the time traveler's wife - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_jeannie View Post
I'm very flexible with the start day. The back of my copy has reading group discussions questions - we could use one of those to get the ball rolling.
i've got the same copy.

how 'bout we start with just general impressions and perhaps this to think about...is it better to know what the future holds? did henry make the right decision to not let clare in on most of her future before it happened? if i could, would i choose to be told what was in store for me?

i really liked this book when i started it (after i was able to wrap my brain around the logistics of it), but then about halfway through i started to lose interest. just didn't care about the characters that much. it's been hailed as this amazing love story, but i just didn't get it.

as for knowing what the future holds...i'd rather be left in the dark.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Oooh, I just got this book yesterday. I'd love to join

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post
how 'bout we start with just general impressions and perhaps this to think about...is it better to know what the future holds? did henry make the right decision to not let clare in on most of her future before it happened? if i could, would i choose to be told what was in store for me?
I haven't even opened the book yet, so I can't say anything about the book or the characters yet. I would not want to know what was in store for me. I think it would just color my perceptions of my present life and I wouldn't try as hard in the difficult times since I would *know* what would happen. Does that make sense?

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#33 of 57 Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
I hate the casting of Rachel McAdams because I think she is too bubbly for the role of Clare, but I am still looking forward to the movie.
I didn't know there was going to be a movie! I am not sure how I feel about that, but I am sure I will see it when it comes out!

I think I may agree with you on the casting of Rachel McAdams as Clare....I do really like Rachel McAdams, but it doesn't seem like a great fit for the character..but perhaps she will pull it off well!

I really REALLY LOVED this book. It has been several years since I read it and this thread has inspired me to possibly pick it up again. I need a good book to read. I would love to join in a discussion.
#34 of 57 Old 09-09-2008, 05:19 AM

I read this book four years ago and loved it. I might even re-read it before the movie comes out to refresh my memory.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#35 of 57 Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 PM

I LOVE that book. But it makes me cry practically every time I read it, so I try not to read it very much.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#36 of 57 Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM

i heard about this book and was thinking about purchasing a copy. I am going to now, it sounds intriguing.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#37 of 57 Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 AM

I read this early in the year. I found myself crawling out of bed after nursing my little guys to sleep, and sneaking out to the living room to read! This didn't floor me, but it was pretty good. Definitely give it a read before you see the movie
#38 of 57 Old 09-27-2008, 10:27 PM

is it better to know what the future holds? did henry make the right decision to not let clare in on most of her future before it happened? if i could, would i choose to be told what was in store for me?

I would like to know some things...so I could see if I could change them. Other things, I'd prefer to be left in the dark.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#39 of 57 Old 10-04-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansmama View Post
I really enjoyed this book...be warned..it's a tear jerker!
oh im glad i wasnt the only one!

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#40 of 57 Old 10-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Just finished this book a few weeks ago. Loved it! So sad!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#41 of 57 Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
is it better to know what the future holds? did henry make the right decision to not let clare in on most of her future before it happened? if i could, would i choose to be told what was in store for me?

I would like to know some things...so I could see if I could change them. Other things, I'd prefer to be left in the dark.
I didn't like the theme in the book that the future is set in stone, and it is unchangeable. Because if our future is going to be what it is going to be - then what does it matter what we do? I do think that Henry was right to not let Clare in on what was to come (most of the time he didn't anyway). I don't think he was right to stop her from trying to change the future.

It's been a couple of years since I read this book. I also read it for a book club. If I hadn't been reading it for a book club, I would never have finished it. It took me until halfway through to start enjoying the book. Once I got halfway through though, I did enjoy it. It wasn't one of my favorite books, but it did have a certain quality about it that just drew me in. I want to see the movie. It's been long enough since I've read it, that I will have forgotten enough of it to not be overly bothered by the changes they make with the movie!
#42 of 57 Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 AM

Also another fan of this book. It's definitely in my top 5 books.

I'll need to read it again before discussing it. I definitely can't wait to see the movie!
#43 of 57 Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM

I loved reading this book, although it isn't incredibly good lit. It had enough appeal to get me out of bed late at night while the kids were asleep. I hadn't done that at all since before they were born!! Discussion would be fun!
#44 of 57 Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Anyone is still up for discussion?

I searched the forum, because I still can't figure out the logistics of his time traveling / the nature of time in this book.

I started reading it, and am not very drawn to it, but today DD wouldn't let me get up while she nursed / napped, so I read some of the book (it was by the bed). I didn't read in order, though I read the ending, and the opening, and quite a lot from the middle

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#45 of 57 Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
Anyone is still up for discussion?
sure! the book's actually been on my mind lately (i saw the movie last week).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#46 of 57 Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 AM

I am new to any book clubs but my mother and sister have utilized them forever. I love to read and my 7 year old DD does to. How does a book club work? I would like to read The Time Travelers Wife and I read every night. Can you explain the basics to me? Thanks so much!

Wife to DH who worshipsbow.gif me (code for tolerates me) (2001), mom of one DDsleepytime.gif (April 2002) and one DDfly-by-nursing1.gif who arrived forcefully (Sept 2009) Caretaker of Boogie the cat and fish/reef hobbyist. Just tryin' to maintain...banghead.gifteapot2.GIF In major need of...grouphug.gif

#47 of 57 Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM

Okay, I just finished reading this book and one part has me totally confused. Why was Henry standing in the meadow with Clare's dad and brother?

I really liked this book and I'm mailing to my sisters so they can read it too.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#48 of 57 Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
Okay, I just finished reading this book and one part has me totally confused. Why was Henry standing in the meadow with Clare's dad and brother?

I really liked this book and I'm mailing to my sisters so they can read it too.
You mean when he got shot?
Did he just happen to appear when they were out there hunting in the early morning or something?

I don't have my book within reach, but I think that's what I remember....

Center
#49 of 57 Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
Did he just happen to appear when they were out there hunting in the early morning or something?

I am going to flip through and try and find that part, but I thought he was talking to her dad and brother and he hadn't been shot yet. Did his dad shoot him on purpose, I thought it was a hunting accident?

ETA:
So I looked it up and Clare run's down to find Henry, her brother, and her dad all standing in the field looking at something. Henry motions for her to not say anything and her dad tells her to go back home. They were dressed in hunting clothes, but Henry isn't shot yet. So I'm confused about what was happening.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#50 of 57 Old 09-26-2009, 11:26 PM

i was really disappointed with the film interpretation of this book, anyone else?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#51 of 57 Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
There were 2 Henries: the one who got shot (who is the one w/o feet, who traveled back to the party to die, leaving a blood stain in the meadow), and the one who was standing in the meadow, talking to Clare's father & brother. So Henry knew - sort of - when he was going to die.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#52 of 57 Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 AM

To post a spoiler, post the word spoiler in between brackets:

[ spoiler ] without the spaces, of course

and to end the spoiler, add the slash / :

[ /spoiler ] again, without the spaces that I used for my example.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#53 of 57 Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
OK just finish the book. I don't understand does the father and brother know Henry?
#54 of 57 Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 PM

he is there twice, they are all standing around looking at the shot Henry on the ground. The Henry standing there is regular, alive Henry. So he sees himself get shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post

I am going to flip through and try and find that part, but I thought he was talking to her dad and brother and he hadn't been shot yet. Did his dad shoot him on purpose, I thought it was a hunting accident?

ETA:
So I looked it up and Clare run's down to find Henry, her brother, and her dad all standing in the field looking at something. Henry motions for her to not say anything and her dad tells her to go back home. They were dressed in hunting clothes, but Henry isn't shot yet. So I'm confused about what was happening.

#55 of 57 Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 PM

I loved this book, and did'nt find it hard to follow or confusing at all, like some people seem to. I like to read it and contemplate the circular nature of the whole thing- my favorite conundrum is that he learned to lock pick as a child from himself and later comes back and teaches himself lockpicking. Lol! It's just a  cycle, the knowledge comes from nowhere really... I also always worry about Alba at the end! It says she can only sometimes control it and she is probably still naked when she arrives so I really worry for her! I know I am a silly sap to think of it but hey

#56 of 57 Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post

i was really disappointed with the film interpretation of this book, anyone else?

The film definitely loses a lot of the depth and nuances, but isn't that true of every  book-to-movie ever? I have never enjoyed a movie more than the book it came from

#57 of 57 Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 AM

I read this book a long time ago, haven't seen the movie.

i have to say, i found the whole thing a bit creepy.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
would i like to visit a younger version of DP and chat to his child-self/sexually initiate him (however insistent he was) um, no, YUK, the whole thing smacked of grooming to me.

The characters, perhaps because of that which seemed to me an inexplicable darkness of being about them, didn't ring true for me.  

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Plus the miscarriage scenes were too graphic for me, i guess i didn't like the sensationalised nature of them - i have held my dead foetus in my palm in a puddle of blood and nothing as dramatic or exotic as time travel put it there.

Perhaps i have experienced too many of the themes in this book to read it and not find it somewhat offensively flippant about them.

Tags
Books To Believe In , Book Clubs , Education Books

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page