Slowly savoring HP7 - discussion group (NO SPOILERS post #1) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else finding herself not rushing through the book? I only got through the first 80 pages last night because I was too tired to really keep reading in depth. I'm enjoying taking it slowly, and savoring the pages instead of getting to the end. However, I do want to talk about it as we go, so here's a group that's discussing as we go...I'll update the OP with information of what posts contain the chapters as we go on, so you don't read ahead if you haven't gotten there yet.

So, to start...
Chapters 1-5 (pages 1-85) = posts 1-?

*Do not discuss past chapter 5 until we open the discussion for it, please!*

I'll add my thoughts later...

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 PM

Just subbing. I've finished the book, but I solemnly swear I am up to no....oh, wait, I mean I solemnly swear not to spoil! But, I want to join in the fun when the discussion starts. I am patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for more people to finish and join the official spoiler thread. Have fun reading! I really wish I weren't done yet. I tried to read more slowly but I just got caught up in it.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#3 of 21 Old 07-21-2007, 10:59 PM

DH just brought it home for me! I am not going to rush it- I know I'll be sad when it is over. I just read the first 5 pages, and LOOK, I'm here on MDC I've got it bad for MDC But then again, DH is in there making dinner, DD is finished nursing, so I really have no excuse to be sitting here reading. But tonight, after everyone has gone to bed.... might be a different story :
#4 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 03:28 AM

(I'm going to put some spoiler tags, just in case, but we've only read chapters 1-4 here so far)

- I love how there's action happening already. WOOHOO, bring it on!
- I'm fascinated to see what we find out about Aunt Petunia...there has been a lot of foreshadowing about her, and I don't really have any theories as to her importance to the story.
- I love Dudley in the 2nd chapter.
- I think I should have completely re-read HBP before I started DH...there are some things I'm confused about, characters I don't really remember, etc.

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
- HEDWIGGGGG!!! :
- DH and I are dying to know who fell off their brooms in Chapter 4, and whether or not they are still alive.

RE: the character who dies (no spoiler here):
I was under the impression that J.K. Rowling said two major characters WHO SHE DIDN'T ORIGINALLY EXPECT TO DIE die in this book. Is that correct, or did she say that two major characters died but she knew it was in the plotline all along? It doesn't really matter, but I'm curious...DH and I are having a theory battle so I need all the info I can get.

So far we really like it!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#5 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 04:16 AM

I reallyy like it so far! I'm not sure what chapter I am up to, but I won't discuss anything past chapter 1 or 2

I liked how the action jumped in right away with him leaving. I just finished reading HBP yesterday, and I still found I had to read slow and double check stuff.

So glad there is a thread for us slow readers

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#6 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, i'm so glad ppl responded! i'll bbl after church to write my thoughts so far...

nova22 - ditto on the : - that happened early! I thought it was so touching that Harry exploded the remains so that nothing further could happen with the Death Eaters, that had to have been so hard for him, but such a bittersweet thing to do.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#7 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
I was under the impression that J.K. Rowling said two major characters WHO SHE DIDN'T ORIGINALLY EXPECT TO DIE die in this book. Is that correct, or did she say that two major characters died but she knew it was in the plotline all along? It doesn't really matter, but I'm curious...DH and I are having a theory battle so I need all the info I can get.
You are correct. JK said that there were two characters that died that she was suprised about. She said that two major characters died that she didn't expect to die. Wow. Those sentences were confusing. : But, I can't think of a better way to write them.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#8 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you know what annoyed me most about Chapter 2? It's related to the end of the last book. When the book didn't end with the Hogwart's Express, I was expecting something important to happen at Hogwarts after the funeral, and before getting on the train, or him not going on the train- SOMETHING to explain why the events after the funeral and before getting on the train needed to be saved for the next book.

Then this book opens up a few weeks later. :headbanging: I felt unsatisfied with the ending of the last book for no good reason!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 PM

I'm enjoying the book as I can. I find that I'm not super driven to read it all quickly since it is the last one. I think I'm up to page 360-something and I've had it since midnight on Saturday. It is SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!!

It amazes me that those with kids can finish it so fast though! I just don't have time! Plus I'm 6mo pregnant so I'm really tired and my concentraion is shot!!!

The book really does start off with the bang!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Subbing ... I'm on 440 but I won't say anything. Dh is giving me the entire day to finish the darn thing so I can return to our regularly scheduled life around here. But, I like this thread because I don't dare open the big one until I'm done. It's quite a good read ... better than I thought it might be (I was afraid it might be a bit disappointing with all the hype). But, it's a definite page-turner! I'll be back to post more about Ch. 1-5 soon, but I want to keep reading!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#11 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Subbing ... I'm on 440 but I won't say anything. Dh is giving me the entire day to finish the darn thing so I can return to our regularly scheduled life around here. But, I like this thread because I don't dare open the big one until I'm done. It's quite a good read ... better than I thought it might be (I was afraid it might be a bit disappointing with all the hype). But, it's a definite page-turner! I'll be back to post more about Ch. 1-5 soon, but I want to keep reading!
I was afraid it wouldn't live up to all the hype too. My favorite show EVER Gilmore Girls was WONDERFUL up until the season 7 which was horrible! I was hoping this wouldn't be the same way! But it's just as good as the others if not better!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#12 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoyingreader View Post

thats my friends favorite show
Somehow I doubt that she shares Stayseeliz's opinion of the last season!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#13 of 21 Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm reading it slowly because I am reading it aloud to dd. That's what we've done with every book. I never read ahead because it is so much fun to experience the twists, suspense, mystery and suprises with dd firsthand (okay.. I broke down once with book 6 about 2/3rds of the way through and read ahead... but I'm determined not to with book 7). It's monumentally hard and I'm terrified that I will hear a spoiler somewhere. But, I really enjoy the way this forces me to savor it.

Anyway, we got through chapter 6 this weekend. I read chapters 1-5 outloud in one sitting on Saturday. : My throat still feels strained.

Oh! Hedwig! So sad!
#14 of 21 Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 AM

Are we going to keep using this thread, or start a new one for successive chapters? I can't remember what chapter number we just read, but it was called A Safe Place or something like that.

I love this book so far!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#15 of 21 Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Well, if we continue to use this thread, you won't have to wait for the mods to approve the new thread. I'm also not sure how many HP&tDH threads they're planning to approve.

But if you start a new thread, there's a place for people who are reading the book "behind" you to post about what they've read so far without fear of spoilers.

How about a combination- push this thread past chapter 5 but then start a new thread after a certain point?

One idea would be pushing this thread to chapter 8, then having another thread for 9-16, another for 17-24, and one for 25-32, or maybe at that point give up and join the big thread.

Alternatively, do one for 1-10, another for 11-20, and another for 21-30 before joining the big thread.

#16 of 21 Old 07-25-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm to chapter 6 but I forget some of the details in the previous book(s)

Can someone help me out?

Who is Mundugus (friend or foe)? Was harry and ginny seriously dating in the last book? And where is the piece of mirror from(is the mirror that shows you what you want to see or the two way communication mirror)?

Thanks for the assistant

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
#17 of 21 Old 07-25-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu_Mommy_2003 View Post
I'm to chapter 6 but I forget some of the details in the previous book(s)

Can someone help me out?

Who is Mundugus (friend or foe)? Was harry and ginny seriously dating in the last book? And where is the piece of mirror from(is the mirror that shows you what you want to see or the two way communication mirror)?

Thanks for the assistant
None of these are Book 7 spoilers so I'm going to do without the spoiler tags.

Mundugus Fletcher (Dung for short) is a member of the Order of the Phoenix. So he's a "friend" but he's a shady character. He's good to have in the Order because he hangs out with theives (since he is one) and hears things that others wouldn't have access to. He stole a whole bunch of stuff from 12 Grimmauld Place after Siruis' death.

Harry and Ginny dated for a while at the end of Book 6 but then Harry dumped her because he thought he was being noble.

The shard of mirror came from the miror Sirius gave to Harry at Christmastime in Book 5, so they could communicate, but Harry forgot about the mirror and didn't find it again until after Sirius' death. James and Sirius used to use matching magic mirrors to communicate during separate detentions.

#18 of 21 Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Thanks momma!

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
#19 of 21 Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing....

I'm on chapter 29, page 571....but I promise not to spoil anything!!

It has been such a good book...I am trying to read it slow to soak it all in. My best friend finished it in less than 24 hours...I keep calling her saying .."oh no...not blah blah blah...tell me this..blah blah blah..."

Enjoy reading!!
#20 of 21 Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 PM

subbing
#21 of 21 Old 08-04-2007, 03:17 PM

We are reading it together as a family, so we're just passed half way through. The suspense is really picking up--it's hard to limit the reading to one chapter at a time. On the other hand, it is the last book so it's better not to rip through it too fast.

How is it going for everyone? Liking the book?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page