The big HP and the Deathly Hallows thread! *Contains spoilers* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2007, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cried like a baby about Dobby and Hedwig...that just happened too fast for me. I had tears of joy at Kreacher leading the house elves army. Tonks and Remus? Doomed from the start...poor baby Teddy. I didn't like the dead/not dead thing with Harry, I'll admit. I felt really sorry for the Malfoys. Molly rocked my mama-bear world! I'm curious how this book will look on film...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 08:01 PM

I thought the ending was good, and I thought it did the story justice.

Yes, I had a problem with the cheese factor. I think at this stage the cheese gets a little unavoidable, though.

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
I was very, very pissed about both Tonks and Lupin! How could she? Poor Teddy.

I'm still processing all this stuff, but how exactly did Draco defeat Dumbledore? I'm still not quite sure on that one. Is it because he spared him on the tower at the end of book six?

Honestly I though the whole let's-hide-in-the-woods-and-brood thing was too long. It really slowed up the story for me.

Overall though, the issues I have after the first reading are nitpicks. It's been a wild ride for these last few years!!

Oh, and do we really have to use spoiler tags? Can we get an official ruling? I thought this thread was "the spoiler thread."
Old 07-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Warning: post below contains spoilers. Do not read if you don't want to know. Though, if you don't want to know, why the heck are you in the Deathly Hallows spoiler thread!?

I'm done. I don't think I can discuss much yet because I am still processing. And, a little weepy. I might need a nap first. I read from about 2 last night til 5 am, then slept til 11am, then did a little housework and read until I finished. I wanted to stop but after I got to the point of them at Gringott's, I just felt compelled to finish.

My one critique for now, and I think someone else already mentioned it.... I could really have used a chapter between the final Hogwart's scene and the epilogue. A little bit more of the trio together as young adults, a scene of Ginny and Harry getting back together, the issue of who would raise Tonks and Lupin's baby being discussed, etc. I just needed a bit more before we zoomed 19 years into the future.

But, altogether, I loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post

Oh, and do we really have to use spoiler tags? Can we get an official ruling? I thought this thread was "the spoiler thread."
: I thought this thread was just that - the official spoiler thread. A "you shouldn't step foot in here if you don't want to be spoiled" type of thing. I didn't think tags were necessary. The first post clearly states you are going to get spoiled if you keep reading. Can we stop with the tags? They are so unwieldly!

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Dar

Lisa - Draco successfully disarmed Dumbledore when he first entered the tower, thus "defeating" him and the elder wand.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Lisa - Draco successfully disarmed Dumbledore when he first entered the tower, thus "defeating" him and the elder wand.

dar
They also made a big deal in the book about Harry asking Ollivander whether or not the owner of the elder wand needed to be killed in order for it's allegiance to transfer.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:11 PM

Oh my gosh, I loved it! I was so afraid the Snape thing was *not* going to go how I hoped...but YAY it did in the end! I was crying so hard during Harry's foray into the Penseive. When he said "Always"... *boooohoooooo*:

And yeah, TWO deaths??!!

But really, my fave so far. It seemed to get going quickly and kept going...

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

Old 07-21-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
A lot of things are wrapped up but I don't think everything was. :

There is a big hole between the end of the fight and the epilogue and I found that irritating. I could have used another chapter before the epilogue.
I found the post I was looking for! Abimommy, you are the person who also discovered my major problem with the book. Let's discuss this sometime. I felt majorly let down about the sudden jump to almost 2 decades in the future. I needed more wrap-up. I needed to see the trio together again as young adults for just a bit without Voldy hanging over their head. That's why I never thought one of them would die. Their relationship was key to the entire series. I wanted to SEE Ginny and Harry get back together. I wanted a bit of mention of George and how he'll deal with the loss of his twin. Etc. etc.

I still have a vague hope that JK will someday print a book of all the missing stuff. Her notes about Potter world with more details. You just know that she knows exactly in her head how this all played out.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

I just finished my 6 hour read-a-thon.

I thought she chickened out. I was expecting her to have a "take no prisoners" approach and let everything play out. I fully expecting at least one of the three to die. Hagrid or Minerva as well. I expected a Weasley, but either ARthur or Molly.

Harry dying and then coming back...too cheesy for my taste. And the 19 year gap...it's like the end of Stephen King's Dark Tower series...like she just wanted to wrap it up nice and neat and quicklike. No heart, just fluff.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. Overall, I love the series, and I can't wait for my daughter to read them some day.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:38 PM

I totally agree with you gealach (as well as abimommy)- the ending just seemed very abrupt to me. We just had this epic battle and evil is vanquished, we lost a good deal of characters that we knew and loved, and nothing is said until 19 years later. I love the Albus Severus thing- really, I loved it. I loved getting to see Harry as a dad. But I would have liked a little more of the middle time- we've never seen Harry as Harry- he has always been "the Boy Who Lived" or "the Chosen One."
Old 07-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Can anyone tell me the significance of Ron and Hermione's children's names? I mean, Harry and Ginny's kids' names were obvious. But, maybe I am just too sleepy to remember stuff right now. Are Hugo and Rose meaningful in some way that I am just not clued in to at the moment?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 PM

i haven't read it yet, but i need to know : --harry has lily's eyes--does this mean that snape is his father? if not, what does it mean?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainymorning View Post
i haven't read it yet, but i need to know : --harry has lily's eyes--does this mean that snape is his father? if not, what does it mean?
It means Lily was Harry's mother.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

OK, here's my question of the night--

Harry is crap at Occulmency. He freely admits this, and Hermione reminds him of it every other chapter. So why does he have a free pass into the daily activities of Voldemort, but Voldie doesn't have a clue what's going on in Potterville? Did I miss something?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
It means Lily was Harry's mother.
but we knew THAT! why to remind snapes of it?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
but we knew THAT! why to remind snapes of it?
Go read your book. :

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Go read your book. :
amazon.ca just emailed that my order was being PROCESSED! it will be another week at LEAST!!!

you can't leave me suffering here! :

eta: i pre-ordered in march!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

I just don't know how to tell you without giving the whole store away.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
OK, here's my question of the night--

Harry is crap at Occulmency. He freely admits this, and Hermione reminds him of it every other chapter. So why does he have a free pass into the daily activities of Voldemort, but Voldie doesn't have a clue what's going on in Potterville? Did I miss something?
Dumbledore answers this, I think. I can't quite remember where though, so it might take me a while to find it. I'll be back later with my/Dumbledore's answer.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I just don't know how to tell you without giving the whole store away.
plllllllllleeeeeease!: it could be TWO weeks. that's no life!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
plllllllllleeeeeease!: it could be TWO weeks. that's no life!
You could always find an internet link...

I'm not offering one. I don't have one.

Or read the abridged version I linked to earlier if you really want to be spoiled.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gealach View Post
Dumbledore answers this, I think. I can't quite remember where though, so it might take me a while to find it. I'll be back later with my/Dumbledore's answer.
if I remember correctly it's because Harry can love, can show remorse, etc... Voldie can't enter Harry's mind because these emotions that he doesn't feel in his own body, causes him great pain.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
if I remember correctly it's because Harry can love, can show remorse, etc... Voldie can't enter Harry's mind because these emotions that he doesn't feel causes him great pain.
But he didn't mind in Books 5 or 6? That confused me.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Okay, that took less time than I expected. Annettemarie, the answer ( or what I believe the answer to be) is on page 684/685 of the US edition of Deathly Hallows. It is one of the last times Dumbledore/Snape talk (the pensieve scene).

Dumbledore says, in answer to Snape's question of why Dumbledore confides so much in a boy who has a direct connection to Voldemorts mind... "Voldemort fears that connection. Not so long ago he had one small taste of what truly sharing Harry's mind means to him. It was pain such as he has never experienced. He will not try to possess Harry again, I am sure of it. Not in that way."

Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 PM

I was disappointed with the ending as well. To finish the battle and then be 19 years in the future, sending their children off to Hogwarts was too much for me, having Draco there. : It felt like a cop out to me. I wasn't too fond of Harry dying and coming back, it felt like Meredith all over again for those GA fans who know what I'm talking about.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay, that took less time than I expected. Annettemarie, the answer ( or what I believe the answer to be) is on page 684/685 of the US edition of Deathly Hallows. It is one of the last times Dumbledore/Snape talk (the pensieve scene).

Dumbledore says, in answer to Snape's question of why Dumbledore confides so much in a boy who has a direct connection to Voldemorts mind... "Voldemort fears that connection. Not so long ago he had one small taste of what truly sharing Harry's mind means to him. It was pain such as he has never experienced. He will not try to possess Harry again, I am sure of it. Not in that way."
Dumbledore (and Ron for that matter) "just knowing" things sort of got on my nerves. It was a little too deus ex machina for my taste.

Peony, I loved the resurrection imagery with Harry dying and coming back to life. As a Christian, I thought this book had some really cool stuff to say that will hopefully shut up the "OMG! It's witchcraft!!!" crowd forever.

ETA: And thanks for looking that up. I have Babymort on my lap and couldn't grab my copy.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:

See that's what made me think of the emotions that caused him that the great pain.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and the other thing that frosted my twinkie?

"Yeah, I just tried to remember what you hissed at the sink back when we were second years and just sort of hissed in the general direction of the pipes, and bing, bang, boom, next thing you knew we had basilisk fangs. Who knew Parseltongue was so easy?"

Ok.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:15 PM

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to start rereading the book right now or wait a day or two and let some more sink in.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

I went and saw Hairspray tonight cause I needed a Potter break.

Oh, want to see cute kid pics?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_1377.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_1378.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_1382.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...cture_1384.jpg

GoodWillHunting made the Gryffindor longies. I have more pics on my LJ if anyone wants to see them.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, and the other thing that frosted my twinkie?

"Yeah, I just tried to remember what you hissed at the sink back when we were second years and just sort of hissed in the general direction of the pipes, and bing, bang, boom, next thing you knew we had basilisk fangs. Who knew Parseltongue was so easy?"

Ok.
Yeah, that was odd. :

So when the part of Voldie's soul left Harry, did he lose the ability to speak/understand Parseltongue?

I would of liked to see what happened to Kreacher, I was starting to like him.

I cried so hard when Dobby died, I just loved him. I even named our dog after him.

User Tag List