Boulevard or Signo for newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have decided to forgo the bucket this time and go with either the Boulevard or the Signo for our upcoming baby.

I couldn't find any info on the bottom harness height for the Signo, so if anyone knows.

If anyone has experience with either of these with a newborn I would be interested.

BTW DS was 8 12 at birth, I fully expect a 9lber this time.
#2 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM

Besides the weight, the baby also needs to fit the height for a convertible. I'm not sure what the bottom slots are on the Signo, but I know on the BV they're at least 10" (not sure if they're higher on new ones). My 21" DS did have a long enough torso to use a BV at birth, but I wouldn't have put him in it. The seat swallowed him whole at three months when we did start using it for him.
#3 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Neither of those are suitable for newborns, unfortunately. In order to fit properly in a convertible seat, the bottom strap must be below the baby's shoulder. Since both the Blvd and the Signo have a bottom strap height of 10", it takes a very large/tall infant to fit properly.

If you want a convertible to use from birth, look at the First Years True Fit or the Sunshine Kids Radian.

CPST & mom

#4 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

My son was 21 1/2 in long at birth, he fit fine in the evenflo triumph advanced. I don't like the radian because it is so narrow, DS would have never fit, in fact, he was smooshed in his shoulders in his peg perego bucket. I really have a bad idea of the first years brand as it is.

I feel like it is a waste of money to buy a bucket that will never be used as a carrier and for only a few months...
#5 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM

I have no clue about the Signo (but from what pp said, I'd guess no) but I would not get a BLVD or other Britax for a newborn. My 3rd was over 8 lbs and tall (22 inches I believe) and no way would he have fit safely in our Marathon. I didn't even try him out in it until 4 months.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 03:30 PM

The True Fit is made by Compass, sold as First Years

ETA: The Radian is actually wider inside than the Britax convertibles.

CPST & mom

#7 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

so, if i suck it up and buy a bucket for the first 3 mo, what would i buy? The safe seat? I really don't like Graco, I think they are cheap, but we cannot afford to spend 200+ on a bucket that will only be used a few months.
#8 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't get the SS unless you plan on using it for a year. Otherwise its a waste. The cheapest seats are the Baby Trend ones (except for Evenflo, but I wouldn't consider their infant seats).

CPST & mom

#9 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 03:52 PM

I used to despise infant buckets (bad experience with a snugride) until I found the Keyfit. It's restored my faith. If you're looking to save money though, I'd definitely check out the Baby Trend. It's usually less than a $100 and very nice, IMO, compared to the others in that price range.
#10 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, First, if the Radian is wider than the boulevard, why would a newborn not fit in the boulevard when the harness height is 9 in the radian and 9.5 in the boulevard?

Second, I don't just want a cheap seat because it is cheap, I want the safest possible seat I can get without spending an arm and a leg. I know nothing about the baby trend, how can I find out if it is safe or just cheap?
#11 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM

all infant seats are safe. As long as they are used correctly, intstalled properly and not expired.

You can read reviews about Baby Trend seats on somewhere like amazon or target. Personally, I would find an infant seat that fits my budget (my favorite two brands are Chicco and Graco) then enter it into the search engine over at car-seat.org and see what techs and advocates have to say regarding installation, likes/dislikes, etc.

#12 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 04:14 PM

oh and I'm fairly sure the lowest harness slot is 10 inches on Britax seats so it's all relative to your babies torso height. Mine seemed to have longer legs so their height at birth had nothing to do with fitting or not fitting.

#13 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM

The lowest slots on the Radian are about 8". I didn't try Ilana in it till she was 6 wks old, but she was only 8# and about 21" then. She fit fine. She however did not fit fine in the Britax seats. I have some of her in the BV and RA. She did fit better once she was about 3 mos old (9# and 23"). She didn't get even w/ the bottom slots of the MA till she was 10 mos old. Britax now says baby needs to be even w/ the bottom slots to use the seat.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#14 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomnky View Post
Okay, First, if the Radian is wider than the boulevard, why would a newborn not fit in the boulevard when the harness height is 9 in the radian and 9.5 in the boulevard?

Second, I don't just want a cheap seat because it is cheap, I want the safest possible seat I can get without spending an arm and a leg. I know nothing about the baby trend, how can I find out if it is safe or just cheap?
The shell of the Radian is more narrow, but because of the way it's designed the child has more room in the shoulder area and a ton more room in the leg area.

All seats have to pass the same test, so there is no way of knowing if any one brand if safer than others. There are some that are easier to install and use correctly. Some may argue that by lowering misuse that makes them safer. The only infant seat I'd steer clear of is the Evenflo because time and time again they've had a lot of problems with their infant seats.

Edited to Add: I just measured my Radian and the bottom slot is only 8." My BV is in the car, so I can't measure right now, but I'm 99% certain it's 10" on the lowest setting.
#15 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Take another look at the TrueFit. It's a really nice seat (made by Compass, sold by First Years.)

Mama of three.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page