Would you ever own a gun? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel confident I could use one if necessary but I worry about my young children getting it even if it is locked and unloaded. and really how practicalis it to have for protection if it is locked up an ammunition is locked up seperatly?

guns frighten me so they arent in our house.

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#122 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 PM

As some of you may already know I am a huge supporter of the second ammendment. Alas this thead is not at all what I was hoping for. Lol. I belive it is a very personal choice as to who should own a gun.

IMO if your not sure if you should and are the least bit concerned then you should not own one. As the old saying goes... Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

As for my family we own several rifles and shotguns. We do not own a handgun. If we did it would be a hunting type and not for personel defense. We keep them locked in a gun safe unloaded.

If you feel you need a gun for protection please take the time to learn about the weapon and its limitations. You owe it to yourself and others. Take a ccw class if your state offers it not only so you can carry it but so you can learn from other experienced gun owners. Thanks for reading. I'm always up for a clean 2nd ammendment debate if your interested. Just start the thead and ill be there. Lol.

Just so you know I am typing this via my blackberry perched in a tree bow in hand. So please forgive any spelling or grammer errors. Josh
#123 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Yes....in fact we own several guns and shot guns.

Before I met dh I was very much against guns...I was terrified of them. But once I met dh, and he started teaching me about them and taking me to the range, all that fear left me. I was afraid of the unknown...I know it's cliche, but knowledge is power. I have taken several safety courses, self defense classes, we go on a frequent basis to the range, and dh is planning his first hunting trip for hopefully next year.

Just a little story here.....we used to live a bad neighborhood (wasn't bad when we moved there....but went downhill fast). Dh worked nights, so the gun was kept loaded at nights for me.....when he got home in the morning we unload it and lock the ammo up in seperate place. I am so grateful we did this about 2 years ago. I was sleeping in my room when all of a sudden I heard some pounding noises....it was someone slamming full force into my front door. I ran and got the kids and put them into my room, grabbed my gun and waited in the hallway with it pointed at the door, while on the phone with the police. I was terrified but at the same time I felt safe knowing I could protect my kids. I did yell that I was armed but I don't know if he heard me or not. The police showed up but he had ran off before they got there. Long story short......turns out that we weren't the first apartment that night he tried to get into (he did get in 1 other).....they found the guy, and he was a known gang member that had a history of breaking into homes....armed. I am beyond grateful that dh made sure we had a plan in place in case anything like this happened, grateful that I had a gun and that I knew what I was doing, and grateful that the police got there as quickly as they did. We moved that very week to a new place, but that memory will stick with me for a very long time.

Our dc know gun safety inside and out. We have even 'tested' them on gun safety. While at a family gathering at sil's house, we left a toy gun that looked very real, in the play room. We had one of those baby video monitors in there so we could watch what they did.....not only did my dc but my sil's kids did the very thing we taught them to do.....do not touch it, step away, and call for an adult. BUT....dh's twin sister, who is VERY against guns and has never taught her son any gun safety what so ever, kept trying to pick it up, even while my and sil dc told him not to. It was a forbidden fruit so to speak. That little test prompted sil to take a different stance on gun safety, thankfully.
#124 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM

No. I think it's too dangerous to have them in a house with young kids. If I were in a dangerous area, I would consider other options.
#125 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertymom View Post
I also carry one whenever I am going to be out after dark. Or when I go running early in the am. How many times have you heard of women being killed while out jogging? I hear that ALL the time.
Really? All the time? I have heard some stories like that over the years, hardly all the time. But in the last couple weeks there have been at least 3 stories in NC&E about small children accidentally shot by their parents.

And I hear far more often about a husband shooting his wife in anger than I do about joggers being attacked and killed.

nothing more to say I guess :
#126 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 PM

Actually, I have never heard of a woman getting killed while jogging in my area. Almost all shootings in my area are either domestic disputes, or drug related.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#127 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Yeah I have never heard of it either.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#128 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Maybe jogger killing is worse in libertymoms area while gun accidents/abuse are worse in your area
#129 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 PM

No thankfully, gun accidents and deaths are *hundreds* times more likely in any similar sized U.S. city than where I live.

#130 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Around here it's the same, and our city is not a low crime area. But still, no joggers getting murdered, unless you could the man a few years back who was beaten to death for being gay.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#131 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 PM

I honestly have never heard of any murders in my city (Rio Rancho) and most of the death that makes the news in Albuquerque seems to be domestic violence.

Now, I've lived in some shady areas of Denver (Federal & Colfax) but the crime there related mainly to drugs. Never would have I dreamed of opening the door with a gun in my hand... (so, I wouldn't open the door to strangers there but still). If I felt like my family was truly in danger there, we would have peaced the F out!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#132 of 165 Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromero View Post

Our dc know gun safety inside and out. We have even 'tested' them on gun safety. While at a family gathering at sil's house, we left a toy gun that looked very real, in the play room. We had one of those baby video monitors in there so we could watch what they did.....not only did my dc but my sil's kids did the very thing we taught them to do.....do not touch it, step away, and call for an adult. BUT....dh's twin sister, who is VERY against guns and has never taught her son any gun safety what so ever, kept trying to pick it up, even while my and sil dc told him not to. It was a forbidden fruit so to speak. That little test prompted sil to take a different stance on gun safety, thankfully.
This really spoke to me. I am very comfortable with guns, grew up with them in the house, took courses on safety, etc. When we stay with my parents, I know they are all over the house and my children know not to touch them. (They are kept locked, with ammo seperate for the most part, but there are some "show" guns that are not loaded and are out of reach)

My nephew on the other hand, has been taught that guns are "bad" and yet his mother still allows him to play with toy guns at my inlaws house. So guess which child pretends to shoot my children and terrorizes them every year? My daughter still talks about the last visit.

Even if you shield your children from all "real" guns, they are going to learn about guns and shooting from their friends and from school. I would encourage all who are afraid of guns, to please take the time to teach your children gun safety--and to educate yourselves as well! Do it online or go to a hunters safety course.

I can guarantee that if there is a gun "accident" in my family it will be on the side of the family that is afraid of guns, and has allowed their children to view them as toys rather than weapons. I have already had one niece shoot herself right above the eye with a BB gun, that she had no business playing with. (She healed fine, but this side of the family still doesn't seem to have learned the lesson about letting children play with guns.)
#133 of 165 Old 11-25-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Even if you shield your children from all "real" guns, they are going to learn about guns and shooting from their friends and from school. I would encourage all who are afraid of guns, to please take the time to teach your children gun safety--and to educate yourselves as well! Do it online or go to a hunters safety course.
My thoughts exactly. My sil won't allow guns in their house, even though my brother hunts fairly often, and both of their children have already taken a gun safety course.
#134 of 165 Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM

I wouldn't allow guns in my house not b/c I'm "afraid of guns" and hiding or sheltering my child, but b/c I don't think it's safe to have guns and kids in the same house. Period. It's not as if kids haven't gotten to guns their parents thought they surely couldn't.
#135 of 165 Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 PM

First of all, what kind of gun is he getting for you? Personally I think that something like a rifle is more likely to strike fear into someone than a handgun...But I also live in Alaska and the common response to someone coming onto your property with malicious intent is to grab a shotgun. I never thought about owning a gun until I got one for Christmas (a rifle, which dp uses more than I do) a few years back. My DP is also gone a LOT (he works in Prudhoe Bay), and we don't even have a dog... The guns just make me feel safer... Yes you can laugh, but I do.

The benefits (imho) of a handgun:
*can be stuffed under the mattress or locked bedside drawer for faster, um, operation. Bullets can also go in the drawer. Put the key somewhere safe and out of reach of the kids.

We keep ours locked away but when DP is gone I sleep with his .38 under the mattress just in case (unloaded). DS is too little to care. When he is older I will have to come up with another option but until then I do what I can.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#136 of 165 Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 PM

A link for your viewing pleasure. Complete w/ sources for stats.

http://www.tincher.to/myths.htm
#137 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 12:02 AM

Also. if you want to dbl check some stats, enter your search criteria here. Under advanced options at the bottom, you can check specific age groups.

http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html
#138 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 AM

in all races the number one cause of death is people 35-44 is unintentional poisoning. wtf?
#139 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleep View Post
A link for your viewing pleasure. Complete w/ sources for stats.

http://www.tincher.to/myths.htm
from that link

Quote:
MYTH: Twelve children are killed with guns each day.
FACT: Half of the people that politicians count as "children killed with guns" were actually legally adults. The gun murder rate started falling when crack cocaine started going out of style in 1990. In 1997, 2284 children aged 0-17 years were killed with guns, most of them teenagers. That is 6 per day. In 1998, the number dropped to 1971, still mostly teenagers. That is 5 per day. The age distribution of child gun deaths tracks the age distribution of child drug dealers.
Source: Centers For Disease Control
Ahh well 5 kids a day. That's OK then eh?

#140 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
Ahh well 5 kids a day. That's OK then eh?

I think we'd all agree that any child killed with a gun - either by accident or violent design - is tragic. But, the reason that statistic is disturbing to me is because of the propaganda implications of skewing statistics - especially when they involve children.

To put it in perspective: Not too many people around here on MDC appreciate it when ACOG or the AMA skew homebirth statistics and pull the 'dead baby card' to suit their purposes.

While firearms and child safety is absolutely an issue every gun owner and parent should consider - whether or not the gun owner and parent are one and the same - I think it's an issue that should be examined honestly. Including an armed 18-year-old gangbanger killed in a shootout and an 8-year-old killed in a preventable gun accident in the same set of statistics isn't honest.
#141 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 AM

Haven't anything but OP but no, no, no.

My father was cleaning his gun in another room, with the knowledge that it wasn't loaded (he is former military so you'd think he's know) when it went off through his wall into mine as I innocently studied for a chemistry final. It missed me, barely. I thought he'd finally lost it and was going to do us all in. heh....heh...cricket... *ahem*

Now, I am a single mom living in a fairly urban neighborhood. I've never even considered a gun. I do, however have a big baseball bat in my closet.

IMO, for a gun to be effective, it has to be fairly close at hand. If it is, it's a danger to my children. And not at all worth it.

Carry on with your discussion.
#142 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 02:19 AM

Wow! Lots of interest in this topic. A couple thoughts:

1) I'd recommend a variety of methods for ensuring your family's safety, not just one method. A dog, alarm system, gun if you wish, security lighting, self-defense classes, fences, effective locks.

2) I second a PP's suggestion to go to a gun range. Do a lot of shooting. See how you feel. You may have a reaction you haven't anticipated.

3) If you do choose to have a gun, do ALL the safety things. Classes, gun safes, locks, unloaded, children trained. PPs have said a lot of good ideas.

4) Have a gun only if you are willing to kill someone. I know that if I were faced with protecting my baby, "mama bear" would have no problem choosing. I don't mean to sound flippant. I'm a black belt in karate, and have had to do a lot of thinking about the consequences if I'm forced to defend my family.

5) If you can possibly manage it, I'd recommend martial arts classes as well. Many times we are so taken unaware that we wouldn't have time to prepare the gun, or we are not in the same area as the gun. Martial arts also teach you to work WITH adrenalin, and not freeze up.

6) Growing up on a farm with chickens: If a predator comes along, let the chickens go. You can try scaring them off. Simply by turning on a light or yelling at them will work. Besides, if the predator doesn't flee, you are more likely to shoot a chicken than the predator! In my experience, of all the times the raccoons go into the chicken house, we were unaware anything had happened until the morning.

BTW, we don't have any guns. I'm not sure we have the discipline to maintain all the required safety procedures that I would place on us. Becasue I'm not sure, that means we're not ready for it! Good luck!

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#143 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 04:19 AM

As long as you're responsible about it, I have no problem at all with guns. DD's dad is a cop and he has a gun on his hip all the time. I keep guns in the house. I live alone and I get really freaked out sometimes.

OP, if you're still considering a gun:

1.) Get yourself some shooting lessons. Don't be afraid of guns. Learn to clean them, shoot them, etc. Become familiar with them. If your kids are old enough (sorry I can't remember), take them to the shooting range with you and teach them about safe handling, etc. As soon as dd's old enough (whenever she shows interest, I guess) her dad and I will teach her about guns, how to handle them, safety, etc.

2.)Select an area (or areas) in your home to keep the gun(s)--high, out of reach from kids. Just like a fire escape, plan a "burglary" plan of action. If you/kids are suddenly awoke by someone breaking the glass on your kitchen door, have a plan of where/what to do. The fears you have--whether it's someone breaking in though the kitchen or living room or whatever--have a plan of action for each situation. It could be as simple as running out the front door to a neighbors house or heading for your safe spot inside the house where the gun is kept. Just have a plan of action.

DD's dad is a cop and I'm going to school to be a cop (re-enrolling this spring to finish degree). He's paranoid. I'm paranoid. Having a plan of action isn't a bad thing. Cops practice life saving strategies by playing situations over in their heads all the time. They role play different scenarios of things that could happen (or things that have happened to fallen officers) and make a plan on how they will win the battle. I do the same, but different circumstances. I will probably never have to use my guns...but if I do need to, I'll be glad I have them.
#144 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMacGee View Post
My father was cleaning his gun in another room, with the knowledge that it wasn't loaded (he is former military so you'd think he's know) when it went off through his wall into mine as I innocently studied for a chemistry final. It missed me, barely. I thought he'd finally lost it and was going to do us all in. heh....heh...cricket... *ahem*
Who was at fault here, the gun or your dad? Your father misused, horribly, a tool and that leaves only him to blame. If I'm chopping veggies and I lop off my finger, I certainly don't blame the knife.

Again, please do NOT leave guns where they are accessible to anyone, no matter how "well-hidden" or "out of reach" you may think they are. Invest in a gun safe and use it. PLEASE.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#145 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Banned

No, but they're as good as illegal here. I can't imagine owning one and know nobody who does.
#146 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Do those of you with lots of guns (especially with loaded guns) tell parents of your children's friends about them?
We don't have a kid yet. But, we plan on saying that we have guns.

We're both a bit reclusive, and don't really enjoy other people's kids ... so we're actually hoping this will deter parents from bringing their kids over.

No ... actually, I'm ashamed to say, that we are hoping it will deter play dates and all that jazz. I just hope we don't get one of those extroverted, social kids. It would be just our luck!

Re: injuries with guns, kids getting into guns, people shooting each other, etc., .... NONE of these incidents are accidents or mistakes. They're prime examples of lax or irresponsible gun ownership.

A gun is a tool. Just like a knife is a tool. Just like a car is a tool.

I have read quite a few newspaper articles on parents running over their children while backing out of the driveway. Or parents leaving their newborns in the car, and suffocating them in that way.

Yet ... most of us are OK with cars.

Conversely, look up the statistic on knife injuries. Yet, we all have knives in the kitchen.

A gun is just like any other tool. And it is NOT the gun, alone, that will injure or kill. It is the person or child who gets their hands on it. And, that, my friends, is NEVER an accident. It is, as I said, ALWAYS a lack of responsibility (or just plain laziness) on the part of the gun owners.

In fact, I would say, kids playing with toy guns just increases the risk of a gun accident. If they were to ever come across a real gun - they would point and shoot it just as they do with toys.

I was never allowed to play with toy guns as a kid precisely for this reason. Because guns are NOT toys ... even fake ones. They do not teach the seriousness of life/death when it comes to such a tool.

Incidentally, I wasn't allowed to play with fake knives either. Because it teaches a false sense of security ... then a kid sees a real knife and starts playing with it.

Generally, I find the idea of weapons as toys abhorrent. More so than owning a real gun responsibly, and teaching children about guns - safety, responsibility, and target practice (for those of us who own).

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#147 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Yeah and car owners are required to be licensed and insured. I think gun owners should be as well.

I've looked at the actual raw numbers of gun injuries and deaths in the U.S. in an academic setting. It is chilling.

The knife comparison is silly. It would be pretty difficult and rare to accidentally kill yourself or someone else with a knife, difficult to kill many people at once with a knife, and intended victims would have a much better chance at getting away, defending themselves, or recovering from a stabbing.

#148 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Do those of you with lots of guns (especially with loaded guns) tell parents of your children's friends about them?
we dont qualify for the loaded gun ownership category b/c the guns we own are unloaded (most are in a safe downstairs in the basement...a very large safe) and one is in our bedroom in a safe.

as far as telling other parents...yes, almost everyone taht comes in our home knows that we are gun owners (really, its DP who is the gun owner..i am only by extension).

it used to be the first Q i would ask parents before allowing my children to visit w/o me. I feel I owe it to parents to inform them of that issue, as I would have liked to have been informed myself (even though most do not ask).
#149 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Who was at fault here, the gun or your dad? Your father misused, horribly, a tool and that leaves only him to blame. If I'm chopping veggies and I lop off my finger, I certainly don't blame the knife.

Again, please do NOT leave guns where they are accessible to anyone, no matter how "well-hidden" or "out of reach" you may think they are. Invest in a gun safe and use it. PLEASE.
Funny question. I would say the gun. Or at least the presence of a gun. If he had been sharpening a knife, it would hardly have gone off, gone through a wall and almost hit a child, now would it?

He made a mistake, but had he not had a gun, it would not have been so dangerous.

#150 of 165 Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Guns are tools yes, but what are they for? What is their purpose? To kill, to injure, to maim, to destroy. The purpose of knives is a bit more diverse.

I'm not anti-gun, but I can't deny what the purpose of a gun is.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page