BOOK CLUB FOR Twilight series - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 237 Old 09-16-2008, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want to talk aobut twilight series? I am enthralled in these books. so much fun and suspense.
#2 of 237 Old 09-17-2008, 01:14 AM

I started reading Twilight a week ago and was completely sucked in! (ha ha) I picked up the last two books on Friday and I finished them on Monday night. (My house went to pot as I spent the majority of time reading!)
#3 of 237 Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ME too!! Im on the second book. I heard mix reactions to the final book that just came out. BUt alot of fans liked it.

cant wait for the movie..........
#4 of 237 Old 09-20-2008, 03:11 AM

:
#5 of 237 Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM

I loved them...right up to the 4th book. I was pretty disturbed.

Also, did anyone else hear about the supposedly fifth book? Midnight Sun?

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#6 of 237 Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM

I read the first three books in less than a week. I LOVE this series. I haven't been so sucked in by a series.

I have to wait until payday to get Breaking Dawn. I think Bella sleeps way too much...lol
#7 of 237 Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 AM

I've read quite a few reviews about Breaking Dawn, it seems people either love it or hate it. I did enjoy it and could see why Ms. Meyer wrote it the way she did. I think people also need to keep in mind when judging these books is that it is a young adult series, even if it appeals to the adult crowd.

I also totally love the band Muse (I did before I read the books) and I can see the connection to the books. Listening to them is the only thing keeping me sane until either Midnight Sun is published or the movie is released (but I am wary of seeing it on the big screen - I worry it will be nothing like the beloved books)

Speaking of Midnight Sun, I also read the unedited draft posted on Stephenie Meyer's website. It was originally leaked on the internet and then she shelved the project for a while. Hopefully she will be drawn back in to finish it. It is basically Twilight from Edward's perspective. I think it gives good insight and background information that the reader would not otherwise know.

Well as you can see I've become a bit obsessed....I :this series!
#8 of 237 Old 09-22-2008, 06:12 PM

i have read the first two books and LOVED them. I am totally Team Edward all the way, although i love Jacob too. I had my friend tell me a summary of Breaking Dawn and I am really taking it easy to get to that book. I am worried that I will hate it.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#9 of 237 Old 09-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Hi!! I just bought Twilight last night. I started reading it this morning (didn't get very far into it though). I really hope it's as good as everyone is saying. I normally don't buy books (unless it's something I know I want to keep), but our library has 88 holds on the 48 copies that they have. Yikes!
#10 of 237 Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM

I'm up to "Scary Stories" in the first book. I'm really into the story...I knew I would be.

My dd-age15-has all of the books and LOVES them. She asked me to read them so we could talk about them together.

can't resist an invitation like that, can I? :
#11 of 237 Old 10-14-2008, 04:37 PM

I LOVE THIS SERIES! Can't speak enough about them all!

Can we mention spoilers here? Don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't read them all, but something in Breaking Dawn totally surprised me but shouldn't have!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#12 of 237 Old 10-14-2008, 11:21 PM

I just started reading the series this week. I am just over halfway through Twilight. Other Harry Potter fans at work were raving about the series, so I thought I'd try it. I am LOVING it. I wish I had more free time so I could read it faster.
#13 of 237 Old 10-18-2008, 10:11 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series, have read the first 3 books a gazillion times. That being said. . . I HATED Breaking Dawn. I pretend like it doesn't exist.

+ = and .
#14 of 237 Old 10-18-2008, 06:37 PM

I finished Twilight Thursday around midnight. Today I went to the store and bought New Moon. I am probably around 1/2 way through it. I kept stopping to sit on benches at the mall to read "just a little". I admit, I did have to flip toward the back of the book and just scan for a certain name....make sure they'd be making another appearance. Now, though, I am just wondering what is going on with Jacob?? It must be something significant, the clerk at FYE (I was buying cheesey cds) asked if I was an Edward fan or a Jacob fan.....so it must be SOMETHING major.
#15 of 237 Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm halfway through Breaking Dawn. Put me in the "icky" group. greengmax's comment about it being targeted toward the young adult crowd helps, however. I can see how the plot would be more enjoyable to them, than to the mother of a daughter.

Overall, I've decided this series is such a poor substitute for Buffy. But I really did enjoy the first two books.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#16 of 237 Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 AM

Love 'em. I read all 4 in about 8 days. I started to flip through Twilight again after finishing them all and started to read it AGAIN. So now I am on the 2nd books for the 2nd time. Ugh.
#17 of 237 Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM

If my next LO is a boy, I think I will name him Jasper. Love it!

+ = and .
#18 of 237 Old 10-22-2008, 04:39 PM

I read chapter 13 this morning before I got out of bed for the day. Delicious.

I have been reading all day...don't want to put it down.

Now my dd and I are fighting over Edward. She says she saw him first and I told her to share for crying out loud.

:
#19 of 237 Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 PM

Finished Breaking Dawn today. So I read the last three books in one week. I quite enjoyed these books. They rank up there for me. : And I agree that Jasper would make a good name for a boy. I love Alice. I want her for a sister. Bella reminds me of me in some ways. Now, if my friend and her husband would just finish Twilight already, we could discuss it.
#20 of 237 Old 11-06-2008, 06:37 PM

I'm in the middle of Breaking Dawn now. I didn't care so much for New Moon, I liked Eclipse, and now I am having a hard time getting through BD because of some real life drama that keeps me from reading as much as I'd like.

I'll add that my dd and I bought our midnight showing of Twilight tix yesterday.

We are so.stoked.
#21 of 237 Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM

I finished Twilight in three days last week and DP bought me New Moon on Saturday. I haven't been reading it at the same pace though Mainly because I've been working on getting some holiday gifts done before thanksgiving for family we only see then, but I'm determined to get going again!

I have to say, Bella's constant apologizing is getting to me. Every time something happens - like she just cut her arm at the bday party - she just whines. Man, make a decision already! I'm not up to the stuff with Jacob yet but I think I'm going to be team Edward no matter what. siiigggghhh.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#22 of 237 Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM

I've read the first two - from the library. I'd put a hold on the first one and the second happened to be in the day I picked it up. I read the two of them in two days! I've got holds on the next two, now. The fourth book is in but not the third. Yeah, I'll wait!!

Maybe we could have separate threads for each book? That way we could discuss what we've read without worrying about spoilers?

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#23 of 237 Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 PM

I would love to talk about the Twilight series and Romeo and Juliet (or some of the other works of literature she mentions throughout the books) I have lots of thoughts on this but I think first I need clarification on whether we can talk about spoilers here or not. Can we talk about all of Twilight? the series? A thread for each book might work.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#24 of 237 Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Hey, got Books 3 & 4 from the library yesterday!:
Finished Book 3 at 5 this am:.

Please no spoilers for Book 4 yet! Give me a coupla days! I'm already dying of curiosity to know why so many of you hate it so much! Pretending it doesn't exist? My goodness! I'm simply dying of curiosity!

I don't feel like I should start the book yet. I read most of yesterday and need to play with my toddler today. If it weren't for the impending birth (39 weeks, 80% effaced, 2 cm dilated, station 0), I'd just stay up all night every night till it was finished. But I might need to be rested. At any time. Maybe I'll read it in between contractions? My midwives would love that!! LOL!

It's been a long time since I read Romeo and Juliet. More for Wuthering Heights. And I was probably too young to catch anything substantial when I did read them. I want to compare characters, motives, etc. See what she keeps alluding to. Or maybe she told us everything she wants us to know?

So, to start a friendly debate/discussion:
1) Does the Twilight series have more or less chance of becoming classics than the Harry Potter series?

2) The books are written for young adults, but appeal to many adults as well. Are any men/boys reading these books? If so, what would they take away as messages of ideal manhood and whether they could ever hope to measure up?

3) For us adults in adult relationships, what does the series say to you about your relationship/partner. Do you see them in a different light now? Which character do they remind you of most?

Can't wait to read Book 4!

#25 of 237 Old 11-20-2008, 06:13 PM

I love the books. Took me about 4 days to finish all 4 of them. Now I'm waiting for the movie, which doesn't come out until january over here.

And I have to say, I love Breaking Dawn. Bellas character development ist just awesome, she finally matured, from damsel in distress to a strong powerful woman. The cover fits well, from simple pawn to mighty queen. Her gift totally rocks too. I also really liked the humor of some of the scenes (feathers anyone?, Jacob and Leah, Rosalie and Jacobs bickering...).

The only thing that I hate about the Twilight series is the whole imprinting on children thing. Creepy and disturbing IMO, it just doesn't feel right. What do you guys thing about that?

Quote:
So, to start a friendly debate/discussion:
1) Does the Twilight series have more or less chance of becoming classics than the Harry Potter series?
I think Twilight has YA/Teens as main audience, mostly females, whereas Harry Potter has as much broader fanbase, young, old, both genders. It also feels that JKRs writing is much more complex, connects so many diverse storylines, touches many more philosophical issues, maybe the right word for HP is epic. I don't feel Twilight has that, although I love love love the books.

Quote:
2) The books are written for young adults, but appeal to many adults as well. Are any men/boys reading these books? If so, what would they take away as messages of ideal manhood and whether they could ever hope to measure up?
I don't really know of course, being female, but I would hope that they would take away the idea of treating women gentlemanly, of pursuing arts (playing piano, classical music and such), being emphatic (Jasper) and caring or compassionate (Carlisle).
I often listen to some guys on a Twilight podcast called Imprint and also read the blog from the Twilight guy website. It's interesting to hear their perspectives 'cause the emphasize different aspects of the story. The Twilight guy actually bought a ring which looks like Bellas and proposed to his girlfriend who is a big fan of the series. So cute.

Quote:
3) For us adults in adult relationships, what does the series say to you about your relationship/partner. Do you see them in a different light now? Which character do they remind you of most?
No different light, I never thought of comparing my relationship to Bellas and Edwards. I really love the Esme/Carlisle and Alice/Jasper relationship though. In New Moon when Alice comes home to Forks, there is that scene where A/J simply hold hands and look into each others eyes. I really like that. No overly public displays of effection but pure love and understanding. I hope I have something close to that in my relationship as well.
#26 of 237 Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 AM

Trying to figure out how to do the covered spioler thing.

I haven't figured out how to do the black thing. Can y'all read this?

#27 of 237 Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 PM

hmm, i used to be able to do it, you just have to have a black text and then highlight it in black. Then people can't read it unless they highlight it in thread. Where oh where is the black highlight button though?

****New Moon "Spoiler"*****
Do the similarities to Aro of the Volturri and Armand from Interview with the Vampire bother anyone else?! read that Meyers said she didn't read any of Anne Rice's books before writing the series but I'm having my doubts. She said she was flattered by the comparisons but I don't think they were necessarily compliments, I think they were people pointing out the copying.

That said, I'm still reading New Moon (hope to finish tonight) and I plan to buy Eclipse this weekend so I'm still very much enjoying the series, but I really just found the last few chapters I was reading about Aro, Jane, Alec etc really, REALLY familiar and it annoyed me.

Anyone else?

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#28 of 237 Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 PM

Hi, please forgive me since Im probably going over whats already been discussed tons of times... And please put me out of my misery because Im driving myself crazy.

Im 1/2 done with the first book, twilight. I need to know if Bella is part vampire, if that had something to do with why her mom left town...

I am the type of person who reads the last page first, one a theory/question grips my mind I cant enjoy the book because Im speeding thru looking for an answer... Its a good book, I want to enjoy it... so please TELL MEEEEEEE
#29 of 237 Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 AM

Finished Book 4!! So, I don't get why y'all didn't like it. Can you explain? I think I have to agree with Cabo that Bella is finally coming into her own.

Cabo-- 1)I agree that Harry Potter is more likely to be a classic. Anyone else find it interesting that the actor playing Edward is the same guy who played Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter movies?
2) Interested to hear there are Twilight guy sites and podcasts. Hmmm.
3)Well, my DH is protective and gentle, so in that way he reminds me of Edward. But he's 6'6" and olive-skinned. For a while I'd talked him into long hair. So physically he reminds me of Jacob. Potential spoiler in white -- highlight to read: So whenever Bella was anywhere near getting physical with Jacob I was cheering her on!

About the imprinting on children thing. The idea is creepy, but I think Meyer went out of her way to show that it was a "love" imprint and not a "sex" imprint.

Leilamus-- I've never read an Anne Rice book, though I've meant to. I was logging on to ask if the Twilight books were anything like hers. So if I liked the Twilight books will I like the Anne Rice books?

AlmostAPpropriate-- Bella is not part vampire. I wondered the same thing through Twilight.

#30 of 237 Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilamus View Post
hmm, i used to be able to do it, you just have to have a black text and then highlight it in black. Then people can't read it unless they highlight it in thread. Where oh where is the black highlight button though?

****New Moon "Spoiler"*****
Do the similarities to Aro of the Volturri and Armand from Interview with the Vampire bother anyone else?! :

Anyone else?

No, didn't bother me. I didn't even think about it actually. But it has been YEARS since I have picked up Anne Rice.

I really enjoy different peoples take on vampires. Back in my high school days what Anne Rice said was law,lol. But now I like how different people set the rules for vampires. From Anne Rice to Blade to Underworld. Love 'em all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page