molly didn't love Ron as much as Ginny.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#327 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post

I thought the Percy rejoining his family was a bit lame - he turned away from them for years - I thought something big would need to happen for him to rejoin them.
When Percy ran into his father on the elevator, he was scared. He wasn't all haughty and superior, he was afraid of being seen with someone on the Ministry's %$& list. Maybe that was a little hint that he was questioning his loyalty to the Ministry.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#328 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
I liked it... I cried my eyes out (and I *never* cry) when Harry used the stone in the forest and those who loved him accompanied him on his walk... "we'll be with you to the end" That was just so moving.

I LOVED that Neville kicked butt. And I laughed out loud at Trelawney "I have more, anybody want one?" LOLOL

I thought it was clever the way she had Voldie putting a "taboo" on his name so anyone who used it could be traced... very smart.

I still think that if Snape truly LOVED Lily and wasn't just infatuated, that he wouldn't have been so consistently horrible to Harry, regardless that he looked like his dad. I don't find unrequited love to be terribly romantic, though, so, maybe it's just me. I thought it was incredibly cheesy that he wanted to look into Harry's eyes as he died.

And what was up with him oozing out memories? He didn't have a wand, right? Or did he? I was amazed that he allowed voldie to kill him considering that voldie all but TOLD him that's what he was about to do and we KNOW that Snape is FAST at spells (it was repeated in the series OVER AND OVER that before XYZ knew it, Snape had put up a shield charm) kind of seems unrealistic that he wouldn't have been prepared to protect himself (unless he didn't have a wand, and then, how did he ooze out the memories?)

All in all it was a fun read. I can't wait to re-read it!

Put me in the hated the epilogue camp, too... I am really hoping for a book that simply fills in the back stories, bios, and what happened in the intervening years.
I thought that the oozing memories was sort of because he was so good at occlumency. He obviously could control access to his thoughts/memories, so I thought that he as just able to "release" the memories and because he was bleeding, they sort of just "bled" out of him.
#329 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
i don't think it made a diference,and he was useing side along
I'm about halfway through my second read of the book and you're right... he is always Apparating with someone else... but why would they not have made this point? It's driving me nuts. For 6 books this series has been steeped in details. Now we can't figure out how a Fidelius Charm works, they never mention that Harry must use Side-Along Apparition, Polyjuice potion works way longer than it's supposed to...

Has the world gone mad?

I find this so frustrating.
#330 of 1280 Old 07-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
As for Tonks leaving her baby to go fight in a war: It bugged me that Tonks would put "being in on the action" ahead of her baby. As for feeding the baby, either her mother used a relactation charm or had some form of baby bottle and ebm, formula, or whole milk. Whatever was intended for a few hours babysitting would have worked long term, unless Tonks had left some ebm that couldn't be easily replaced.

I don't see this as JKR's weakness, or a weakness in the plot, but as a weakness in Nymphadora Tonks.
Isn't it funny what we bring to the books ourselves? I totally had this same entire conversation with myself as I was reading! I thought, wow, I hope baby Teddy didn't get werewolf teeth from Lupin! Owwww! And then I was so sad for that baby when they died. I'm glad Teddy and his grandma had each other, after all their losses.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page