Anyone like Appalachian Literature? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
? Interested in a book club?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 PM

Give me some examples of Appalachian Literature?

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#3 of 12 Old 09-24-2008, 11:35 PM

Would this include Katherine Marshall? Sounds interesting!
#4 of 12 Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I guess it could be a broad category, but I'm talking mostly about fiction or memoir written about people of Appalachian heritage or that takes place in Appalachia. Some of the most known Appalachian writers are Silas House, Robert Morgan, Harriet Arnow, Janice Holt Giles, James Still, etc...

Right now I'm reading Gap Creek by Robert Morgan. Not sure what I'll be reading next, but if anyone has a suggestion I'll take it. I'm an Appalachian writer myself, so I'm keeping up with the "genre".

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 12 Old 10-07-2008, 05:29 PM

Raises hand.

Have you ever read Denise Giardina's books about the Mine Wars? I'm also a fan of Sharyn McCrumb.
#6 of 12 Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to read a McCrumb novel right now. The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. Maybe if I had someone to read it with me, I'd like it better. ???

#7 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 AM

I liked Adriana Trigiana's novels - Big Stone Gap, Big Cherry Holler, etc. Its women's fiction set in a mining town. Not sure if that's what your looking for.

What about the girl of the limberlost? I can't remember where that is set, but I liked it.

Also, modern would be Sister Mine by Tawni odell.

Also, parts of The Glass Castle by Jeanette walls is a memoir and during part of it shes living in an appalachian town (I think).
#8 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 PM

These all sound interesting to me. I've not been aware that this was a genre.
#9 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 PM

So, would you consider Cold Mountain Appalachian literature? I'm reading that right now. I've taken a break to fit in a horror book in honor of Halloween. I am enjoying it though. It had a VERY slow start, but it is picking up. I tried reading Gap Creek, but I just couldn't. I wouldn't have minded reading someone speaking such poor English. Having the entire book written that way was just too much for me though.
#10 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
So, would you consider Cold Mountain Appalachian literature? I'm reading that right now. I've taken a break to fit in a horror book in honor of Halloween. I am enjoying it though. It had a VERY slow start, but it is picking up. I tried reading Gap Creek, but I just couldn't. I wouldn't have minded reading someone speaking such poor English. Having the entire book written that way was just too much for me though.
Oh, wow! I thought Robert Morgan actually handled Appalachian dialect very well and accessible to others who don't use this dialect. Masterful really. As opposed to someone like James Still (also a master writer) who would choose to right out all the words as they would be pronounced. Robert Morgan was writing in first person... from the head of the main character (Julie). That is how she would have told the story. If you want to be eased into the dialect try a Silas House book like Clay's Quilt. (I'm not trying to be rude, but I wouldn't so much call it poor English as much as English that is different from my own. As the dialect of English spoken in Appalachia has ties to some of the earliest forms of English spoken. It is a dialect. I'm Appalachian so I have my qualms with calling it being called simply "poor" English. I am an English teacher and this is the way I speak. I do know correct written/spoken of "universally understood" English, but most of us do have a dialect and mine is very much part of who I am and how my story is told.)

Ex. Isn't that biscuit yours?
Ain't that biscuit there yours?
Hain't that there biscuit yorn?

#11 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *violet* View Post
These all sound interesting to me. I've not been aware that this was a genre.
I wouldn't call it a genre so much as an off-shoot of American Literature. Like you might refer to Southern Literature...

There are some wonderful works included in this literary canon.

#12 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

So, I'm reading Crystal Wilkinson's Blackberries, Blackberries. It's a collection of short stories. Anyone want to read with me?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page