Adult themes in Deathly Hallows - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's been a week since anybody posted anything HP related! I've been getting my fix over on the HP Lexicon. But there's one discussion the Lex Mods put the kibosh on and that was the adult nature of some of the scenes in Deathly Hallows.

I wonder about the nature of the attack on Dumbledore's sister. I wonder if she was raped? I searched a bit and found others here wondered that, as well. However, JKR specifically said the boys who attacked Kendra were 'young'. This makes me think they didn't rape her. None the less, it did occur to me, and the fact that it occurred to others, here and on the Lexicon forum, makes me wonder if JKR worded it that way on purpose.

And I wonder about how Fenrir Greyback responded to Hermione Granger, and how he went galloping towards incapacitated Lavender Brown. It made my skin crawl the way he talked about Hermione.

And to a lesser extent I wonder about how quickly Tonks got pregnant after she and Lupin got married. Though here, I may simply not have a clear idea how much time went by!

This kind of fits with my impression that there are volumes and volumes of stories only hinted at throughout Deathly Hallows. While Harry was grieving for Dumbledore at the Dursleys, Remus and Nymphadora took a 'life affirming' step to heal their grief and finally got together. Remus, being the virile wolf that he is, Tonks being the lively nymph that she is, they quickly got pregnant.

All of this is open to interpretation. Either it occurs to you to think of these things or it doesn't. It cannot be proven. If asked about it, I think JKR would deny that she was implying any such adult motif in Deathly Hallows. But how clever, if she really did write those scenes with those thoughts in mind. It's got a built in censorship mechanism. Either you're old enough to know about these issues and are therefore aware enough to pick up those themes if they're there, and are therefore mature enough to handle them, or you aren't mature enough and therefore you don't notice it.

What do you think?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 8 Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, i found the whole hermione/greyback dynamic really creepy too. i also wondered whether dumbledore's sister was raped, but tried to avoid reading it that way. i knew HP was headed in a more adult direction when she used the phrase "dirty little slut" (in book 5 or 6? can't remember).

i think it's quite clever the way jkr writes so that different levels can be understood depending on the reader's level of maturity. and there are definitely so many stories left untold with the surrounding characters!

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#3 of 8 Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM

It's been awhile since I finished DH, and a friend has it right now, so can someone remind me of the whole Greyback/Hermione thing? Because I don't remember.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#4 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 PM

:

I don't remember either
#5 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In chapter 23, Malfoy Manor, p.447. Harry, Ron and Hermione have been found by Greyback and other Snatchers.

"'Delicious girl... What a treat... I do enjoy the softness of the skin...'"

p.463, Narcissa orders Greyback to take them to the cellar. Bellatrix says, "'Wait... All except... except for the Mudblood.'

Greyback gave a grunt of pleasure."

"'Reckon she'll let me have a bit of the girl when she's finished with her?' Greyback crooned as he forced them along the corridor. 'I'd say I'll get a bite or two, wouldn't you, ginger?'"

Pretty darned creey, eh?

Quote:
i knew HP was headed in a more adult direction when she used the phrase "dirty little slut" (in book 5 or 6? can't remember).
I think that was HBP. Either Marvolo or Morphin Gaunt calls Merope that. It took me aback, since I was reading the book to dd, and I don't think I'd ever uttered the word, 'slut' in her presence.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#6 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I see Greyback as being analogous to a child molester- the way he "preferred children" the way he talked about Hermione, etc, but I don't think his attacks were actually sexual in nature.

I'm not sure about the attack on young Ms. Dumbledore. It was certainly traumatic enough to make her afraid to use her magic, but I see that more as a brutal racial attack than a sexual one. Certainly, "young boys" can be sexual perpatrators, but physical violence is much more likely IMO.

Interesting theory about Tonks getting pg first and married 2nd. It certainly fits in with Lupin feeling "trapped".

I personally like that she left some things vague. Like homosexuality. There had to have been SOME GBLT characters based on the normal population- the Wizarding World includes members of all races and socioeconomic classes, of course it must include all variations of sexuality as well! She never specified any gay characters, but she also didn't specify ALL the character's lives either. For example, Neville's been suspected as being gay by many fan fic writers. All we know about him in adulthood is that he works at Hogwarts- all Neville sexuality theories are alive and well and supported by canon! The same can be said for any characters other than the ones specified to be in hetero marriages by the end of book 7- and even then we don't know if those characters are straight or bi.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#7 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 AM

being a Harry Potter fanatic I had to respond.
I agree that there were adult themes worded just so one 'gets' them when they are ready. Yes, I feel there are volumes of stories waiting behind the characters-that's what makes them so very real and 3 dimensional...that we automatically consider their lives outside the pages, that we speculate.
Definitely adult themes, worded very wisely.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#8 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
In chapter 23, Malfoy Manor, p.447. Harry, Ron and Hermione have been found by Greyback and other Snatchers.

"'Delicious girl... What a treat... I do enjoy the softness of the skin...'"

p.463, Narcissa orders Greyback to take them to the cellar. Bellatrix says, "'Wait... All except... except for the Mudblood.'

Greyback gave a grunt of pleasure."

"'Reckon she'll let me have a bit of the girl when she's finished with her?' Greyback crooned as he forced them along the corridor. 'I'd say I'll get a bite or two, wouldn't you, ginger?'"

Pretty darned creey, eh?
I remember now. Thanks!
Yay, that is pretty creepy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page