LotR anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want to join me in (re)reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy? LotR is my favorite book of all time and I generally reread it once a year and it's that time of year again! And if you've only seen the movies I would highly recommend reading the books!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#2 of 18 Old 12-12-2007, 01:25 PM

I am in the middle of the second book right now. I have tried to read the series about three times and always have had to stop for some reason. I started re-reading the books again after DS was born when I was breastfeeding at night. DS is now feeding less frequently at night, so I don't always have time to read and it might take me awhile to get through the books, but I will keep trying! I LOVED the movies and so far I am really enjoying the books.

Mommy to DS 8/2007 and DS 1/2011
#3 of 18 Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in. I've read the LOTR many times but there's always something new to discover with each reading.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#4 of 18 Old 12-13-2007, 02:59 PM

I'll do it! I've been wanting to reread it for awhile now and haven't gotten too far. This will give me the push to actually do it.
#5 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!! Well, I'm not really sure how to organize this. It seems that we'll be in different places since some of you are in the middle. How should we organize discussions then? Unless we've all read it (I have and I see some of you guys have) then we wouldn't have to worry about spoilers.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#6 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM

I could start over again if needed. Or I could keep reading and we could discuss anything from any part of the books. I am not too worried about spoilers. I know the main story lines from the movie and so far the books have followed to movies fairly well...unless the last book is drastically different?? I have never organized something like this before...any ideas??

#7 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM

I just started it Saturday night so I'm barely into it at all. Maybe we should figure out where everybody is?
#8 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 PM

I'm in; but I don't start rereading the series until January 3, because I am a complete and total geek like that.
#9 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_enjoying_life View Post
I could start over again if needed. Or I could keep reading and we could discuss anything from any part of the books. I am not too worried about spoilers. I know the main story lines from the movie and so far the books have followed to movies fairly well...unless the last book is drastically different?? I have never organized something like this before...any ideas??
Peter Jackson did a pretty awesome job staying true to the books, IMO. There are a lot of things omitted in the movies (due to time constraints) and a few things added or changed that weren't in the books but the basic storyline is the same.
The book goes MUCH MUCH deeper into the history, geography, sociology, etc. of Middle-Earth, however.
I'm currently in the middle of "The Ring Goes South" in FotR (Fellowship of the Ring). I'm not worried about spoilers either because I've read the books several times.
I think we should pace our discussion for those who are just starting the books who've never read them before.
Where is everybody else in the books?

#10 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Right now I am in "The windows on the West" in the Two Towers...but DH, DS, and I are home for the holidays, so I probably won't be able to seriously read LOTR for a couple weeks. I am also trying to read "The no-cry sleep solution" for my and DH's sanity!! So I think I will be in The Two Towers at around this point until the beginning of January.

On a side note...have you all read the Hobbit?? I read it in like 5th grade and think it would be fun to read again after I finish LOTR.

#11 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 PM

Read LOTR several times (twice and a half aloud to DD). Would love to discuss. I'm married to a total Tolkien geek, so if anyone wants more detail on something I can look it up in his nearly-complete Tolkien library (there are a few out of print and several academic books he hasn't gotten his hands on).

My DD is named after Elrond's great-grandmother.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#12 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
Read LOTR several times (twice and a half aloud to DD). Would love to discuss. I'm married to a total Tolkien geek, so if anyone wants more detail on something I can look it up in his nearly-complete Tolkien library (there are a few out of print and several academic books he hasn't gotten his hands on).

My DD is named after Elrond's great-grandmother.
I soooo wish my DH was as big a Tolkien geek as I am. You're lucky!
I have a big Tolkien library, too, including Lost Tales, Unfinished Tales, The Hobbit, Silmarillion, etc.
Your DD is named Luthien?!!! I love it!! (Or is she named Elenwe? Either way, that's frickin' awesome!)
Hmm...I still need help figuring out how we should break down the discussion. Should we make seperate threads for each chapter so people who haven't gotten to that point yet won't be spoiled?

#13 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 04:56 AM

When I'm not here I'm a moderator on a large LOTR board. It's huge and I've made several good friends there. These are people I would otherwise have never met because they live all over the world. Does anyone else post on any LOTR message boards?

I have a large Tolkien library too. I have the latest book the Children of Hurin, The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Book of Lost Tales 2 ( I gave the BoLT 1 to someone), the Letters, the War of the Ring. I also have a map book of Middle-Earth and an Encyclopedia of Middle-Earth. Oh..did I forget to mention I collect LOTR calendars?

I think we should have separate threads for each chapter and if the chapters are short we can combine two of them.

#14 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 12:17 PM

What do you think of that Children of Hurin book?

I agree, either a thread for each chapter, or maybe a couple of chapters. That way everyone wouldn't have to start at the same time, but could come in whenever they wanted. If you go to reread a section that you suddenly found important further on, you could go back to that thread and re-explore.
#15 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 PM

The story of Hurin's children is probably the most tragic story set in Middle-Earth so naturally I had to read the Children of Hurin when it came out earlier this year. I was going to get the book through my bookswap club but when I saw how many others wanted the book as well I just went ahead and bought the book myself. It's a stand alone book and much easier to read than the Silmarillion. The CoH covers more of the Turin tale but you can find some of it in the Silmarillion as well but reading a seamless narrative of that sad tale without any notes was satisfying. And the artwork by Alan Lee was icing on the cake. He really managed to capture the mood. I'm glad I got the book.

#16 of 18 Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
When I'm not here I'm a moderator on a large LOTR board. It's huge and I've made several good friends there. These are people I would otherwise have never met because they live all over the world. Does anyone else post on any LOTR message boards?
I lurk on the LotR forum at arwen-undomiel.com but I've never posted.

I'll submit the thread for the first chapter.

#17 of 18 Old 12-27-2007, 02:53 PM

Ok! Sounds good. I'm ready to start.

#18 of 18 Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Me too!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page