NMY Reading Club - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the Not Mamas....Yet reading club tribe, a place where we can get together and discuss our latest literacy indulgences.

Anyone is welcome, so please make yourself a cup of something yummy, sit back and enjoy the pace.

Looking forward to some awesome chats.

I'm going to start off by just seeing this threads popularity, if we get a good group going...maybe we can choose one book to read and review per month or season.

Feel free to list your past reads, current reads and book recomendations. We'll see where it takes us.

We will call these the reading eyes, since I couldn't find anything book related.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Just finished reading:
Diaper Free - The gentle wisdom of natural infant hygiene by Ingrid Bauer.

I really loved this book. At times when reading it, I felt a little over whelmed about the idea, but its roots buried deep into me. There is no reason why I will not try EC (elimination communication), I feel as though it is just a simple answer to a complex baby world (as in gadget and 'must haves'). While reading this book I wanted more info on what the babies/mommies cues are, and how to identify them. But, I'm sure it will be easy enough to figure out once I have a child. Awesome book, recommend it greatly.

Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin.

I have read most of this book (just coming back on some of the birth tales, I took those in two parts, since they are many). I really really loved this book. I almost don't know what to say about it, since Ina May is such an idol to me. I would love to spend time on the farm. I'm not sure I want to be a midwife, but I would recommend this book to everyone thinking of having a baby. I thought the photos were stunningly beautiful and really got a great laugh out of the different words to describe labour "psychedelic, tantric" for example, which make perfect sense, they just made me giggle.

Currently Reading:
Taking Charge of your Fertility (which I just mistaken wrote 'taking chart') by Toni Weschler.

In cue:
-The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman, M.D., and Teresa Ptman.
-The birth book by William Sears, M.D. and Martha Sears, R.N.
-The Doula Book by Marshall H Klaus, M.D., John H. Kennell, M.D., and Phyllis H. Klaus, C.S.W., M.F.T

Checked out from library and have not and will not read:
Natural Pregnancy :by Zita West....reviews?

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#3 of 6 Old 07-19-2008, 05:56 AM

I just finished "Our Babies, Ourselves", which was fantastic. The overview of several different parenting practices gave DH and me looooots of discussion topics.

I really enjoyed "Diaper Free", as it gave me tons of ideas and really cemented my desire to do full fledged EC from the beginning.

I've also read "The No Cry Sleep Solution", (or at least the newborn-4mo section). It was pretty good, although I'm not sure I'm gonna do EVERYTHING it recommends, I liked that it's philosophy was "I don't want to CIO, but I also want to sleep!".

I have a copy of "Spiritual Midwifery", but haven't read it. Is the appeal just for the birth stories, or what? I also just found a copy of "Birthing from Within".

Question: Do you guys tend to focus your reading on pregnancy, infancy, or parenting mostly?

I used to read all pregnancy books, when I realized I was gonna get the baby, and then not know what to do!
#4 of 6 Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 AM

:

subbing. I'll be back to share things I've read/been reading after my vacation.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#5 of 6 Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Book Clubs.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 6 Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Hi, subbing!

No particular order here--I tend to go for a while with only skimming through books, and then I'll read one or two in a weekend.

So, in the past year I've read Pushed, as well as TCOYF. I've also partly read Obstetric Myths vs Research Realities, though I'm not sure which box that went into during the move. I finished Pushed several months ago, and I kind of tried to get my fiance to read it, and he started a bit, and then last night, I noticed that he'd gone and gotten it out of the other room and was voluntarily reading it. :

Let's see... both of us have been reading snippets off Diaper Free Baby in the bookstore, and I also read the Thinking Woman's Guide..., which I'll actually buy in the near future along with several other pregnancy and birth books, hopefully. I also point out to him which baby books I'm specifically not interested in (CIO, mostly). Oh, and we browse name books, of course!

I also read homeschool and education books sometimes. I suppose in some ways that's really jumping the gun, but I can justify the education ones since I still am working on my master's degree... The not-quite-related-to-my-degree readings include both Gatto and Hirsch (most recently Dumbing Us Down and The Knowledge Deficit, respectively, both of which I liked, which I realize might seem odd...) and I also have an old copy of The Well-Trained Mind...

That's the rather random sample I can think of right now...

Emily
Married 7/26/2008 -:- Remembering Joseph *10/9/2009* and two other losses since 9/08 -:- Expectingenergy.gif mid-September.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page