"Simple Abundance" in 2008 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

when i was a teen my therapist gave me the book "Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. this was 6 or 7 years ago and i have never cracked it open. i just happened to glance down and see it on my bookshelf, flipped through it a bit, and would really like to read it this next year. there is a quote and short essay for each day.

would anyone else care to join me?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#2 of 51 Old 12-26-2007, 01:54 AM

i would LOVE to! i have had this book for years. i start it every january (for the last 7yrs), but have yet to actually finish. each year it depends on how crazy my life is how far i get, but i don't think i've ever gotten past april with it.

perhaps this would inspire me enough to at least get a little further with it!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#3 of 51 Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 AM

I have the book right on my night table. I have had it for years. I randomly rummage through it from time to time and it gives me a sense of serenity. What a great idea ...to read passages on a daily basis in 2008. Let me join
#4 of 51 Old 12-26-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

i'm so glad to see people interested.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#5 of 51 Old 12-26-2007, 07:06 PM

My mom has a copy of this book - I might snag it from her and join in.

Thanks!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#6 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 11:02 AM

i was perusing the Joyful Simplicities for January at the back of the January chapter. is anyone going to fix Hoppin' John for New Year's Day dinner? It might be a fun way to "kick off" this little venture! My mom always made this dinner, so it has some sweet memories for me.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#7 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMummytoLore View Post
i was perusing the Joyful Simplicities for January at the back of the January chapter. is anyone going to fix Hoppin' John for New Year's Day dinner? It might be a fun way to "kick off" this little venture! My mom always made this dinner, so it has some sweet memories for me.
i had no idea what you were talking about for a second

why did she put them in the back of the month? you'd think she'd put them upfront. hmmmmm...

#8 of 51 Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 PM

my black-eyed peas and ham hocks are in the crock pot! Happy New Year felllow SA-ers!

#9 of 51 Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

i have been waiting all week, rather impatiently, to start my daily reading and totally forgot this morning just jumped up and read it and am feeling ready for the day. can't say year because i want to try a new approach- day by day...

#10 of 51 Old 01-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Here is my attempt at getting started with the book this year if anyone would like to check it out.

Aspirations of My Heart

(can you tell i am excited about doing this with others this year??)

#11 of 51 Old 01-01-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinkisser View Post
I have the book right on my night table. I have had it for years. I randomly rummage through it from time to time and it gives me a sense of serenity. What a great idea ...to read passages on a daily basis in 2008. Let me join
Me too! I am so glad I found this thread. I have the Journal of Gratitude as well and I filled in my first entry today.
#12 of 51 Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM

So how is the book going for everyone? I really find it inspiring, I just need to make sure I put it into practice.
#13 of 51 Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't see this thread until today, but I have been reading Simple Abundance (again!) since Tuesday.

(Maggie, we really seem to be turning up on all the same threads....great minds, I suppose. )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#14 of 51 Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

of course it's not too late to join! (great minds, indeed!

i really loved todays. i do this. i put everything fun and exciting off for "special" times and just sort of drudge on through life. i really like the thought of dressing up and setting a beautiful table

#15 of 51 Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Remember, Maggie, "[we] are that [we] might have joy."

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#16 of 51 Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

#17 of 51 Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 PM

I'll join you ladies, too! For the past 5 years I've had this book and never make it through. I randomly flip through it throughout the year and always find it inspiring. Maybe this is the year I'll really put it into practice!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#18 of 51 Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM

I have a small list:

warm woollen socks
sleeping in late when I don't have to go anywhere
soaking in a luxurious tub
the scent of roses

(I'm thinking of more...)

#19 of 51 Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 PM

I had never thought of happiness that way. I suppose it makes sense, in a "what-goes-around-comes-around" sort of way. If we want the world to be a better place, it makes sense that we can help that happen by putting more happiness into the circle of things.

(Is anyone else here? )

#20 of 51 Old 01-08-2008, 01:42 PM

I am

a few things that make me truly happy-

a warm bowl of nourishing homemade soup and thick slice of freshly baked crutsy bread

watching my children sleep

finishing a knitting project

writing in my journal

listening to my girls talk about how strong they are!

I really think it is so true that taking a minute to focus on how much you have in your life that does make you happy helps to remind me that i choose what to do and how to be every minute of the day. i can choose to be happy today and make something wonderful out of what i do have, not what i don't that i wish i did.

#21 of 51 Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 AM

Simple things that make me happy:

warm nutritious soup on a cold day ( not too cold here in NY now...but it's all good).
conversations with my 2 dd's and young adult son
curling up with tea and reading a book
listening to Mozart or Tchaikovsky
burning lavender or white ginger oil.
a long walk with our dog

Life is good...the passage about we will never get everything we want...we need to look at what we have was priceless. I have a habit of always trying to get something that i don't have but i have so much in my life now...so i am going to work on taking that and enjoying it.
#22 of 51 Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM

I too have begun this book a few times but have never finished it, despite really enjoying it. I'd like to give it another chance - January should be easy for me since I've read it 3 times before.

Has anyone gotten the companion workbook or the SA Journal of Gratitude? I was wondering if they were helpful. I saw them on Amazon.

Regards,
Theresa
#23 of 51 Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM

you can use any journal for the gratitude journal and i think it's more fun to go shopping for a pretty one of your one, but i do like the workbook. it's got lots of great readings and exercises.

#24 of 51 Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

sorry i mised out on the discussion. i have been reading and thinking of you all longing to comment but haven't had the chance because my laptop's charger was broken. but here i am!

what make me happy...

a good book
mint tea
chocolate covered honeycomb
a walk in nature
the Temple
cuddling up to my husband
my children's kisses
Masterpiece Theater

#25 of 51 Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

i really don't like the idea of *another* journal (i have one for me, my blogs, and i'm starting up one for each of my girls about them) so i'm thinking every night i'll just jot 5 things down in my regular journal. thoughts?

also, being such a negative person i am having a hard time with the attitude of gratitude. any pointers?

#26 of 51 Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM

One thing that worked for me was to play "the Glad Game" from Pollyanna. :

Also, reading "Hungry Planet", "Material World" and "Women in the Material World" (all by Peter Menzel) gave me a new perspective on just how blessed I am.

Remembering that my life has a purpose, that I chose to come to this earth, and that "all these things [are for my] good" really helped, as well.

#27 of 51 Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

what's the Glad Game?

#28 of 51 Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Whenever Pollyanna had a bitter pill to swallow (figuratively speaking) she would find something to be glad about regarding the situation. For instance, when her family was sent crutches in the missionary barrell (her father was a missionary), they chose to be glad that they did not need to use them.

It's corny, but it works.

#29 of 51 Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 AM

i often jot them in my planner, so a seperate journal isn't really necessary. and they can be anything. i know the first year i did this, i think i wrote down "that this day is over" several times. or sometimes it was little tiny things like "a bagel for breakfast" or something negative, rephrased- instead of saying i'm so critical that i can't find anything, i'd say i was grateful for "my attention to detail". over time it got easier and easier to find stuff to be grateful for on a daily basis.

#30 of 51 Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 PM

I really loved this morning's reading. It confirmed for me what I had always suspected - that the more I declutter my surroundings, the more at peace I am.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page