LotR Discussion: FotR, Book I, Chapter II: The Shadow of the Past - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brief chapter summary:
Gandalf tells Frodo the true nature of the ring, and how it must be taken to Mordor and destroyed. Sam who has been listening at the window, is told to accompany Frodo.
I crack up everytime I read the part that Sam says, "Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact."

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#2 of 7 Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like that comment from Sam about dropping eaves. He's a loveable soul though not the brightest but he does the most he can with the common sense he has in him. He's one of my favorite characters in the book.

So many years pass between Bilbo leaving the Shire in a dramatic fashion and the start of this chapter. Eighty some years to be exact. One of my pet peeves with the film (uh-oh I am getting on my purist soap box now ) is how Peter Jackson didn't make that clear to the viewers. One would think Frodo got the Ring the same night that Bilbo disappeared and it simply wasn't so.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#3 of 7 Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM

Hang in there on the discussion, ladies; I'm reading, but haven't had much to discuss there.
#4 of 7 Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 AM

I think that comment from Sam about dropping eaves is very telling. It shows what a simple soul he is at the start of the book. He is representative of the average hobbit in the Shire. He has nowhere to go up and it will be interesting to see what he's capable of.

I love the hobbit surnames. Don't you? They roll of the tongue wonderfully - Bracegirdle, Boffin, Hornblower, Brandybuck, Took, Bolger, etc.

#5 of 7 Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 AM

But I don't think Sam meant that literally. Rather, I think it represents how hobbits in general avoid conflict. So yes, I guess I do agree that it shows him as simple, using him to represent the average hobbit; but simple in the meaning that they are folks of simple desires. Not liking anyone yelling or threatening or discussing dark topics with one of their friends; but wanting to hold themselves aloof and not get involved if at all possible.

Plus, they are also just goofy. Even in some of the darkest situations, hobbits still maintain a sense of humor. Even faced with an angry Wizard, Sam still plays with words.
#6 of 7 Old 01-10-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I
So many years pass between Bilbo leaving the Shire in a dramatic fashion and the start of this chapter. Eighty some years to be exact. One of my pet peeves with the film (uh-oh I am getting on my purist soap box now ) is how Peter Jackson didn't make that clear to the viewers. One would think Frodo got the Ring the same night that Bilbo disappeared and it simply wasn't so.
Only about 19 or 20 years pass between the first chapter and when Frodo leaves for Rivendell. Bilbo turns 111 in the first chapter and at the end of the book he's 131 years old, if I remember correctly. I'll have to go check.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#7 of 7 Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Yes, I think it was 18 years that pass because Frodo was 33 years old when he and Bilbo celebrated his 111th birthday and when Frodo leaves the Shire with the Ring he is about 50 years old. I think I confused the section that mentioned Gandalf thinking about 80 years earlier when he dropped in on the Shire with the timing of Frodo's departure. The 80 year reference must be a reference to what happened in The Hobbit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page