following the Fellowship, TWO TOWERS begins post 281 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, "age" is an interesting element.

Let's see... I'll let ya'll do the math but here are the birthdays...

THIRD AGE
241 Arwen is born (Galadriel is her maternal Grandmother BTW)

Legolas doesn't have a specific birth date given in the LotR, but he is older than Gimli (estimates are he is roughly 400 years older than Gimli... oh, and Legolas' father is the elf king who imprisoned Gloin during the Hobbit. Other silly trivia, Tolkien never specifically describes how Legolas looks. Legolas is one of the Sindar elves who are generally dark haired but his father is described as having golden hair. So different adaptations have given him very different looks! Oh, and his name "Legolas" translates to GreenLeaf.)

2879 Gimli born (son of Gloin who traveled with Bilbo in The Hobbit)

2890 Bilbo born September 22

2931 Aragorn born March 1st (Elrond is his many generations removed Uncle BTW)
---2933 Aragorn is taken to Rivendell for protection, Elrond accepts him as a foster son and names him Estel (hope) to hide his true identity
---2951 Aragorn and Arwen meet (Arwen had been living in Lorien)---

2968 Frodo born September 22

2978 Boromir born

2982 Merry is born

2983 Sam and Faramir born

2990 Pippin born (Merry's cousin)

2991 Eomer born

2995 Eowyn born

In terms of where these birthdays fall:

2942 Bilbo brings the Ring to the Shire (the Hobbit)
Sept 22, 3001 the Long Expected Party (chap 1 FotR)
3008 last time Gandalf visits Frodo in the Shire (chap 2 FotR)
Sept 23, 3018 Frodo leaves Bag End with the Ring (chap 3 FotR)

And DH and I were watching the commentaries to the first film the other day and Lee's comment about the wizards is a good one... it's important to remember that the wizards are not human. Gandalf is much older than the other characters, even older than the elves, and was taught by the "Goddess" of mercy and healing before humanity was born.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#32 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 PM

That is so interesting. It really puts things into perspective as far as when the events take place.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#33 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 02:01 PM

ACK! How did I miss this!! I'm subbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
If you enjoy backstory though, the appendices will be much good fun (lots of family trees and historical records... the intro to FotR describes some of the things in the appendix, like the Red Book of Westmarch) and you might enjoy the Silmarillion, the Lays of Beleriand, or the Books of Lost Tales.
I have The Silmarillion, but now I want to check out the others.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#34 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

They're all part of the History of Middle Earth series "authored" by Christopher Tolkien. I think there are eleven or twelve volumes.

And welcome! The more the merrier!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#35 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
why do i join these things late?

okay joining you all. tell me exactly what to read. spell it out dearies.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#36 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 02:11 PM

I've been holding on to this Barnes & Noble giftcard the ILs got me for my birthday. Now might be the right time to use it.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#37 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
okay joining you all. tell me exactly what to read. spell it out dearies.
You're not late! We're going slowly so that everyone can participate... basically one chapter a week. We started on Sept 22 (the joint birthday party) so we're only just now finishing chapter one. Tomorrow I'll post for chapter two, but since there isn't a heck of a lot going on in Chapter One the conversation has mostly been about the back story.

So if you want to "catch up" just read chapter one (~50 pages) and join in on chapter two.

#38 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Man! I keep initiating a trade for the Silmarillion on Swaptree (if you're not signed up and need a referrer, let me know -- you get free postage if you refer someone >.>) and it keeps expiring, and then the person with the copy I want initiates, I accept, and then she doesn't follow through and it expires... this is SO FRUSTRATING. Maybe I should just buy a used copy, eh?

I have to admit I still haven't re-read chapter 1, but I should get to it tonight!
#39 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
You're not late! We're going slowly so that everyone can participate... basically one chapter a week. We started on Sept 22 (the joint birthday party) so we're only just now finishing chapter one. Tomorrow I'll post for chapter two, but since there isn't a heck of a lot going on in Chapter One the conversation has mostly been about the back story.

So if you want to "catch up" just read chapter one (~50 pages) and join in on chapter two.
thanks wombat...

binkin i am reading it today and tonight too. btw LOVE your blog but i cant figure out how to subscribe to it.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#40 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Wow, thank's Maya! I am not sure what you mean by subscribe... if you mean RSS, I think I have a link on all of my blogs to add an RSS feed to your reader.

I need to stop knitting and get reading but it's such a knitting kind of day here....
#41 of 318 Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 PM

okay. figured it out... the blog thing i mean.
and i bought a new to me copy of lotr today. super excited to start.

#42 of 318 Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Week Two

Chapter Two The Shadow of the Past

So this chapter starts to set the wider stage. Chapter One shows us the Hobbits and just hints at the world outside. Chapter Two begins to shift the focus a bit, merging the happenings of the Shire (or at least Bilbo) with the happenings of "the world outside" the Shire.

As I was reading this chapter it occured to me that Smeagol and Bilbo both claimed the Ring as a Birthday Present... but for Frodo, it really was a birthday gift. Not sure that means anything, but it's an interesting tidbit. Well, interesting to me anyway!

#43 of 318 Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM

I found that interesting too wombatclay!

I thought it was neat how we started to learn more about different cultures and creatures surrounding the hobbits. Specifically, Mordor. I also loved the back story of the ring. It was facinating to see how all the events lined up just perfectly for Frodo to get the ring.

Poor Sam...has no clue what he is getting into!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#44 of 318 Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I have a big soft spot for Sam... I'm sure I'll get into that much more later on (especially in the last book) but for me Sam is the true hero of the saga. (though as a kid it was everyone but Sam in my mind... I thought he was kind of boring and much prefered Pippin ad Merry as playtime companions.)

Other members of the fellowship have been burdened with the quest, or gifted with the quest, or are looking for adventure, or an experience, or salvation for their people, or the fulfillment of a vision, or simply following some great and mighty unfolding of events. But Sam goes into this out of love and affection and friendship, and his motivation never really changes. Everything he does throughout the saga grows out of the fact that Sam knows who he is, and he knows what he feels, and he makes good on that. And (IMO) that is why Sam comes through the experience heart whole while many of the others don't. He never does anything he needs to be ashamed of.

I don't want to get into specifics since these events are way down the road (and not in the movies ) but warning's fair... I'm gonna be talking Sam a lot!

#45 of 318 Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 PM

i like Sam, too, and for those very reasons. while Frodo and Legolas and Aragorn are hot, i'd marry Sam in a heartbeat. he's loyal and true and everything this jaded single mama would want in a guy

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#46 of 318 Old 09-30-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
i like Sam, too, and for those very reasons. while Frodo and Legolas and Aragorn are hot, i'd marry Sam in a heartbeat. he's loyal and true and everything this jaded single mama would want in a guy

oh i hear you on that note. especially a poor mom. srsly. after all the sh!t ive been thru with men, not that they were all bad or anything even close to that but i would love one who was loyal and true, and knew themselves...which i think sam does after the first couple of chapters. i think he really learns who strong he is inside.

#47 of 318 Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 AM

Sam Gamgee... heh. Okay, here's a story for you: Despite my overwhelming geekiness and my complete obsession with all things fantasy and sci-fi, I did not actually read LotR until a few years ago (the first time was about 5.5 years ago, iirc). The first thing that came to mind, then, when I read these books was that Sam was to Frodo what Neville was to Harry Potter. At the time, the fifth HP book was due to be released within a few months and Neville had shown no signs of being anything but a bumbling little dip... but I felt that he had to be important somewhere down the line. Likewise Sam-- he was dippy, but I just knew that he was going to turn out to be important. Of course, this was before I came to the conclusion that my much older brother had probably read the entire series to me when I was too small to remember it, because the story was so ridiculously *familiar*.... but yeah. Those were my thoughts. Sam : Frodo :: Neville : Harry.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#48 of 318 Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Those were my thoughts. Sam : Frodo :: Neville : Harry.

i get that totally get that! jk worked hard on her books but she did get the initial inspiration from somehwere. alot of her sutff is based on classic texts.

to many errors. going to ebd now.

#49 of 318 Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 PM

i see your analogy, but i don't think Sam's anywhere near as bumbling as Neville.
Neville is extremely accident prone; he's very unsure of himself, and embarrassed *lots*.
Sam is, at first, kind of a minor player, shyer (sp?) than the others, fiercely loyal to a fault, not as "hot" as many of the other man-characters, and a bit chubby, so by comparison to those others he seems more bumbling than he really is. i think the thing is, he's just a "good guy" all around, and, well, you know how it goes...good guys usually get the bad rap. i'm thinking what i really need next is a geek. while i love bad boys as much as the next, i'm over them

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#50 of 318 Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
i see your analogy, but i don't think Sam's anywhere near as bumbling as Neville.
Neville is extremely accident prone; he's very unsure of himself, and embarrassed *lots*.
Sam is, at first, kind of a minor player, shyer (sp?) than the others, fiercely loyal to a fault, not as "hot" as many of the other man-characters, and a bit chubby, so by comparison to those others he seems more bumbling than he really is. i think the thing is, he's just a "good guy" all around, and, well, you know how it goes...good guys usually get the bad rap.
Neville starts out a bit younger than Sam, in just the same way that Harry starts out a bit younger than Frodo. Factor for age, and the analogy absolutely holds. Besides which, by the fifth book Neville's rather kickass, if I do say so myself. His lack of presence in the sixth was rather depressing.

Quote:
i'm thinking what i really need next is a geek. while i love bad boys as much as the next, i'm over them
I hear that. A tall, skinny geek with long, flowing blond hair and... :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#51 of 318 Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

It's really interesting to me to see the connections made based on when in a person's life they read/see a certain piece of media. Like reading LotR after HP so LotR characters spring off of HP (where for me it was the other way round since LotR came first for me). In my case I read the Riddle Master of Hed books before being exposed to certain classics so in my mind "Tristan" is a girl's name and "Morgan" is a boy and tough noogies for Isolde and leFay.

A co-worker at the library finall saw the Matrix (the first film) just last year and the next day she came in and the other geekly librarians all gathered round with a "Well? Well? What did you think?" and she shook her head and asked "Were they trying to be campy? If they were trying to make a cheesy campy film it was maybe ok, but I'm just not seeing it." And we all realized that the cinematography and vision that the Matrix film sort of pioneered had been so over done in the years since then that the original had become a complete cliche.

The place I stumble on a Neville/Sam comparison is in their motivation, or maybe their focus. Sam does everything out of friendship and loyalty to Frodo. Neville is less focused on Harry... he is more focused on the same goal as Harry, and fond of Harry, but he chooses Gryffindor/the cause over Harry when he must. While Sam chooses Frodo even when the ultimate cause might be better served by cutting Frodo loose (though again that is waaaaaay down the road). I do see the similarity though.

#52 of 318 Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 PM

No HP spoilers! I still haven't got around to reading those...

I need to read chapter 2. I also really like Sam.
#53 of 318 Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 AM

YAY I finally got the Fellowship and the Two Towers and can get started! I shall catch up to you all quickly

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#54 of 318 Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 AM

I see the similarity too. For me, Neville came first so that think that it would be easier to make comparsions rather than the other way around.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#55 of 318 Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... I can't really agree with the "Neville is like Sam" direction, but I can see the similarity if I look at it from a "Sam is like Neville" angle, if that makes sense?

But that's the fun part of book discussions IMO... everyone has a different experience and it's neat to discuss those interpretations and build greater depth into each reading.

#56 of 318 Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
No HP spoilers! I still haven't got around to reading those...

I need to read chapter 2. I also really like Sam.
oh sweetie. you so need to stop everything else. quit your job, and just read harry potter. srsly.

#57 of 318 Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
oh sweetie. you so need to stop everything else. quit your job, and just read harry potter. srsly.

Ok, I'm up to the tail end of chapter 2. Loved all the background info on hobbitses! (sorry I've watched the movies so many times I simply can't not say it ala smeagol hehehe) And already the first HUGE difference from the films, I never knew there was like a 14yr difference between Bilbo leaving the shire to the time Gandalf came back to Frodo to tell him exactly WHAT the ring was. I'm sure there will be a gazillion to follow and I will try very hard not to comment on all of them here lol.

Hubby thinks I'm crazy for reading this.. he loves the movies, but he tried to read the books once apparently and he says now 'how many words does it take to describe the bloody moss on the side of a stone!?!?'

And with that.. I have been handed the peanut butter by the 2yo.. think that's a hint?? (but it's mrs flannerys organic 100% peanuts peanut butter at least.. so hope that's brownie poitns lol.) Oh and lookie.. the loaf of bread is now in my lap LMAO

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#58 of 318 Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be honest... the first movie is pretty close to the books. Things were edited of course since it's a big book with LOTS of depth (or moss covered rocks, you pays your money you takes your choice). By the time you get into the second movie/book the differences become A LOT bigger, and the third movie really leans on the "inspired by the book" line IMO. Totally understandable, and you can see why some things were done (or listen to the commentary) but basically changing small things at the start eventually required changing big things later on.

Oh...and while there is a lot of mossy rock stuff at the beginning, that does taper off somewhat. The FotR began as a sort of sequal to the Hobbit... it was going to be a children's story. As it grew darker though the intended audience changed and the writing gets a bit more clean.

#59 of 318 Old 10-03-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I hear that. A tall, skinny geek with long, flowing blond hair and... :
nah...*dark* hair. and not so skinny. i used to go for way skinny guys, but now that i'm way fat, i think it'd probably just make me feel like i stand out more. i could go for some extra poundage, but not hugely much.

#60 of 318 Old 10-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
And with that.. I have been handed the peanut butter by the 2yo.. think that's a hint?? (but it's mrs flannerys organic 100% peanuts peanut butter at least.. so hope that's brownie poitns lol.) Oh and lookie.. the loaf of bread is now in my lap LMAO
think that's a hint?

my ds is 7, nearing 8, and yesterday? he's eating a small salad in his room, yells out "mom? can you bring me more dressing?" i yell back "no, but you can come get it yourself" and i don't see him and i don't see him. like an hour later, he's ready to go into the tub, and i said "you didn't eat your salad!". to which he says "i needed more dressing." well, duh...get. used. to. this: i am NOT your slave. go. get. it. yourself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page