Harry Potter Book 8? ***potentially spoilerific of the entire HP series*** - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
...we do not need to know any more about harry, other than that he truly became himself, a vibrant, autonomous being. this is the end of the story. this is the hero's arc.

this is the joy and beauty of harry. not what he became after, not whether or not he went back to hogwarts... it's the journey to overcome one's problems that is important here. harry's accomplished that, and his story inspires us to do that within ourselves.
While selfishly I would love to have an 8th book, and a 9th, and a 10th, I think the quotes I've copied above say it all. Zoebird, your post was a wonderful summation of the meaning of the book, and it made me all teary-eyed. Thank you!
#32 of 37 Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Oh, I hope she writes it. That would make me so
It's not just a matter of happiness for me... it's a matter of the story being unfinished, and I truly think it was unfinished. There was no closure. I guess the epilogue was supposed to suffice, but it fell flat for me.

Now that I've seen some interviews w/her I think she may indeed be planning another book. I divined this through the "I think the lady doth protest too much" line of reasoning.
#33 of 37 Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 AM

Hope it's ok to jump in here (I have been following all the threads, but finding it hard to do so!).

I also think there is some possibility for more books, esp. because I really left the series thinking nothing positive about Harry's father, esp. after book 7 and all the stuff with Snape. What exactly DID James do to mature and stop acting like a teenager (as Sirius mentioned in an earlier book after Harry saw Snape's memory of his dad holding him up, etc)? We see Lily as this wonderful perfect woman, but I don't think much positive stuff about James...I think I need to see that, you know?

I think the encyclopedia will be interesting, if that's what happens...I'm curious when it will come out...
#34 of 37 Old 08-17-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfuteach View Post
Hope it's ok to jump in here (I have been following all the threads, but finding it hard to do so!).

I also think there is some possibility for more books, esp. because I really left the series thinking nothing positive about Harry's father, esp. after book 7 and all the stuff with Snape. What exactly DID James do to mature and stop acting like a teenager (as Sirius mentioned in an earlier book after Harry saw Snape's memory of his dad holding him up, etc)? We see Lily as this wonderful perfect woman, but I don't think much positive stuff about James...I think I need to see that, you know?

I think the encyclopedia will be interesting, if that's what happens...I'm curious when it will come out...
I absolutely agree. I was shocked (shocked!) when I found out that James and Lily died at the age of 21. That was only 5 years after the pensieve scene (James would have actually been 16, not 15 at the time), and Harry was born only a little over 4 years after it. When did James have time to mature? What caused it?
#35 of 37 Old 08-17-2007, 12:18 PM

Well, I imagine spending four years fighting within the Order, getting married, and having a kid would have contributed to his growing up a bit.

Also, Lupin did mention that the mockery and pranks went both ways, Snape was hardly innocent. Considering the conflict not only between James and Snape, but between the Marauders and the future Death Eaters, it makes more sense.

Finally, face it, we were *all* fundamentally different people between the ages of 16 and 21. I wouldn't say I was fully mature at 21, but I was far better than I had been 5 years prior. We're all little twits in our own special ways at 16. Many of us are still twits at 21; some of us will be for life. But most of us outgrow the worst of it by the time we're 21.
#36 of 37 Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM

I would love to read more about the original OOTP. There are so many unanswered questions from the HP books. I really hope she does decide to do some prequel books.

I would also like to know what happened to Luna though, well really all of the characters. It really bothers me that we didn't get closure on all of the important characters.
#37 of 37 Old 08-19-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post
I absolutely agree. I was shocked (shocked!) when I found out that James and Lily died at the age of 21. That was only 5 years after the pensieve scene (James would have actually been 16, not 15 at the time), and Harry was born only a little over 4 years after it. When did James have time to mature? What caused it?
I imagine that Voldemort's reign of terror in part caused James to grow up and that he must have done something heroic that gained Lily's attention. Doesn't explain how he became less arrogant though (as Lupin and Sirius mention in book 5).

As for how young Lily and James were, I suppose that in a time of war, people may feel that they need to not wait to accomplish life's important milestones, like getting married and having a baby, because they might not get the chance to do them later. (not sure I explained this well) I REALLY want to read some prequels!

Monica
-- and learning to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page