"Simple Abundance" in 2008 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I really loved this morning's reading. It confirmed for me what I had always suspected - that the more I declutter my surroundings, the more at peace I am.
me too! and not only that but if i work on my surroundings based on making them the sanctuary i want them to be rather than the "do"s it makes it a lot easier.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#32 of 51 Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Yikes! I'm behind already and it's only the 16th. But I did want to comment on the Jan 4 write-up on how THis Isn't a Dress Rehearsal. I really enjoyed this.

"Like an actress just going through the motions in order to conserve her creative energy and focus for opening night, we hold back."

Oh how true. It goes beyond just living in the moment, it's living each moment fully.

And this:

"None of us can be expected to perform every minute of our lives. But a lot of us might tap into the power , excitement, and glory of Real Life more frequently if we cast ourselves as the leading ladies in our own lives."

What a way of looking at it.

Theresa
#33 of 51 Old 01-21-2008, 01:21 PM

Didn't you just love the parable about the farmer selling his farm and going beyond to find gold and riches and when he could not find that no matter where he searched and ended up killing himself ( well...i did not like that part) but the people who bought the farm ended up cultivating the soil and growing all kinds of food for their family and then they found they were on a diamond mine.
Wow...i loved that story...and it spoke to me...about looking for treasures within and right where you are!!
#34 of 51 Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

how is everyone doing? i love that a lot of the things she has suggested are things that i've been wanting to start incorporating in my life like meditation, creative visualization, True Self, treasure mapping, etc. i find that i have really started to cherish my mornings with her.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#35 of 51 Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 PM

she is a cheerful bright spot in my day-- that is for sure. i am a little behind since i've had three sick kiddos the past week, but i am hoping to catch up today. i am really going to make creative excursions a goal this year. goodness knows i could use them with three kids 4 and under!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#36 of 51 Old 02-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Can I join in? I'm late in the beginning of the year, so to speak, but I have the book and made it to March a few years ago. I'd like to finish it this year.

As I began reading today's entry, I flipped through the book, looking at some photos I put in there a few years ago, and I found...a $100 bill!!!! I absolutely can no believe I would have put that much money in a book and not remembered it, but I'm taking it as a sign that it would be great for me to read and work with this book!
#37 of 51 Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

woah! that is totally awesome!!

#38 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 AM

That's awesome!

I've put together a SA notebook with divisions for gratitude journal, daily dialogue, and notes and such from exercises.

I'm the worlds worst about writing down way too much though, and having paper scraps EVERYWHERE. So, I'm trying to show some restraint so I can actually use the info I write down.

magstphil: Me too on the negative thing. I'm REALLY working on that. Mine mostly stems from OCD so I fear and obsess. I've done the gratitude journal thing before and it didn't seem to make any difference for me, but I think the reason is that I would just write it down (obsessively of course -- like feeling guilty if I didn't put down my husband (and now my daughter) as first on every entry and such). What I'm trying this time is to try to do it more mindfully and really meditate on each entry for a minute or so. My mind is sooooooooooooo busy a lot of the time that my gratitude lists haven't had a chance to sink in. I'm working on that, too.
#39 of 51 Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 PM

How's everyone doing?

I'm falling further behind, but I'm not giving up. I started a gratitude journal a few weeks ago which I've been thinking about doing for some time, so that's certainly progress.

I'm curious what time of day you like to read the book. I do it right before bed, which is fine for those entries that are contemplative in nature, but not as effective when the entry recommends an action step. I'm thinking that I should switch to reading it during the day.

I'm also curious whether you jump ahead during the month to read the end of month ideas. I always feel like I'm cheating when I do that but they seem to be designed to be appreciated as the month goes on, not once it's over.

Enjoy,
Theresa
#40 of 51 Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM

I have been impressed with myself ...since i have been doing it very regularly. I do fall behind but i usually find if i do two a day...i can absorb her message. Any more than that ...it will lose the purpose. The best is one passage a day...so i can just absorb the simple beauty of her message. It is wonderful how she sees beauty in all the seasons...the cooking of soup and the slowing down in the winter months.Now that it is March...she points us to the renewal of life and awakening. It is just so helpful to be aware of the beauty and blessings around me.
#41 of 51 Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've been doing well. I usually miss on weekends but I read it on Monday. I always read in the morning. It sits in the master bathroom because my morning pee is the only time I get alone.

#42 of 51 Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

OMGosh!!! I just realized I haven't read anything this month!! I need to get all caught up!

#43 of 51 Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Checking in!

#44 of 51 Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Funny you brought this thread back...i had just picked it up ...and read 2 entries...i am behind...on April 5th...one whole month...i figure if i do 4 entries...2 in the morning and 2 in the evening...i will catch up in no time. I just finished reading about less is more in terms of simplicity and elegance and now am processing this. The idea has helped me
#45 of 51 Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 PM

nak-

My mother just gave me this book and it looks great! I am trying to decide if I should start now or wait till Jan............

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#46 of 51 Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 AM

I was doing good in January, slacked in February and started skipping a few days then catching up, only read a few pages in March then petered out completely. Anyone still hanging on?

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#47 of 51 Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 PM

I'm trying...i think i am somewhere in the beginning of June...not too bad , huh
#48 of 51 Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 PM

I'm jumping in. I also have it on my nightstand and start it every January...

but for the last few months I've just been reading a few days a week. I just read the day's entry whenever I pick it up. I figure that's more realistic for me than trying to catch up.
#49 of 51 Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 AM

I am still hanging in there but it seems like i will neer catch up.
Anyway...is anyone up to June? What do you think about the 'Stillwater " religion that the author spoke about in the mid June entry.
The religions basic commandment is not to worry or stress about anything and not to take on more to your life and just enjoy complete simplicity. Like make sure you have time on the porch to relax, enjoy the scenery and sip lemonade instead of getting tied up with too many commitments, schedules and obligations.
I love that religion!!:
#50 of 51 Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 PM

Fellow bookies....is anyone still reading the passages?
I have to recommend something...if you read nothing from the book again...go to yesterdays passage ( that would be July 6) and read it. It is wonderful!!
It has got to be the best passage i have read from the book so far...so if you don't want to read anymore...skip everything and read yesterdays! You won't be sorry.:
#51 of 51 Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have totally slacked off!

I need to get back on it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page