Preparing to be around a Dingo/pitbull - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkRotts View Post
In August we went and stayed with my mil for 2 weeks. She has an older Jack Russel Terrier, who does NOT like kids. I never had to ask her to put him up. I ALWAYS knew where he was and was ALWAYS right there to intervene when the babies tried to interact with him. It wasn't easy keeping three VERY active dog loving toddlers away from a dog who didn't like them, but we did it. I have to admit, it was exhausting, but we made it work. What really helped was the fact that my fil took the dog everywhere with him. When the babies would start to focus on the dog too much, my fil would put him outside for a while, which gave him a little break and gave us time to get the babies focused on something else.
I just wanted to point out that your FIL was considerate of you and the dog. He was acting as a responsible dog owner and host should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Yes but she does not own the dog, so therefore I don't think the responsibility should rest 100 percent on her. That is not fair at all. I guess it just boils down to what your opinion is of the situation I guess. I think personally the dog should be put away for both the safety of the dog and child. But, that is just me, and I know how 2.5 year old children can be, I live with one 24/7, and it is just not possible for some children to control their impulses.
The dog owner is responsible for the dog. Period. If he refuses to put the dog in a safe room for the dog's sake, then he's not being kind to his dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear View Post
The dog owner in the OP is being careless. Why would he allow his dog to be put into the way of harm (and a rambunctious 2.5-yr old is quite able to inflict harm on a dog), and not be willing to protect this treasured pet ?

Why invite a family with a young child over if he isn't willing to protect his pet?

It baffles me - both as a parent (my kids are 2, 4, and 6 yrs old), and as a dog owner.
ITA!!!

Thank you for this thread. We are going to visit my brother for Christmas, and I need find out what's happening with his two dogs, a puppy who was abused possibly and a dog who used to belong to an older lady. The puppy (at 9-12 mos) barked at me when I quit petting/playing with him and picked up my then 2 mo daughter. She's 19 mos now.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Yep. It's the ideas that 2.5 year olds can consistently follow rules, and that it is a doable thing to spend 24/7 monitoring the child and dog together.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 

User Tag List