One Board One Book: To Kill a Mockingbird: Chapter Two - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Why is Scout so excited to start school?

2. Why does Jem not want to have anything to do with Scout at school?

3. What do you think of Miss Caroline as a teacher?

4. How do the children seem different than an average 1st grader?

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 AM

I don't have time to answer all four. So, I will touch on two of them...

3. What do you think of Miss Caroline as a teacher?
As a parent, I am so frustrated with her! How dare she tell a student to stop reading with her father! She assumed that her at-home teachers (Cal included) were not able to teach her how to read and write properly. But, in her defense, that mindset was probably taught to her at the same university that trained her to become a teacher.

4. How do the children seem different than an average 1st grader?
An average 1st grader at that time or an average 1st grader today??

In either case, these kids seem so much more mature in some ways. They have seen and experienced a lot at their young ages. They know who they are and where they come from, and thus know where they are going.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM

1. Why is Scout so excited to start school?
So she will have something to do during the winter.

2. Why does Jem not want to have anything to do with Scout at school? He says because it is different there... she is a girl and younger.

3. What do you think of Miss Caroline as a teacher? She's a rookie and influenced too much by her teacher-education program. These programs can often be more of a detriment to a teacher than a help. She was completely unprepared for real-world teaching. I wonder how long she will last. Things like this is what made me step down from teaching myself and am strongly considering homeschool.

4. How do the children seem different than an average 1st grader? They are more in tune with adult life than you would think a child would be. I'm not sure how savvy I was to things at that age, but it might go to show that children listen more than we think they do. That is always something to keep in mind. It might also be the effect of the writer writing from an adult and child's perspective at once... one influencing the other.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

User Tag List