LotR Discussion: FotR, Book I, Chapter I: A Long-expected Party - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the discussion thread for the first chapter in the first book of Fellowship of the Ring.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#2 of 12 Old 01-01-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

A Long-expected Party summary:

In the Shire, Bilbo Baggins and his adopted heir, Frodo Baggins, plan a joint birthday party. It is Bilbo's 111th birthday and Frodo's 33rd birthday (coming of age). An old friend of Bilbo and Frodo, Gandal the wizard, arrives for the party.
During Bilbo's speech at the party he uses a magical ring to disappear. He heads home (Bag End) and gathers his things to leave on his last adventure. Gandalf approaches Bilbo at Bag End and asks if he plans to leave his ring. Bilbo becomes angry with Gandalf, calling the ring "his precious", suspecting that he is trying to steal his ring from him. Gandalf assures Bilbo he is not trying to rob him and suggests he leaves the ring for Frodo. Bilbo complies and leaves for good.
Frodo is told by Gandalf to watch over the magical ring but to never use it. The next day, Frodo gives away many of Bilbo's possessions according to the instructions he left behind. Bilbo gives graciously to many of them and soon Bag End is mobbed by hobbits looking for a handout. The Sackville-Bagginses come and harass Frodo. One of them tries to steal things from the house. Sam and Frodo must wrestle away intruders looking for Bilbo's gold. They lock the door but then there is a knock. It is Gandalf. The wizard warns them again not to touch the ring. He says it has one power they all know of, but it might have more.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#3 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM

I have never participated in an online book discussion before...so I am not quite sure how the discussion gets started. Maybe since this is only chapter one, people don't have a lot to discuss yet!

Mommy to DS 8/2007 and DS 1/2011
#4 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 PM

I don't think there's much to discuss about the first chapter.

I do have to say, I think the whole Sacksville-Baggins story is hilarious!
#5 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah...nothing too interesting happens in the first chapter. I just didn't want to post chapter two until I knew people were still interested. So, I'll submit that one tonight. (It takes awhile since all threads on this forum are moderated).
But one thing I do find interesting is that the "coming of age" for a hobbit is 33 years when they don't really live that much longer than humans. I think the oldest (Bilbo) lived to 131?

#6 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like this chapter for it gives so much information in subtle ways about hobbit life - their quaint customs of giving out presents to others on one's birthday, their simple rural way of life, their love of good food, drink, and friends, their love of family history, etc. The Shire sounds like an ideal place to live if one didn't mind being less than 4 feet tall and having large hairy feet.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#7 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I like this chapter for it gives so much information in subtle ways about hobbit life - their quaint customs of giving out presents to others on one's birthday, their simple rural way of life, their love of good food, drink, and friends, their love of family history, etc. The Shire sounds like an ideal place to live if one didn't mind being less than 4 feet tall and having large hairy feet.
Agreed. But I'd have to pass on the big, hairy feet.

#8 of 12 Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 AM

Ah but better to have big hairy hobbit feet than be a female dwarf.
I'm jumping ahead of the current chapter but in a later chapter of the LOTR, the dwarf females are described as being identical to dwarf males. It's impossible for an outsider to tell whether a dwarf is male or female. So the big hobbit feet don't seem so bad now, does it?

#9 of 12 Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
Ah but better to have big hairy hobbit feet than be a female dwarf.
I'm jumping ahead of the current chapter but in a later chapter of the LOTR, the dwarf females are described as being identical to dwarf males. It's impossible for an outsider to tell whether a dwarf is male or female. So the big hobbit feet don't seem so bad now, does it?
nak
thats true!
I just had my baby a few days ago and havent been reading much but I'm just about finished with fotr. if anyone wants to continue posting the discussion threads feel free to do so if you're ready for the next chapter before I get to posting it.

#10 of 12 Old 01-22-2008, 04:35 AM

Congratulations on your baby!! Tell me you chose a nice hobbity middle name for the child.

I was pushing for "Sam" if we had a son and perhaps "Elanor" for a girl but my DH wouldn't go for it.

#11 of 12 Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Maybe the Hobbits' late coming of age reflects their relative childlike innocence and naiveté. Or, Tolkein just isn't very good at maths.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#12 of 12 Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Or, Tolkein just isn't very good at maths.

And, bookgoddess, there's no way DH would've let me go all LotR with names. lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page