Harry Potter Book 8? ***potentially spoilerific of the entire HP series*** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I count myself lucky that my whole family is full of HP fans. Naturally the HP series has been a hot topic for us for the last few days.

At lunch today we were reviewing the plot and across the board we agreed that we enjoyed the 7th book, but the end left us all hanging.

One of the biggest "hanging threads" was the fact that Harry, Ron, and Hermione never finished their education. We all felt that there was a possibility that there is room for an 8th book with the main characters completing their educations and tying up all those other loose ends.

So I put the question to you all... what is your take on this? Is there room for an 8th book, completing the story with "the 7th year at Hogwarts?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'll go first... I think there is. I think it would be a huge marketing coup for the publishers, and I'm sure that the possibility exists.

Thing thing that tipped my hand on this issue was an interview I saw with the "continuity editor" for Scholastic. She went on and on about how they guided the tone of the story, made sure everything made sense, etc.

I don't think the editors would have intentionally let her end the story in such a sloppy manner unless there was a chance for her to write another one.

I have mixed feelings about this, though. On the one hand, I think the potential is there for another book about the magical world, but it would be essentially fluff.

On the other hand, I would love to see some closure for all the characters. That would make me happy as a reader.

I am a stickler for a good ending, and that epilogue was just awful. I can't see that piece of tripe as the end to this great series.
#3 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM

See I am thinking prequel rather than present day stuff. I would like to hear more about the history. Of how things came to be. But, if she did right another current one, I would read it

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#4 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillet View Post
But, if she did right another current one, I would read it
I think that's what they are going for. It's a standard series tactic... leave the readers hanging so they'll be begging for more.
#5 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillet View Post
See I am thinking prequel rather than present day stuff. I would like to hear more about the history. Of how things came to be. But, if she did right another current one, I would read it
I was thinking of stories about the individual chararcters.. Snape, Lily and Petunia or even Sirius?

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#6 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM

I'd love to see her write a book about Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Huffelpuff, Salazar Slytherin, and Godric Gryffindor!
#7 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
I'd love to see her write a book about Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Huffelpuff, Salazar Slytherin, and Godric Gryffindor!
That would be fabulous. I would love to read about that... but again, there could be very, very long entries about these four in Hogwarts, A History , which she just HAS to write. Right?? RIGHT??
#8 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM

I think she glossed over Teddy Lupin's growing up years because if there is another set of books, they will be written about Teddy and his years at Hogwarts with Harry and crew only playing distant supportive roles.

Almost every question I had at the end of the book was about Teddy.

Stephany
#9 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well clearly, history books, prequels, etc. were always fair game, not dependent on the end of the series.

I'm specifically talking about writing book 7 with the possible intention of wrapping it all up in a different book, which would be the last one.
#10 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 PM

I would love another book containing answers, maybe in the form of short stories--who cares, just tie up the loose ends!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#11 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I love the idea of a prequel!
#12 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Refuge View Post
I think she glossed over Teddy Lupin's growing up years because if there is another set of books, they will be written about Teddy and his years at Hogwarts with Harry and crew only playing distant supportive roles.
I can see that - that would be cool.
#13 of 37 Old 07-23-2007, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post
I'm specifically talking about writing book 7 with the possible intention of wrapping it all up in a different book, which would be the last one.
I wouldn't like that. What would they fill a whole book with now that LV is gone?

A series of short short stories might work, or an "encylcopedia of characters" that doesn't even attempt to get into drama (and possibly do it badly) but just give narrative details from her notes that never made it into the books.

I'd even be happy if she updated her website with this info and didn't actually get it all published.

I think the best way to "complete" the series would be to write stories about the next generation, and fill in a few details about Aunts Hermione and Ginny and and Uncles Harry and Ron in the process.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#14 of 37 Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM

I would love to see a prequel...or a few prequels. I was hoping for more background info on James's side of the family in the 7th book...but got little. What happened to James's parents? Did he ever have brothers/sisters? How did he manage to get Lily to marry him?

Also, I'd love a book going back to the founding of Hogwarts.

I don't think I'd enjoy a book about the future. It would just seem "fluffy" and indulgent just to have a book about the new kids at Hogwarts with Harry and gang as parents.
#15 of 37 Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Refuge View Post

Almost every question I had at the end of the book was about Teddy.
An adult novel about Teddy's "snogging" would be interesting
#16 of 37 Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 PM

I think books on Teddy could be good. Harry and his family, plus R&H and their family, would be in them but not the main focus. Hmmm.
#17 of 37 Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 PM

JKR says she'll probably write an encyclopedia. Major spoiler warning!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#18 of 37 Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeky_Meerkat View Post
I would love to see a prequel...or a few prequels. I was hoping for more background info on James's side of the family in the 7th book...but got little. What happened to James's parents? Did he ever have brothers/sisters? How did he manage to get Lily to marry him?
JKR said in an interview somewhere that James was an only child, born late-in-life to "older parents." That explains why he was so rich (and had so much to pass down to Harry) and why he was so spoiled. His parents died of natural causes/old age. It appears that he didn't have any aunts or uncles or cousins that he was close to.

I don't think it takes rocket science to figure out how James and Lilly fell in love. It might take an endocrinologist though (ie, hormones. )

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#19 of 37 Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

i don't think that the ending was sloppy, though i do feel that the epilogue (19 yrs later. . .) was unnecessary.

an 8th book would dishonor the hero's journey narrative arc. it can be argued that the epilogue does this also, but i'll set that aside as a sentimental need that we have as humans to know "and then he lived happily, ever after."

an 8th book would be one without conflict, now those things that have terrorized harry and the wizarding world have been defeated. we do not need to know any more about harry, other than that he truly became himself, a vibrant, autonomous being. this is the end of the story. this is the hero's arc.

this is the joy and beauty of harry. not what he became after, not whether or not he went back to hogwarts.

it wasn't a slopping ending (though it could be argued that the epilogue was unnecessary). it was the sort of ending that these stories have. they always finish with "and the evil was destroyed. they put their lives back together and lived happily ever after."

that's the point, we're not 'meant' to know 'after' because 'after' is individual. these stories are meant to instruct us, not just to entertain. it's the journey to overcome one's problems that is important here. harry's accomplished that, and his story inspires us to do that within ourselves.

an 8th book does nothing but keep us from our journey, situate us in sentimentality, and provide fluff to avoid our own hero's journey.

and, from the publishing industry, it's a money-making ploy. I love harry, brilliantly, but i wouldn't read an 8th book. harry inspired me to find the horcruxes, to hold the hallows without greed, and to face death and live with clarity, hope, and self knowledge.

what more do i need? what would another trip to hogwarts truly give me that would be greater than this?
#20 of 37 Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

it wasn't a slopping ending (though it could be argued that the epilogue was unnecessary). it was the sort of ending that these stories have. they always finish with "and the evil was destroyed. they put their lives back together and lived happily ever after."
But that's the thing... we never saw them put their lives back together! We went straight from "Voldemort is dead" to "19 years later..." It didn't flow... it didn't give us any sort of closure.

I think the potential is there. However, I'm not sure Rowling is interested in writing another novel.
#21 of 37 Old 07-25-2007, 03:02 PM

My husband read somewhere that rowling said she might do another book for charity relating to the peripheral characters to use some of the background material she has. Forget where he read that, in a new magazine I think.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#22 of 37 Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
My husband read somewhere that rowling said she might do another book for charity relating to the peripheral characters to use some of the background material she has. Forget where he read that, in a new magazine I think.
She's been saying that for years, actually.
#23 of 37 Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 AM

On the Today show this morning she said that she would release an encyclopedia on the back grounds of all the characters and such.

She also said that she would not be writing any more books on the wizarding community. So any hopes of another book about the kids or a book about Harrys parents and such is out.
#24 of 37 Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyh View Post
On the Today show this morning she said that she would release an encyclopedia on the back grounds of all the characters and such.

She also said that she would not be writing any more books on the wizarding community. So any hopes of another book about the kids or a book about Harrys parents and such is out.
Thread killer!!!

Well I guess that settles that!
#25 of 37 Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 PM

I think an encyclopedia/'History of Horwarts--2007 ed." would satisfy me. Although I want to know what happened to Lily's parents. They may have been Muggles, but they were at least happy to have a wizard in the family (Lily). So, what happened to them that neccesitated Harry having to go with the stinky Dursley's when his parents died?

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#26 of 37 Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post
Thread killer!!!

Well I guess that settles that!

#27 of 37 Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadean View Post
I think an encyclopedia/'History of Horwarts--2007 ed." would satisfy me. Although I want to know what happened to Lily's parents. They may have been Muggles, but they were at least happy to have a wizard in the family (Lily). So, what happened to them that neccesitated Harry having to go with the stinky Dursley's when his parents died?
Maybe they just died of old age/natural causes?

#28 of 37 Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM

I did love the last book. I devoured it in 2 days. I really do not think that JKR will write an 8th book. The ending of the 7th was everything I was hoping for though I also could have gone without the "19 years later" bit. The reason I did appreciate the epilogue was that it showed me that Teddy Lupin was ok and happy. Oh but I hope hope hope that JKR writes a book on the history of the characters and Hogwarts. Then I will be completely satisfied!! :

Mama to my silly little princess Adeline(4/27/04):
#29 of 37 Old 07-31-2007, 01:29 AM

I'm vey curious to know what happened with the Dursley's!
#30 of 37 Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 PM

Oh, I hope she writes it. That would make me so

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page