One Board One Book: To Kill a Mockingbird: Chapter One - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Why are the children fascinated by the Radley house?

2. What did you learn about Dill in this Chapter?

4. What do you learn about the town of Maycomb and the Finch family in this chapter?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#2 of 4 Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Children are fascinated by mystery and the unfamiliar, those that might be more familiar with the actual history discuss it in hushed whispers or regard it with horror, crossing streets to avoid it or shaking their heads and not speaking.

This seems to transform the horrific into the mystical.

2. What did you learn about Dill in this Chapter? One learns that Dill is a small intelligent boy who was happy when he was telling stories and did not like to speak about his absent father

4. What do you learn about the town of Maycomb and the Finch family in this chapter? A basic history of a southern town and long residing southern family.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 4 Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 PM

Who wouldn't be? As a child it seems like I always was looking for something like this to spark my imagination. I wanted to be spooked.

He is self-confident, and maybe a little over-protected.

4. What do you learn about the town of Maycomb and the Finch family in this chapter?
A quiet declining southern town. The Finch is a family of 3 with an older father. The siblings seem close and independent.

DD2 is crying... Can't finish.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 4 Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 AM

I started reading last night with the intention of coming on and answering these questions after chapter 1. I ended up on chapter 16!

These children love reading and make believe. This house is a living, breathing mystery like one of their books had come to life. It is something forbidden and exciting in a life that otherwise seems boring to them.

He is small, and his big personality tries to overcompensate for his size and other shortcomings (i.e. no father, etc.)

4. What do you learn about the town of Maycomb and the Finch family in this chapter? We learn the history of the town and lineage of the family. The author sets in our mind such a vivid picture of the county -- tired and dirty just waiting for some hope.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page