following the Fellowship, TWO TOWERS begins post 281 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 318 Old 09-20-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As requested by several of the pagan mamas... we'd like to start reading the Fellowship of the Ring as a group. Right now I think the idea is to read one chapter a week and discuss, with the first chapter/week beginning on Sept 22 (Frodo and Bilbo's shared birthday). A list of all the chapters in Fellowship of the Ring can be found here but if you navigate further into that site there are chapter summaries so "spoiler alert" applies (if you don't know the book/movie).

There's plenty of information about JRR Tolkien on the web, but the wikipedia page is a good place to start. There is also the Lord of the Rings wiki page.

For more information on Tolkien and his works, there is the Tolkien Library and the Tolkien Society.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#2 of 318 Old 09-20-2008, 10:14 PM

:

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#3 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 02:16 AM

Oh, I'm all over this. It's about time for my yearly reread anyway. I mean, hello? It's tattooed on the back of my neck!
#4 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've read the LOTR several times but count me in.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#5 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 AM

i'm here! although technically i cheated and started early, because i'm in school and don't get to pleasure-read much. i was afraid i'd be way behind. i might have been able to handle a chapter a week, though, if i'd known!
i'm on page....oh, i dunno, like 84 or something, so i'm not too far ahead. i'll keep up with y'all someway.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#6 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
Oh, I'm all over this. It's about time for my yearly reread anyway. I mean, hello? It's tattooed on the back of my neck!
that's gorgeous! now...what does it say?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#7 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Beautiful tattoo! I'm drooling. It says "Seraphim"? S i/e R a P H N/M ? I have a smaller piece (in elvish) on my wrist. My wristlette translates (phoenetically at least) to "crows".

BookGoddess- I'd hoped you'd join us... I saw you posts in last year's LoTR book group. I'm also a big Tolkien junkie. The first time I heard the stories I cried for a week that it was over and as soon as they let me into the "real" library collection I started devouring anything and everything Tolkien related. I haven't posted on any LotR sites in years though... not since the movies were first being discussed ages ago.

Mercyn- I knew so many mamas were uber busy and I thought going a chapter at a time would give quick readers more discussion time and slower readers a chance to stay with the group. Some of the chapters are pretty short though so if we all agree maybe some weeks would be two chapters? But that would totally depend on how people felt... I really want everyone to feel welcome.

And I know that these days I can read the entire series in a weekend just because I've read them so many times before (1 or more times a year from the first time my dad read then to my bro and I when I was 4-5yo). I'm looking forward to going more slowly and really examining the story as it unfolds... especially since there are parts I often skip (not so much in Fellowship, but later) and I need the peer support to dig into those feelings/responses.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 AM

I will join in! This is the first time that I will read these books! I have seen the movies but have always wanted to read them. Thanks for starting this!

binkin- What a beautiful tattoo! I love it.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#9 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 12:11 PM

huzzah! i had hoped to have finished the silmarillion, but it's not gonna happen..... it really has helped though! and i'm trying to decide how far behind it will make me if i finish it and start fellowship.... mmmm.

thanks for doing this, clay!
:
#10 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 12:16 PM

I'm a pretty fast reader; I'm confident that despite the four children and the cyberschooling and the rest of the miserable crap going on, I could finish the entire series in a week or two. I like the chapter a week idea, though-- it will give me time to read them with BeanBean. I'm not sure how interested he'll be (he seems to prefer books with lots of girls in them ) but it's worth a shot.

#11 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
it will give me time to read them with BeanBean. I'm not sure how interested he'll be (he seems to prefer books with lots of girls in them ) but it's worth a shot.
LOL lots of girls-- how old is he? mine's in a kind of an anti-girl stage, but then he just did the thing where you twist the apple stem once for each alphabet letter and came up with "Niah? hmm, oh, she's cute!" (a girl in his class). he's going to be 8 at the end of january.

i would love to read these with him, but we're deep into harry potter at the moment! i'm glad to read those over again, too! did any of you read those with your kids? at 7? did you read the whole series? i can't remember enough to know if 5, 6, and 7 will be too much for ds. we're in 4 right now.

he's seen the LOTR movies though! had trouble with some of the violent parts, but mostly hung through. the books shouldn't be too bad, but he'll have to wait till we finish HP. unless-- if y'all think the later HP books are too much, and LOTR is not, maybe i'll distract him with LOTR after HP4.

#12 of 318 Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM

We've listened to all of the Harry Potter books on audiodisc. Bean was somewhat disturbed by the end of book four, as I recall, and there were parts of five that really bothered him but both six and seven were all right. Weird, I know. I can't remember how old he was, though. He's going to be six in November.

His thing for girls is... um, consistant. A few weeks ago I got Pride and Prejudice from Netflix. I put it into the DVD player thinking he'd pass right out, bored stiff in five minutes... but he watched the entire movie with rapt attention. "Did you like that?" "Oh yeah!" he said. "What did you like about it?" "Did you see all those girls?! They were beautiful!" : He looooooves girls, especially girls with dark hair. He's quite the ladies man, too. It's an absolute riot, and borderline disturbing to watch truth be told.

As to violence, BeanBean does not mind fantasy violence, but he finds more realistic violence/emotional disturbance to be quite upsetting. For example: If you've seen the version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe which came out a few years back, you'll know that it opens with an air raid on London during WWII. This scene really upset Bean-- "They're dropping bombs on the city! Bombs can kill people, that's AWFUL!" There's a lot more violence in that book-- in fact it ends with another war-- but none of that bothered him in the slightest because it was so fantastic. Wars with lasers and space ships or centaurs and dragons don't phase him, but wars with fighter jets and bombs and guns really upset him. Swords can go over either way (he initially objected to my purchase of The Princess Bride because Westley was holding a sword on the cover).

Interestingly, Miss BooBah is just the other way around. Fantasy violence is MUCH more frightening to her than guns and bombs and "realistic" violence. She found the Sith in Star Wars absolutely *terrifying*. Bean was like, "But that's not real, it's a fictional character, it doesn't exist..." didn't matter, she threw a fit until Bean agreed just to watch the pod races over and over again.

#13 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 AM

wombat's got it, seraphim it is -- mostly because I think they're pretty badass and the tatt's kind of for protection. Glad so many like it.

Happy Bilbo/Frodo birthday and Autumnal Equinox! I can't wait to get started, but of course I've got work to catch up on since I took yesterday off. Blah.

I've got a copy of the Silmarillion en route, so I can finally have one to keep. I find it really fascinating, personally, because I write fantasy and world-building is one of my favorite parts. Nothing like creating a mythology....

Oh, I also play LoTRO sometimes -- anyone else? I'm on the RP server, Landroval, and I've got a few characters. I like being a Hobbit. That's party why I like the start of fall so very much; it encourages Hobbitesque behaviors, and makes me wish even more that I lived in a Hobbit-hole.
#14 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mmmmm... hobbit holes! There were some visuals in the movies that were really off from my mental vision but the hobbit holes were perfect.

Happy Birthday All! I'll be back later with opening info... but the girls are going nuts in the kitchen so I've got a possible mess happening.

Binkin- It's gorgeous! Did you draw it yourself? I'll admit I cheated and pulled out my RotK to double check the letters (and vowels... I'm rotten at figuring out where the vowels go ).

#15 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Alas, no, I didn't draw it myself. I have a wonderful tattoo artist, though. This is my other tattoo, not really relevant, but uh... I like it.

Regarding the movies: I hated the first one when I saw it initially but have grown to enjoy them as a separate kind of thing. That said, I do think they got Hobbit-holes right, too. Time to go eat second breakfast for me....
#16 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Ooh, yay! I wanna play!

I've already read Fellowship this year, but one more time upon the hundreds can't hurt.

Oh, 18 years of obsession... now time to pass it on to MY little one. My father started me on The Hobbit when I was four years old... it can't hurt to read Fellowship to my one month old, right? ::

Best. Line. Ever.: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
#17 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM

happy birthday, frodo and bilbo (and my dh)!
:
#18 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

CHAPTER ONE - A LONG EXPECTED PARTY

Soooo... Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo!

For those who haven't read the Hobbit (which really isn't necessary to "get" the LotR, though it's a fun children's story with good "chapter book" breaks... Bilbo gets knocked out a lot ), the title of this chapter is a play on the title of the first chapter of the Hobbit... "An Unexpected Party".

In that chapter we meet Bilbo Baggins, learn that hobbits Do Not like adventure (dirty uncomfortable things ), and find Gandalf setting Bilbo up for an adventure "for his own good"... Gandalf informs a group of dwarves that Bilbo is a burglar and they should hire him to assist them in their quest to regain their kingdom from a dragon. So Bilbo has an adventure in spite of himself, finds the Ring under a mountain, and returns to the Shire.

If you're curious about the Hobbit there's a nice synopsis here. That site also digs a bit into the differences between the Middle Earth of the Hobbit and the Middle Earth of the Fellowship. Again, not really important for understanding the LotR though knowing the Hobbit does add humour/meaning to some comments and moments in the Fellowship.

#19 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM

i didn't even notice that about the chapter title till you mentioned it! i thought it vaguely sounded familiar!

you know what....i forgot about this. a LOOOOONG time ago, after i'd read this series for the first time, i got a book at the library called "Bored of the Rings", which was a spoof in one small volume. it was hilarious. Frodo was called Frito, Bilbo was called Dildo, and all i else remember about it is they went to sleep one night in the forest, and got intentionally snared by a plant which ended up being a hickey plant, that left marks all over the party

eta: i can't believe i found this. i got curious after i posted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bored_of_the_Rings

#20 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 PM

ok, that's funny, cause i just popped on here to share that i just had a google ad (freaky stuff, that) for MST3K downloadables for the LOTR flicks.... i'm SO going to have to find time for that!!!
#21 of 318 Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think I was 7 or 8 when my dad bought us (bro and I) a copy of Bored of the Rings. He remembered it (obviously VERY vaguely) and it was only 5 cents (friend of the library book sale final day) so he thought why not. I only got about 30-40 pages in before my mom found out exactly what this book involved. Didn't see it again till college.

#22 of 318 Old 09-23-2008, 12:32 AM

I have Bored of the Rings... haven't read it yet, though. I inherited it from my husband. I wonder if he's realized I claim all his sci-fi books as my own...
#23 of 318 Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 PM

EEEKKKK ok the 22nd apparently snuck up and past me! Going to have to hit the library tomorrow, just checked and the books are there... will have them hold them for me! Can't believe I missed starting with you guys

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#24 of 318 Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I think we're pretty laid back Cari... you're not late! I imagine that with one chapter a week some mamas will read it right off the bat while others might cram it in at the last minute and that's all good. And the first couple of chapters are a bit "slow" in terms of having much to talk about...

Wait till the later chapters when everyone is off on their own doing who know's what!

Actually, I was looking at the timeline (at the end of RotK) and was sort of surprised at the "near misses" in the story. It isn't in the first chapter, but there are a few places early on in FotR where people miss each other by hours. Obviously it's a book and the author isn't going to "solve it" at the end of the first chapter, but it makes me think about how the story could have gone if things had been just a little different. I can't decide if it makes it more or less realistic to have that sort of "almost".

Anyone want to weigh in on that?

#25 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Actually, I was looking at the timeline (at the end of RotK) and was sort of surprised at the "near misses" in the story. It isn't in the first chapter, but there are a few places early on in FotR where people miss each other by hours. Obviously it's a book and the author isn't going to "solve it" at the end of the first chapter, but it makes me think about how the story could have gone if things had been just a little different. I can't decide if it makes it more or less realistic to have that sort of "almost".

Anyone want to weigh in on that?
I haven't seen the timeline yet. This is my first time reading the books. I wonder if I should go ahead and check out the other two from the library. Hmm...

Anyway, I totally enjoyed the first chapter! I love the descriptiveness. I loved the build-up to the party. I was feeling the excitement along with all the Hobbits.

Oh and I thought Frodo's family history was so interesting. I enjoyed reading about his mother and father and how he came to be Bilbo's heir. And it was a fun fact that Frodo is turning 33. I always thought of him as a teenager/ young adult.

Quote:
"Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your betters, or you'll land in trouble too big for you."
I loved this. I will have to use that one.

Anyway, so sorry if I seem all jumbled. Like I said, this is the first time reading this for me so I am a tad excited! :

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#26 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Go ahead and bounce! LotR is a wonderful book with so much depth...

About checking out the timeline... well, the books and the movies are a bit different. If you've seen the movies then there are still places where the books will surprise you, and some of the characters you meet will be very different than their movie counterparts. The timeline is part of the appendices and it's good geeky fun. But it might take away a few of the surprises and it's certainly not "necessary" to read the timeline in order to enjoy the story. So it's sort of up to you and how you like to read a book.

How's that for a wishy washy answer?

If you enjoy backstory though, the appendices will be much good fun (lots of family trees and historical records... the intro to FotR describes some of the things in the appendix, like the Red Book of Westmarch) and you might enjoy the Silmarillion, the Lays of Beleriand, or the Books of Lost Tales.

#27 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM

I love wishy washy! I think that I will wait for the surprise then.

Thanks for the links too!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#28 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
And it was a fun fact that Frodo is turning 33. I always thought of him as a teenager/ young adult.
33 IS a young adult for a Hobbit. Just the way they reckon things, and how they grow and age, 33 is considered about equivalent to our 18 or 21 - it's their adulthood.

He actually doesn't even start the journey until he's 50!

and if you think THAT's bad, Aragorn is 87 - 88 years old during the Quest. A very sexy 88, mind you.
#29 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlathia View Post
33 IS a young adult for a Hobbit. Just the way they reckon things, and how they grow and age, 33 is considered about equivalent to our 18 or 21 - it's their adulthood.

He actually doesn't even start the journey until he's 50!

and if you think THAT's bad, Aragorn is 87 - 88 years old during the Quest. A very sexy 88, mind you.
So fasincating!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#30 of 318 Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM

i'm so excited because i figured out i can read along with you all, still finish simarillion, AND also read this diss i've had on my shelf forever.. from my prof in undergrad, a student of his... it's on tolkien and my area of brit hist.... anyhow,. totally nerdy, very excited.
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page