Eat Pray Love - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Ah, thought I'd find an Eat pray Love thread here.

Much to my surprise, I loved it. Mostly because it borught me back to my own spiritual practice and reminded me to trust in the universe. I cried when I finished it, then I was in need of another good book to keep me company. Found Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies which was a good following book...but now what? What have you guys enjoyed reading afterwards? I'm looking for non fiction...
I have Traveling Mercies, but have not read it yet, so I'm glad I read it's a good following book. I just now finished Eat, Pray, Love and I loved it. And I agree with Cjanelles.
#62 of 79 Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Well...last week , i read the book in one week when i was visiting my family in Canada. It was on my sister's night table so i just decided to read it while i was there. It is a definite easy read and it had some really laugh out loud moments for me. I couldn't relate to her since she does not have the obligations that i do and i don't have the resources to go off to 3 different countries and live in them for one year. But it was fun to live vicariously through her. I also got some insight and understood where she was coming from.
It is not the type of book that you read when you want a lot of depth and deep spiritual answers like with Yogonanda or Gary Zukov. But if you are going on vacation in the summer and need to have something to read when you are lieing on the beach...this book is going to be so much fun.
#63 of 79 Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 AM

I LOVED this book! I found it funny and inspiring. I love the style of her writing. Highly recommend!
#64 of 79 Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 AM

Just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. I was impressed that with so many things going wrong in her life (internally), that she had the courage to STOP and DO something, or in some cases, do nothing. I felt like she had changed by the end of the book.

I'm curious to know about her life now. The last page of the book says she has a book coming out in 09 about Felipe and something else I can't remember. Didn't Ketut tell her she'd have one daughter late in life too?

for the book from me.
#65 of 79 Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 AM

I'm looking forward to picking this book up as a treat to myself for doing taxes. Although, I've been meaning to buy it anyhow.
#66 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeach View Post
Just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. I was impressed that with so many things going wrong in her life (internally), that she had the courage to STOP and DO something, or in some cases, do nothing. I felt like she had changed by the end of the book.

for the book from me.
I echo what you said.
#67 of 79 Old 04-19-2008, 12:54 PM

Does anyone know if Wayan's house ever wwas built? And what abotu the guy she went on the road trip with? Was he ever reunited with his wife in the US? I tried googling, but couldn't find anything...
#68 of 79 Old 04-20-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Does anyone know if Wayan's house ever wwas built? And what abotu the guy she went on the road trip with? Was he ever reunited with his wife in the US? I tried googling, but couldn't find anything...
bump
#69 of 79 Old 04-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I don't know...but isn't Gilbert working on a new book? I couldn't find anything online about that either, not even on her website.
#70 of 79 Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 PM

Oh...i read the book a month ago now and in retrospect i now think of Indonesia as my favorite part because of the cute little cottage she lived in with all of the fresh flowers around her and the fresh fruit in her garden. I would have no problem living like that for the rest of my life!:
#71 of 79 Old 05-30-2008, 12:23 AM

I wanted to love this book; I was so excited to start it... I can not get into it, I am an avid and voracious reader, I rarely pick up a book and neglect to finish it, but this didn't strike my fancy at all. It just seemed somehow shallow to me and not at all well-written, I know that may seem odd to say about a book that is supposed to be a life-changer, but it seemed to be somehow lacking in depth. It was sort of like talking to a person on a plane or something, a peripheral conversation but not something to take to heart.

I tried to sell it at my garage sale and ended up donating it to the thrift store.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#72 of 79 Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
I wanted to love this book; I was so excited to start it... I can not get into it, I am an avid and voracious reader, I rarely pick up a book and neglect to finish it, but this didn't strike my fancy at all. It just seemed somehow shallow to me and not at all well-written, I know that may seem odd to say about a book that is supposed to be a life-changer, but it seemed to be somehow lacking in depth. It was sort of like talking to a person on a plane or something, a peripheral conversation but not something to take to heart.

I tried to sell it at my garage sale and ended up donating it to the thrift store.
Interesting you said that... Although I really enjoyed the book, and really I feel like I'm in no position to minimize her problems/worries or anyone else's for that matter, I couldn't help but thinking that I just didn't symphatize with the situation. Perhaps because I had never been through horrors of divorce, or perhaps I just saw a lot worse things happening to other people, then a divorce that she brought up on herself and turmoil relationship with some hot dude. I mean anyone can get depressed for any reason, but I just saw the death of a child of someone I know and another friend suffered from physical abuse from her husband and I just couldn't emphasize with the author's pain AT ALL. Therefore, it was hard for me to join her in her spiritual journey...
#73 of 79 Old 07-06-2008, 01:06 AM

so I loved her interview on NPR, but reading the book, JEEZ, how lovely to have ALL THAT paid for...

... I wanna have my explorations paid for...

As a writer wanna be, I am flummoxed... how can this book be all that? It is indulgent and follows a girl "woman" who never realizes that she cannot be without a MAN, even in the most beautiful places in the world. COME ON! If we all had an open expense account and TIME TIME TIME would we end up getting all wrapped up in a sexual thang? Or maybe we would... is life all about sex really?

Not rhetorically asked...IS IT???? would you end up with a yeasty beasty from too much good lovin... I wanna believe I could be better than that!

I loved "reading" the book, it was candy! But got all frustrated by the end!

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#74 of 79 Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namama View Post
If we all had an open expense account and TIME TIME TIME would we end up getting all wrapped up in a sexual thang?

Sure, why not? Actually, I can't think of anything better for my sex life than having all the time in the world and enough $$ that I wasn't stressing, you know?

I posted up thread--I really liked the book. I had a major heartbreak in my 20's, that's all it was, a really bad break up, but it was devastating at the time--I lost 20 lbs in two months, got an ulcer, and then I actually packed up and moved cities to start over. So even though I didn't do 3 continents, I had the same kind of cathartic experience. And in the end, I eventually fell in love again, too.
#75 of 79 Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namama View Post
It is indulgent and follows a girl "woman" who never realizes that she cannot be without a MAN, even in the most beautiful places in the world. COME ON!
I felt this too.
In the beginning I was super annoyed by the self-indulgence- not that she was going on this spiritual journey and all that- but the divorce part and immediately being with someone else etc. I just felt I couldn't relate and she was just making annoying choices. By the time she was in India I was totally loving it. And then it was a let down in the end when her "solution" ended with another man. Having said that, I think at some point, she would want/need to be with someone. I just don't think I was ready for it to happen so quickly.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#76 of 79 Old 08-06-2008, 06:05 PM

I really enjoyed this book. I read it a few months ago when I was going through a really hard time and I was able to take a few things away from it that meant something *to me*. For sure it is a book I'll be reading again.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#77 of 79 Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 PM

I'm reading this now--almost finished with Italy--I like it so far. I get her--I get the disfunction and her issues with emotional boundries--been there, done that--looking forward to the next section.
#78 of 79 Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 AM

I saw her breifly on Oprah once and made a mental note to read that book since I too was going through a divorce and thought it was a how-to book on coping with it: Eat (check), Pray (check), Love (check). I recently bought it and thought this lady had a wussie divorce compared to mine. And how very bourgois and indulgent of her to go lick her wounds in Italy and India and Bali (while getting paid handsomely for it too). But I should not be so judgemental (everybody's got different karma). When I was in the middle of the book, I went to see Elizabeth Gilbert speak at a festival. I thought she was highly intelligent and pretty funny too. I visited her store in Frenchtown (amazing store with gorgeous art from Indonesia.) She married that old Brazilian guy in the book--I saw him in the store. I bought a bunch of stuff and asked her to sign my book, which she graciously did. We chatted a little and she gave me a couple of friendship bracelets with Chinese coins that she slipped on them for my kids. She's a very friendly, very nice woman. And I was deeply absorbed by her book which left a lasting impression on me, and a longing to travel to Italy and to see that medicine man in Indonesia so he could help me out with this long drawn tormented divorce and its messy aftermath.
#79 of 79 Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
I saw her breifly on Oprah once and made a mental note to read that book since I too was going through a divorce and thought it was a how-to book on coping with it: Eat (check), Pray (check), Love (check). I recently bought it and thought this lady had a wussie divorce compared to mine. And how very bourgois and indulgent of her to go lick her wounds in Italy and India and Bali (while getting paid handsomely for it too). But I should not be so judgemental (everybody's got different karma). When I was in the middle of the book, I went to see Elizabeth Gilbert speak at a festival. I thought she was highly intelligent and pretty funny too. I visited her store in Frenchtown (amazing store with gorgeous art from Indonesia.) She married that old Brazilian guy in the book--I saw him in the store. I bought a bunch of stuff and asked her to sign my book, which she graciously did. We chatted a little and she gave me a couple of friendship bracelets with Chinese coins that she slipped on them for my kids. She's a very friendly, very nice woman. And I was deeply absorbed by her book which left a lasting impression on me, and a longing to travel to Italy and to see that medicine man in Indonesia so he could help me out with this long drawn tormented divorce and its messy aftermath.
Wow, that is a neat story. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page