White Teeth by Zadie Smith - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone read this book or would like to read it with me?

I've been hearing about it for years and never checked it out. I finally picked up a copy at a yard sale the other day and have read the first few pages and its seem very interesting indeed.

Anyone read it or want to?
#2 of 7 Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM

I had tried to read it years ago and enjoyed it, but for some reason didn't get to finish it. I have it and would be willing to read it after I finish Stephen King's On Writing.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#3 of 7 Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 PM

i read this years ago and remember enjoying it. i also read her second book (autograph man?) which was also worth a read. i could be into re-reading white teeth. i've never participated in any sort of group reading endeavor. how do you see it going?
#4 of 7 Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I had tried to read it years ago and enjoyed it, but for some reason didn't get to finish it. I have it and would be willing to read it after I finish Stephen King's On Writing.
The beginning of the book was very engaging, but I also found it hard to finish. It's been a few years, but if I remember correctly, the momentum just kind of fell off and the end was a little strange. But still worth reading, for sure.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#5 of 7 Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 AM

I read this a couple of years ago. I remember it starting off great and then dwindling towards the end.
#6 of 7 Old 08-23-2008, 12:01 AM

I'm done with On Writing. Still want to read White Teeth? I probably won't without the book club thing.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 AM

I'm up for it....if you're still interested.

I haven't read it but I read a really good short story by Zadie Smith in the 2001 Beacon's Best edited by Junot Diaz.

I can't remember the title but it was about a hot dog vendor...

I do have a short story collection on my shelf that is edited by Zadie Smith. I think it's called the Book of Other People and it's all character driven short stories.

Seems like a really talented writer.

and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page