BOOK CLUB FOR Twilight series - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 237 Old 04-25-2009, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, take this with a grain of salt but, I live in AZ where Stehpanie Meyer lives and I was recently talking to one of the other moms at one my kids practices and she said that she knows someone who knows Stephenie Meyer (brother's SIL's cousin or some such) and she says from what she's heard, Stehpenie isn't writing any more in the Twilight sagas.

Who knows???

KYCat, I agree with everything you said but, I still think it's hugely immature of her. Sure, some people would have read the draft but, has she not posted it, I never would have read it, I didn't even know about it. Nor did anyone I know. We all found out about it from her posting it on her own site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 237 Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the Twilight series and have to say that when I finished I felt so sad! Like I broke up with someone. I want MORE Edward and Bella! Anyway, I think I'm done jonesing for Twilight. DD1 made me watch it with her this weekend for the 10th time, then watching the bonus DVD, on top of that listening to the soundtrack, and DD1 and her BF showing me the latest on their Twilight scrapbook. Oh, and they are now reading the Twilight Directors Notebook, since they are limited to only reading the the first two books of the series.
I will happily go back to my Twilight Happy PLace when New Moon comes out and if/when SM publishes Midnight Sun or adds more outtakes and extras on her websight. Till then, like SM said, it is time for a break from vampires and Werewolves. IMHO, SM deserves a nice long break from the Twilight madness. The resentment many fans have towards her decision to put MS on ice, I feel, are inappropriate. She has given us and our DDs the wonderfull gift of escapism and romance that many of us have not enjoyed in a very long time. She has not ruled out entirely completing MS; the experience of her violation as an author was so traumatic that she cannot continue in her state of mind. I totally undestand and respect that.
#213 of 237 Old 04-26-2009, 05:36 PM

i totally got my sister hooked! she finished twilight in two days, and started new Moon last night, she is WAY into them, and she is NOT a reader, at all. she hasnt finished a book in like, ten years! lol. but she is devouring these books. and i completely understand.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#214 of 237 Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 AM

I'm glad to find this thread! I bought the Twilight book a month or so ago and finished all four books within a week and a half. I loved them. They actually got me out of a non-reading funk that I've been in since before dd was born (3+yrs ago). It was kind of sad to come to the end of them, but exciting that there will be movies, even if they are different from the books.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#215 of 237 Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 PM

I want a story about Jacob and Renesmee!
#216 of 237 Old 08-07-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipworth View Post
I want a story about Jacob and Renesmee!
Me too! I want to know about the whole "imprinting to make stronger wolves" thing. Will they have children? What will 1/2 werewolf 1/4 vampire 1/4 human children be like?
And will the Volturi come back? Will the Cullens and their allies be able to fight them off later on when they don't have the same element of surprise? I was sort of disappointed that they didn't defeat the Volturi i BD. I wanted them to fight.
#217 of 237 Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 PM

I have major Twilight fever too, so I know how you guys feel. My dh makes fun of me bigtime!

I watched the movie Twilight, then bought all the books and finished all 4 in about 6 days. (Yes, I did feed my kids but that's about all I did! )

A few comments on some of the opinions expressed:

While the writing isn't Shakespeare I found it pretty darn good. It was a fast and interesting read. The story is what I found amazing.

I didn't see any abusive undertones to Bella's and Edward's relationship. People are complicated beings, we all have desires, impulses, needs, and wants that sometime conflict w/the ones we love and we do our best (some more than others) to make it work when we love someone. As SM was writing fantasy I felt that these human characteristics were greatly magnified.

I was always "team Edward" bc I felt that he has more than a love for Bella, but also feels a responsiblility towards her. He also cares more about her happiness and well being than his own. Jacob is immature and while he loves Bella, it seems like he is more concerned w/having her than w/ her feelings. I do love Jacob though. Bella and Edward just have something unique, something that doesn't come along every day (I feel that way about me and my dh too .

I didn't think that Bella was using Jacob, she did/does really love him but not in the same way/with the same intensity that she loves Edward. I kind of understand her bc I had a friend in H.S. who was totally in love w/me and we were very close. I did love him, but not the way he loved me. Is it cruel that Bella waffles, that she leans on him, that she even considers a life w/him? Maybe, but she is also extremely honest, which takes courage IMO. Plus, Jacob would have known of her love and affection for him regardless of how close she let herself get to him.

In reading the books it was nice to be reminded of how intense my love for my dh is (not that I forgot, but while reading I was like, Yeah, I get that!). My dh kind of reminds me of Edward in some ways, and I while I don't believe that there is only one person you can love completely, I do believe that there are people that can be your equal in one way or another and that can set your heart/soul on fire. I don't think that can be found w/just anyone.

The only thing getting me through till NM comes out is my copy of Twilight (which I loaned to my mom and man I am jonesing) and the soundtrack, which I LOVE!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#218 of 237 Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 PM

So after leaving my job last week to be a SAHM, I grabbed Twilight from our used book store, along with a bunch of other books. Yesterday I started reading it while DD played outside. Well, um, about midnight last night I finished it, lol. I'm gonna go grab the other books later today. DH has a work function from about 8-10pm tonight, that I have opted out of. I am considering getting the kids down, grabbin a glass of wine, and renting the movie. ;-)
#219 of 237 Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstridS View Post
Me too! I want to know about the whole "imprinting to make stronger wolves" thing. Will they have children? What will 1/2 werewolf 1/4 vampire 1/4 human children be like?
And will the Volturi come back? Will the Cullens and their allies be able to fight them off later on when they don't have the same element of surprise? I was sort of disappointed that they didn't defeat the Volturi i BD. I wanted them to fight.
I wanted something to happen in BD. I found that novel the least entertaining. Funny I never thought of myself as liking action novels but after 5 chapters of feelings I was ready to :Puke Renesmee - What kinda name is that? I'm not into the imprinting with children thing either.

In NM and BD Meyer uses the word "PERFECT" way too much. He's perfect, she's perfect, his face, nose and even toe nails are perfect. Way too much perfection for me.

I loved Eclipse though. Lots of STORY there. Backstories on the main characters. Fighting scenes. Bella and Jacob... so much hotter than Bella and Edward. Wait April and Jacob... now we're talking.
#220 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 PM

I've read the whole Twilight series and MS. My faves were Twilight, MS and BD. The middle two books just seemed too fraught emotionally, there were so many changes. I was kind of annoyed with the chapter Selfish in Eclipse. Bella had already made her decision to marry Edward by then and then she has Edward call Jacob away from the fight for her just so she can psychobabble to him and then kiss him. Her motivations just lost me for a bit there. That's why I liked BD so much -- the lines were more clearly drawn and there is more breathing room, NM and Eclipse had so many changes and reversals with very little build-up going into them. The whole Edward and perfection repetition got on my nerves, but the passage in BD that describes her transformation sort of made me understand why it was repeated so much, because Stephenie Meyers's take on vampires is that they are such powerful, graceful, beautiful, intelligent, albeit dangerous, beings. I really liked Bella's first day as a vampire. I have vampire envy now

That said, I found the experience of reading the books completely enjoyable, the main characters have been in my head so much since I started reading the first book. I really enjoyed the movie and I can't wait to see NM in November.

I'm re-reading NM, but I don't know if I'll re-read the whole series just yet. I'm also researching what to read next. Stephanie Meyer and Twilight were my gateway into Urban fantasy and I want to discover some more authors.
#221 of 237 Old 09-12-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by east carolina View Post
Stephanie Meyer and Twilight were my gateway into Urban fantasy and I want to discover some more authors.
you might try the Sookie Stackhouse series - took me a bit to get into them and then I was gone because the characters really grown on you and Sookie is a telepath. I've been trying to decide whether to reread or to sell the entire series...I get hooked on each new series I start so I don't know if I'll get back to rereading just yet but they are worth rereading!
Anita Blake series is another one you can try - she's a necromancer and vampire executioner but the stories really turn on teh head later on

If you like erotica try the Black Dagger Brotherhood series - they are completely addictive! And she has a new series coming out the first of which is Fallen about a fallen Harley riding angel!
Finally, another series recommended by Stephanie Meyer which I loved was the Mortal Instruments Series - read them in just a few days. It's not vampire but urban fantasy set in New York and another dimension. need to reread this series soon

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#222 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM

Oh yeah, I've been jonesing to read some Sookie Stackhouse, I'll pick it up soon. I'm going to read Harris's other series with Harper Connelly first since they had that at the bookstore last time. Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll add them to my ever-growing list. I also downloaded some e-books (I don't live in the U.S. so it's not always easy for me to get all the book sin English I want) from this pretty cool site: http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/

Anyway, back to the Twilight discussion -- I'm still re-reading NM and I like a little better this time around, but I still think everything in it goes by so fast, the stories and characters are so good, I'd like alot more details and descriptions, better pacing. That's why I likes BD the best, I thought it was the best paced.

I think my favorite thing about Twilight is the romantic/sexual tension between Bella and Edward. It gave me goosebumps, I don't think I've been as turned on by a book in a long time.
#223 of 237 Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=east carolina;
Stephanie Meyer and Twilight were my gateway into Urban fantasy and I want to discover some more authors.[/QUOTE]

Same for me!
Before Twilight I'd never read anything "paranormal".
I went on to the Sookie Stackhouse series which I loved so much I started a thread asking for advice on what to read next. I have gotten many suggestions. I have also been reading up about Urban Fantasy and am looking forward to reading many new books. I also liked the first book of the Mercedes thomson series,which is more about shapeshifters but also has vampires.
#224 of 237 Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
If you like erotica try the Black Dagger Brotherhood series - they are completely addictive! And she has a new series coming out the first of which is Fallen about a fallen Harley riding angel!
Finally, another series recommended by Stephanie Meyer which I loved was the Mortal Instruments Series - read them in just a few days. It's not vampire but urban fantasy set in New York and another dimension. need to reread this series soon
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series sounds awesome! I hope I get my hands on some. I've got quite a list of stuff to read from all the thread here about urban fantasy/SF/what to read after Sookie Stackhouse.

Funny, I never thought I'd be reading fantasy fiction and YA books, I was such a classical reader (not that there's anything wrong with the standard Western canon) practically my whole life.

I blame it on Edward Cullen
#225 of 237 Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Subbing in to join my self-proclaimed addiction!
I giggle at how "silly" I first thought this new book series was that swept the nation and had teenaged (...ahem....mamma's alike ) girls in a vamp-ish uproar!
Just finished NM in less than 48 hours! Throw in a dh, dd and 2 ds's...housework...outside work...I do not know how exactly I did it!

Nice to meet ya'll

Kelsey

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!
#226 of 237 Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have been a huge sci fi/fantasy fan for a long time. Here are my suggestions:

The Jaran series by Tanya Huff

The Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey

The Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#227 of 237 Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
Subbing in to join my self-proclaimed addiction!
I giggle at how "silly" I first thought this new book series was that swept the nation and had teenaged (...ahem....mamma's alike ) girls in a vamp-ish uproar!
Just finished NM in less than 48 hours! Throw in a dh, dd and 2 ds's...housework...outside work...I do not know how exactly I did it!

Nice to meet ya'll

Kelsey
Ditto. I read all 4 books in about a week. I liked the books, and obviously found them very compelling, but I can't get over how poorly written they are for such popular and mass marketed books.

I love the films much more. My favorite is Twilight, then Eclipse, then New Moon. This is definitely not my usual genre, and I think I watched the Oprah interview - maybe - with Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, and Kristin Stewart, then rented Twilight and New Moon, and then had to go see Eclipse, which I saw twice. I can't remember the last film I went to see twice. By myself.

Call me suckered in...

I'm a mid-30s 'tween. Sigh.
#228 of 237 Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Anyone read "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" by Stephanie Meyer? It's a novella about Bree, the vampire who surrendered in book #3......

Didn't quite give me the "googlies" like the real books, but it was fun, especially when her story and the Cullens overlap. Now to get my fix I have to wait for the next movie or wait to see if Midnight Sun will ever get published in its entirety (not holding my breath).

Wife, mother of 2
#229 of 237 Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM

I did not read through the whole thread, forgive me. I have a specific question about the books that I didnt think I could find easily, so I figured I would ask outright.

Are the movies pretty much an animated version of the books? Do they sway away from the books at all? The only reason I ask is because I am currently reading The Sookie Stackhouse Novels, and am an avid true blood LOVER. The books are so different from the show, and I was just curious if the Twilight series was different as well. When I am done with my current series, I will begin the Twilight Saga. I have seen twilight countless times, and New Moon once. I plan to see Eclipse as soon as its on paperview.

TIA!
#230 of 237 Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 PM

They are different. Not hugely so, but there are some things they add or leave out. They aren't as far from the books as True Blood is from the books.

The books are much much better than the movies. I think with LOTR, those books were so incredibly long, they had to cut things, but basically the movies were a good, shortened adaptation of the books.

Honestly, you might be a little bored with Twilight after the Sookie Stackhouse series.
#231 of 237 Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Honestly, you might be a little bored with Twilight after the Sookie Stackhouse series.
You think so? Why? Because of the lack of sex? Or lack of other supes? What makes you say that, exactly?
#232 of 237 Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Just less stuff. Less action, fewer characters. And yes, less sex.

I loved the Twilight series, but once I read the Sookie series, that was just so much more interesting to me.
#233 of 237 Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Hmmmm... maybe I need to read the Sookie books! (rhymes with nookie? )

Is "Dead Until Dark" the first book? Or where do I start? IS this where "True Blood" comes from? Haven't seen or read either...

Wife, mother of 2
#234 of 237 Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymama1+1 View Post
Hmmmm... maybe I need to read the Sookie books! (rhymes with nookie? )

Is "Dead Until Dark" the first book? Or where do I start? IS this where "True Blood" comes from? Haven't seen or read either...
Yes, yes and yes. Here's a thread about the series.
#235 of 237 Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
I did not read through the whole thread, forgive me. I have a specific question about the books that I didnt think I could find easily, so I figured I would ask outright.

Are the movies pretty much an animated version of the books? Do they sway away from the books at all? The only reason I ask is because I am currently reading The Sookie Stackhouse Novels, and am an avid true blood LOVER. The books are so different from the show, and I was just curious if the Twilight series was different as well. When I am done with my current series, I will begin the Twilight Saga. I have seen twilight countless times, and New Moon once. I plan to see Eclipse as soon as its on paperview.

TIA!
There is some sway. The films take some liberties. But mostly, in my opinion, the films follow the books pretty closely and are true to form. I believe the author, Stephenie Meyer, was involved in the making of the three films. Not sure if she had final script approval or anything, but I know she made at least one cameo and she was on set.

For what it's worth, I liked the films better than the books. I thought Twilight and Eclipse - the films -were far superior to New Moon.

Just my take.
#236 of 237 Old 09-06-2010, 06:03 PM

Hi! I want to join in I went with my DH to see the Twilight movie for our anniversary. I didnt even know what it was or that it was such a big deal. I liked it and my DH bought me the series. I read all 4 books in 5 days! I have been hooked ever since. I am 100% team Edward. I also loved loved the last one! I know a lot of people didnt. I cant wait for it to come out.

Vegan Crunchy Tree Hugging Wife to my DH and Mommy to my sweet Daughter
#237 of 237 Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 AM

ok, so Im almost finished with New moon, and I gotta say...as a True Blood finatic and a Sookie stackhouse reader, its a refreshing change to have the movies almost MIRROR the books. Even some of the lines are INDENTICAL, as if the directors of the movie threw them in there as a hat-tip to the Die Hard book Readers. I see some sway, but trully the movies are ALMOST dead on. Its kind comical to me.

I havent seen eclipse yet, and I am actually going to hold off until AFTER ive finished the book. Itll be a nice change of pace to read something where I dont already know whats coming. hehe well, sort of.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page