BOOK CLUB FOR Twilight series - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 237 Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently reading New Moon, just having finished Twilight.

It was hard to get the copy I bought for dd back! I'm hooked.

I did have a hard time maintaining my attention reading Twilight because I saw the movie first. (not a criticism of the movie or the book) but just that it's personally hard for me to see the movie first and then fully enjoy the book because of the compare and contrast thing.

I'm sure I'll be able to read them all before New Moon comes out. LOL.
#182 of 237 Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 PM

how far back in this thread should I read before asking a question? LOL
#183 of 237 Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 PM

Depends on the question!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#184 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 AM

LOL Fair enough.

I read all the books and have seen the Twilight movie a few times. So this question doesn't just come from thin air.

Why does Edward love Bella? I know he thirsts for her blood. That somehow her blood is different and much more enticing. But that's just her blood...what about HER? I know he can't read her mind and therefore that might prove a challenge for him. But why does he love her? Meyer doesn't show us how or why. She only tells us he does.

For that matter, why does ANYONE like Bella? She doesn't have any input in her school friendships and is quite sullen and even disdainful. Yet they care for her and include her. Meyer doesn't give us any reason for anyone to like Bella at all.
#185 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
LOL Fair enough.

I read all the books and have seen the Twilight movie a few times. So this question doesn't just come from thin air.

Why does Edward love Bella? I know he thirsts for her blood. That somehow her blood is different and much more enticing. But that's just her blood...what about HER? I know he can't read her mind and therefore that might prove a challenge for him. But why does he love her? Meyer doesn't show us how or why. She only tells us he does.

For that matter, why does ANYONE like Bella? She doesn't have any input in her school friendships and is quite sullen and even disdainful. Yet they care for her and include her. Meyer doesn't give us any reason for anyone to like Bella at all.
Have you read Midnight Sun? It kind of goes into it on there.

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#186 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 AM

I agree that Midnight Sun sheds more light on this question. I guess maybe it was hard for Meyers to give us too much insight into the reasons behind Edward's feelings for Bella in the books written from her perspective because part of Bella's nature is to be rather dismissive of her own positive qualities. However, in Midnight Sun, Edward closely observes Bella and discovers one quality after another that make Bella special to him.
#187 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM

I just finished BD and was SOOOOO happy to see that someone had posted here recently! I agree that Midnight Sun explains the WHY of Edward loving Bella. Once I read it, I felt like I could see it everywhere, in all of the books, but since they are from Bella's point of view and she doesn't really get it, it's not there. I would fault Stephenie Meyer for this but I think that this is all too real. When something is obvious to us, we never give it voice, but of course, what is obvious to one, is not obvious to all!
#188 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 PM

But don't you think a book should stand alone?
#189 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there more to MS than just one chapter? All I found online was the one chapter.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#190 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 04:18 PM

There are 12 chapters I believe. You can read it on her web site:
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#191 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM

For some reason, I'm only getting chapter one.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#192 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
LOL Fair enough.

Ooh, I love this question because we talked about it in regards to love as a concept, unattached to any book discussion. And here is what I think about love...

I think if you love your partner for this or that reason - that's not love. Love knows no reason, and unites people not because someone is something, but on some other level we are connected and despite all our shortcomings are meant to love each other even when your partner doesn't do things your way.

At least that's what I think.

As far as the fact that Meyer doesn't give a reason for anyone to like her - I'd disagree with that. Maybe some dont' like Bella for this reason or another, but I like her because she takes care of her parents better than they take care of her, I like Bella because she reads books I enjoy, and because she is clumsy when playing sports. Those are just a few reasons why her character appeals to me.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#193 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM

If you click on Midnight SUn partial draft under August 08, you get all 12 chapters, at least I do when I click on it. If you click on the link at the very bottomo of the page, it is just chapter one.

#194 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Ah ha! That's it. You're brilliant.

#195 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 PM

:

#196 of 237 Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM

Edward does give a few reasons in the books about why he is attracted to/loves Bella. The scent of her blood drew him too her as much as it repulsed him for making him desire human blood but he does not think of it as a reason to love her. He mentions several times how difficult the scent makes it to be around her and in later books acknowledges he'll be glad when she's changed and doesn't carry that scent anymore. Edward finds her physically attractive and grows more attracted the deeper he falls in loves with her. More than once in the series he calls her beautiful.He calls her "warm and trusting and good" at the baseball field. He admires her bravery and is grateful for her trust and belief in him. In one of the books he tells her something like "you only have to risk your life every minute that your with me" when Bella wonders why he thinks she's brave. Bella is mature, a caregiver to her parents,is sensitive to others feelings and doesn't like to be fussed over. She likes reading, is familiar with the classics and enjoys the same music Edward does. Bella shows independence and wants to earn her way through college-at least before she wants to become a vampire. Like others have said the book is through her eyes so she can't realistically go gushing over her own positive qualities-in fact she's very down to earth and humble about her own positive traits. Sprinkled throughout the books though are comments from others or behaviors from Bella herself which show her admirable characteristics. I did think Breaking Dawn was a disapointment in many aspects and even before becoming a vampire bella didn't seem much like her character in the other books. She seemed to become tougher and "ruder" with each book. Edward never cursed-at least not in front of her and although possesive was very considerate with her while Bella started swearing and becoming more complaining and negative. I dunno, I love the books but have to admit I wish Bella had remained less moody.
#197 of 237 Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 AM

Edward explains not cussing by being raised in a different time. He does not feel comfortable using rude language in front of the ladies. Bella, however, has been raised in this time now, where we do whatever the heck we want. I do not think swearing or rudeness was out of place.

Considering the fact that, in every book, someone wanted to kill Bella, she held up pretty well! The longer you deal w/ that type of stress, the tougher you are going to become! Plus, she was dealing w/ wanting to sleep w/ Edward and not being able to. I could 100% relate to her impatience w/ this in Eclipse b/c it mirrored my own feelings while being engaged to my husband. I just wanted to get married already, to get to be w/ him all the time and get on w/ the adult activities I graduated from college shortly before our wedding and could not WAIT for school to be over. I did not care about the other ppl in my classes, parties, etc, etc. Eclipse was the most relatable book for me, in that aspect. I thought the way Bella treated the humans around her was realistic b/c she was just impatient to become a vampire & get to move on w/ life. Every time Bella pestered Edward to have sex, I smiled b/c that was so me!

Breaking Dawn was the only book that mattered to me. The other three are nothing but the prelude to that one. It was, far and away, my very most favourite of the series. The original was my least favourite. I actually don't even like it much. I was totally right there w/ Bella, everything before the wedding was nothing. Everything after was, well, everything. I loved that Meyers took her vampire novel in a different direction than every other vamp novel by giving us Renesmee and by leaving out vampire hunters (THANK YOU, Baby Jesus!). Loved loved loved it! I want a shirt that says "Breaking Dawn" not one that says "Twilight"!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#198 of 237 Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM

dogretro -- Thank you for putting together 6 words that I never expected to see together "vampire hunters (THANK YOU baby Jesus!)" That has made me happy ever since I read it and I had to come back to officially thank you. I too LOVE Breaking Dawn. It's just so HAPPY. A friend and I have been trying to understand our OBSESSION with the Twilight series and the best explanation that I can come up with is that they are pure emotion and we are emotion addicts (On the Meyers-Briggs test I'm an NF (Intuitive Feeling))
Twilight -- passion and longing and new love
New Moon -- bone crushing depression, true friendship and then the awarenss of true love
Eclipse -- love, jealousy confusion, fear, and sadness
BD -- happiness, overwhelming happiness and confidence. (For Edward and Jacob also fear of loss but not so much for Bella)
As an emotional junkie, I was much better at dealing with life through high school and college then dealing with the daily life of being a SAHM. These books take me to a place that is "my own personal brand of heroin". )
Why do you think that they are addictive to some?
#199 of 237 Old 04-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
dogretro -- Thank you for putting together 6 words that I never expected to see together "vampire hunters (THANK YOU baby Jesus!)" That has made me happy ever since I read it and I had to come back to officially thank you. I too LOVE Breaking Dawn. It's just so HAPPY. A friend and I have been trying to understand our OBSESSION with the Twilight series and the best explanation that I can come up with is that they are pure emotion and we are emotion addicts (On the Meyers-Briggs test I'm an NF (Intuitive Feeling))
Twilight -- passion and longing and new love
New Moon -- bone crushing depression, true friendship and then the awarenss of true love
Eclipse -- love, jealousy confusion, fear, and sadness
BD -- happiness, overwhelming happiness and confidence. (For Edward and Jacob also fear of loss but not so much for Bella)
As an emotional junkie, I was much better at dealing with life through high school and college then dealing with the daily life of being a SAHM. These books take me to a place that is "my own personal brand of heroin". )
Why do you think that they are addictive to some?
I am awaiting my copy of BD from Amazon but I have managed to read the
first three in the last three days and am now almost finished with the manuscript about Edward. I agree with your breakdown of the books and so far that is what has been so addicting to me. Although I must admit I skipped all the stuff about Jacob and her depression in Eclipse - I just coudn't bear to see her without Edward (must be a personal thing ) but I will get back to it.

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#200 of 237 Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Swoon! Where do I start!? I had put off reading these books, even after my two teenage daughters insisted I'd love them, but finally did it, and I haven't looked back! I started Twilight about 2 weeks ago, and just finished Eclipse last night. I'm hesitating on starting Breaking Dawn, because I just don't want it to be over! Of course, I'll probably then start the series all over again anyway, but there's nothing like that first time reading a book that you know will become a favorite.

I'm totally Team Edward. Every time the book describes his cold lips going in for a kiss, I get tingles! What's with me!!?? I think what draws young adult women, and heck, most other adult women, into this series is that Edward and Bella's relationship epitomizes everything sweet, passionate, and romantic about the early stages of any relationship. With us humans, that part dies down eventually, and the relationship becomes comfortable. But with E and B, it's all about the kissing and the foreplay and the great conversations. It's like they "imprinted" on each other.

And yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to become a vampire if I had someone like Edward to spend eternity with!

Of course, my daughters said this series was better than Harry Potter, but I have to draw the line there. Harry is amazing and epic, and there's just no comparison.
#201 of 237 Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post
Swoon! Where do I start!? I had put off reading these books, even after my two teenage daughters insisted I'd love them, but finally did it, and I haven't looked back! I started Twilight about 2 weeks ago, and just finished Eclipse last night. I'm hesitating on starting Breaking Dawn, because I just don't want it to be over! Of course, I'll probably then start the series all over again anyway, but there's nothing like that first time reading a book that you know will become a favorite.

I'm totally Team Edward. Every time the book describes his cold lips going in for a kiss, I get tingles! What's with me!!?? I think what draws young adult women, and heck, most other adult women, into this series is that Edward and Bella's relationship epitomizes everything sweet, passionate, and romantic about the early stages of any relationship. With us humans, that part dies down eventually, and the relationship becomes comfortable. But with E and B, it's all about the kissing and the foreplay and the great conversations. It's like they "imprinted" on each other.

And yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to become a vampire if I had someone like Edward to spend eternity with!

Of course, my daughters said this series was better than Harry Potter, but I have to draw the line there. Harry is amazing and epic, and there's just no comparison.
I underlined the part that perfectly describes why I love this book. You said it well.

I have to laugh at the Harry Potter thing. I hear so many people compare the two. And tons of teens feel like they can only be a true fan of one or the other and not both. They are just way too different to compare.
#202 of 237 Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Katrinawitch -- I was the same way before starting Breaking Dawn. I couldn't wait to read it and yet I was in no way ready for it to be over. The upside is that it isn't! I've read Eclipse 3x and Breaking Dawn 4x. Then I went out and bought Twilight and reread it. I've only read New Moon once, but that's only because I don't currently have access to a copy. I've read Midnight Sun 3x as well. I think that now mentally I'm ready to move on, but it's very hard for me. I have Twilight fever and am fighting it hard.
#203 of 237 Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM

Well, I *definitely* think that aspects of Dawn resemble Harry Potter, but I wont go into them right now since not everyone is done reading it yet I'll bring it up later.

Dont forget, all the romance stuff, E & B have only been together for about 2 years, and about 6 months of that were spent apart/broken up. DH & I were all over each other the first 2 years of our relationship

Uhh, I think Harry Potter is way better for a variety of reasons, but I did enjoy both series v much.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#204 of 237 Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 AM

I let DD2 (11yo) read the first two after looking on the internet and determining they were okay for her. But then it said the third one had the main character having sex with two different people. WHAT?!?!? So of course I had to read the first two to make sure they were really okay for her. And then I was hooked, and I bought the third one for me. When it only had Bella kissing two people, I approved that one too. Then I bought the 4th, and that was okay for her too. I made sure that she felt okay asking me questions and making sure she was comfortable reading it. I didn't think I'd like vampires, and she said she doesn't want any more vampire books; she's back to dragons and fairies and witchcraft. I wasn't impressed with the writing in the first one (or that she medicated herself to sleep right at the beginning). My only problem is that teenagers already feel that when they fall in love it is the be all/end all of their existence, and of course it's not. Yet this book makes you buy into that. What IF it is the be all/end all? You know?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#205 of 237 Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
Katrinawitch -- I was the same way before starting Breaking Dawn. I couldn't wait to read it and yet I was in no way ready for it to be over. The upside is that it isn't! I've read Eclipse 3x and Breaking Dawn 4x. Then I went out and bought Twilight and reread it. I've only read New Moon once, but that's only because I don't currently have access to a copy. I've read Midnight Sun 3x as well. I think that now mentally I'm ready to move on, but it's very hard for me. I have Twilight fever and am fighting it hard.
Yes, that's definitely it! My head is just so full of the Cullens, and I don't want it to end! I remember being this way when I finished "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", and didn't want to leave Harry's world! I'm almost done with Breaking Dawn, and it's my favorite in the series. The good news is, I can then turn around and read the whole series again. My poor husband!
#206 of 237 Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 AM

I LOVE these books. Love the movie, but LOVE the books.
I don't feel that the relationship is abusive-I think it's truly difficult for Edward to be so in love with Bella, but at the same time, struggle with the fact that he could very easily kill her. I also tend to disagree with falling in love not being the "be all/end all". For some people, it really is exactly like that. Even young people. Sometimes we love so deeply that is physically painful to even imagine being separted at all, you know? To love someone so deeply that nothing else matters. Like Edward says in New Moon:

Quote:
"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars--points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was a brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn't see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything."
That kind of love really does exist, it's just damn near impossible to find.
#207 of 237 Old 04-23-2009, 12:06 PM

I finished them all in record time and just finished Midnight Sun on her website and I have to say, I'm so disappointed in Stephenie Meyer.

I think it's very immature of her to post the draft to the book but not to actually finish it.

So what it got stolen and posted. It was a rewrite of Twilight from Edward's perspective. It's not like there were major plot twists that were given away.

She easily could have just taken it in stride, finished the book and published it. But her whole explanation as to why she's not going to just feels so childish.
#208 of 237 Old 04-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Yeah I lost any respect for her after that "taking my toys and leaving the sandbox"" stunt,

#209 of 237 Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM

I understand your disappointment ( but I think that I've heard that she is working on finishing it) but I feel the need to defend Ms. Meyer. Someone she trusted posted a work in progress for all the world to see. Yes we all know certain plot points and where the story is headed but still! I'm sure that when writing a book, chapter one isn't finished until the entire book is finished. And of course, this author has taken a few slings and arrows over her writing to begin with and now she has to have the world see a partial rough draft? I'm just thankful that she shared with us what she did. Writing is such an emotional enterprise that I'm glad that she didn't force it -- it wouldn't have been what any of us wanted. I'm sure that she has many partials in her head or on paper, but now that she's finished the Twilight Saga, I certainly don't think that she is under any obligation to finish or publish any of them. As a Twilight junkie, I do hope that she will finish Midnight Sun and I'll be sure to buy and read any further Twilight stuff. But I think that this is her story and she can do with it as she pleases.
(It will be strange if she does publish Midnight Sun, as I'm sure that it will have changes to the pages that I've read which will be strange since I've read it like 5 times!)
#210 of 237 Old 04-25-2009, 12:07 PM

: i just recently read the twilight series and found out about and finished reading midnight sun last night. since i read the series i wished we got to hear more about edward and the cullens and when i finally do she may not finish!! i hope she does.. i know she feels violated & like she cant change the draft now but she can its her story whether people have read the draft or not. i almost wrote her an email heck i hope she puts more time with the other cullens in if she does finish. i would also like to read about the summer they were together in between twilight and new moon.

do you think she would ever right more about life after bella becomes a vampire? it might have to leave the young adult section but thats ok what do you guys think?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page