Question on preparing for baby's arrival (first time Mom here and started my registry) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM
acp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We borrowed an infant seat (a Graco) and bought a britax roundabout for our first. It's true that you could use the convertible from the beginning, but I have to say, the infant seat seemed a much better fit and more snuggly when she was little (and she was a big babe when she was born). I was also bummed when she outgrew it because it was SO much easier to travel with, and we do a fair amount of travel. We actually started using our Britax when she was about 4 months old, since she seemed slightly happier in it (she HATED the car seat from a very young age), but still used the infant seat for travel until about 7 or 8 months.
This time I cant borrow the infant one from the same friend, since she needs it, but I'm hoping to borrow it from someone else. If I can't, I'm not sure.... Not sure I want to buy one for just a few months, but it really does have its place, for me at least. Just because you have one doesn't mean you'll be someone who leaves your babe in it all the time, transferring it from car to stroller to home. I rarely left her in it, though there were certainly a few times when she fell asleep in the car that I was grateful I had the option to transfer her rather than wake her up when the car stopped.
#32 of 41 Old 12-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
Well the SnugRide 32 is twice as much money as the regular SnugRide (that only goes to 22 lbs). When we moved dd from the SnugRide to the Marathon (rear facing of course) @ 4-5 months, she was MUCH happier w/ the positioning. I can't imagine anyone being able to carry a baby around in a bucket weighing more than 22lbs & as long as you were going to RF in a convertible, I guess don't understand why you'd spend the extra money on a SnugRide 32 rather than putting that money toward a better convertible. Although, I guess you could go straight from a SnugRide32 to a Nautilus is you really left your kid in the SnugRide32 to 32lbs.
I was pointing out the difference between the SnugRide and the SnugRide 32 because this was my first time around and I didn't understand that there was a difference at first. Like when were deciding on the Keyfit and looking at travel systems (the stroller thing + carseat, which I didn't even particularly want, but DH was interested in) and discovered that there is a regular Keyfit rated to 22lbs and the Keyfit 30. These things may be obvious if you've had to go through buying a carseat before, but it was a bit confusing (like why don't they call them SnugRide 22 and Keyfit 22?) for a newbie.

I think with the infant seat, I am trying to give myself options. I don't plan to carry my kid around in his infant seat much at all, but I would like the option of being able to take him in and out of the car in it if he's asleep or if it's easier to adjust it in the house (or, since it will be summer while he's still little, if it's easier to cool things off in the house instead of putting him in a carseat that's been sitting in the car in the sun). But I hear your point about the seats with the higher weight limits being more expensive.
#33 of 41 Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
That said... how come we're all so concerned about car seat safety (MI just passed a law that boosters are required until a child is eight)...

and yet we send them off to school on busses with no seat belts??

(Another good reason to home school, I know! )
You can find more complete info on this elsewhere, but here's what I know. School buses are bigger and drive more slowly (in general) than cars do. If a bus hits a car it's higher up, so the people in the bus don't get hurt the way the people in the car do. They're also designed somehow on the inside to absorb crash forces when a child hits the seat in front of them.

What I read in the Family Safety forum said that buses are safer to travel in than cars.

I still figure it couldn't hurt to put seatbelts in a school bus. I don't know enough to say why they haven't yet. Hasn't Safeguard designed a school bus seat with seat belts?
#34 of 41 Old 12-07-2008, 04:41 AM

We have the graco snugride for my first dd and will to use it again w/ this baby.

I had dd in it until over a year. She always has been a small kiddo though and at the bottom or under the charts. So I guess that is rare for a child to be in one for so long like that.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#35 of 41 Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM

on the bus thing, we asked and were told that the kids won't wear the seatbelts and whack each other with them so therefore buses are safer without them

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#36 of 41 Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM

Moved to Family Safety.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#37 of 41 Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
You can find more complete info on this elsewhere, but here's what I know. School buses are bigger and drive more slowly (in general) than cars do. If a bus hits a car it's higher up, so the people in the bus don't get hurt the way the people in the car do. They're also designed somehow on the inside to absorb crash forces when a child hits the seat in front of them.

What I read in the Family Safety forum said that buses are safer to travel in than cars.

I still figure it couldn't hurt to put seatbelts in a school bus. I don't know enough to say why they haven't yet. Hasn't Safeguard designed a school bus seat with seat belts?
Buses also have what is known as "compartmentalization." Picture a shoe box with a dozen eggs, sitting in your back seat. Now say you hit a pothole or slam on the brakes. All those eggs will break. Now, with the same dozen eggs in an egg carton (compartmentalized), all the eggs are fine

Also, buses do get in far less accidents per capita--due in part to drivers with much more training. When they do get in crashes, they are so much larger that there is usually very little damage to the bus at all.

Riding on a bus with an unrestrained child is much safer than riding in your car with a properly restrained kiddo.

Sorry to derail

Also, buses under a certain weight (think the "short bus") require seatbelts. Usually these smaller buses are used when transporting children with special needs, and so they are in child restraints.

CPST & mom

#38 of 41 Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 PM

There are lots of good carriers and lots of reasons to get one! With two winter babies in Michigan, I was glad we had one! We went with a Snugride and then moved them to a convertible at about 4 months. I was ready to move them, I'm not a big bucket fan but it serves its purpose well! I encourage parents to look at the ease of use features like a front harness adjust, an adjustable base and built in lock offs if you will be using a lap/shoulder seat belt (remember that alot of vehicles don't have center LATCH when you are car seat shopping- check your manual!). You typically see alot of recommendations for the Graco Snugride/Safeseat and the Chicco Keyfit but there are other good ones out there!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#39 of 41 Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Personally I won't put my kids in an evenflo seat or any made by dorel.

Do a google for chicago tribune and carseats to see why. I don't trust the company.

-Angela
#40 of 41 Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 AM

Hi, I'm a first time mom too and I just wanted to let you know what I'm doing.

We're getting the Chicco Cortina travel system with the infant car seat and then plan on using/getting a Britax later.
#41 of 41 Old 12-08-2008, 11:23 AM

we used a graco snugride at the beginning. it was nice because ds was born in october, so we could bring the seat in out of the cold. we got him a marathon during the february britax sale, when he was almost 5 months, and he was barely tall enough for it. there is no possible way he would have fit in it as a newborn

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page