How often do you REALLY wash your hands? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't want to hijack the "hand sanitizer" thread...

Honestly, how often do you visit the sink and scrub properly with soap and water? Do you wash thoroughly when you use the bathroom at 3am? Especially my fellow pregnant mommas that get up frequently?

I'm good about doing it while I'm cooking and when I use the bathroom in a public restroom...However, when I'm at home and not about to eat or something I don't always wash properly. It's a little annoying to scrub each and every time when you know you'll just be back in 30 minutes.

Am I just totally gross?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 PM

I wash each time I go to the bathroom. But a 3am pee will probably just be a quick rinse.

After brushing the dog.

When I come in from having been out running errands (that's a big one for me.)
#3 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 PM

I am an RN so at work A LOT... at home after a bm... mine or anyone else's - food prep before and after and anytime i touch raw meat as a rule. oh, and when they're dirty from toddler or baby goo.
#4 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogs4 View Post
... at home after a bm... mine or anyone else's - food prep before and after and anytime i touch raw meat as a rule. oh, and when they're dirty from toddler or baby goo.
Yup! Same here.

You should've made a poll.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#5 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 PM

I wash after every bathroom and diaper change. Every time I come home from some where, even if it's just down to the mail box.
I still get sick a whole lot though...

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#6 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 PM

I wash after poopy diaper changes, and occasionally after I use the bathroom, and when my hands get dirty. I pretty much never get sick. I am not really a huge believer in germs though... sure if you're handing feces or cadavers, but otherwise not big on handwashing.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#7 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Only before I prepare any food for others and then if I get anything like raw meat or oily stuff on me then after. After using the bathroom I just rinse, maybe soap after bm, mine or wiping the toddler.
#8 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 PM

I wash my hands A LOT! only cause I'm ocd about it, though. The only time I guess I do not is when I pee in the middle of the night. I don't flush then, either.

I'm not a germaphobe I just can't stand my hands feeling dirty or sticky or smelling like anything We definitely do not use anti-bacterial anything (handsoap or sanitizer crap) and my kids do not share the handwashing love that I have. They, however, pretty much never get sick so maybe it's because I am not one of those mom's who insists on handwashing except when we are in public restrooms. I mean, I get on them to wash after going to the bathroom but not necessarily before meals or after school, etc.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 PM

I wash frequently. I am a former RN (well I still am but haven't worked in 6 years) so it's habit. I am also going through chemo. I don't use antibacterial soap but I wash before eating, after using the bathroom, and any time I come in from outside or doing errands. I also wash my hands after handling my cats, they are outdoor mouse eaters.
I have ds in the habit of doing the same thing. It's a pain and I have to remind him, but he understands the importance of it.
I'm also a bit OCD about food safety. If leftovers aren't eaten the next day, they get tossed. If I handle raw meat, I disinfect everything.
We don't get sick a whole lot.

Normally I am much more relaxed, and I do admit that the 3am pee only gets a rinse.
#10 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 PM

I teach food safety, so I wash alot! Before and during cooking, especially after handling raw meat or eggs, I will stop and clean/sanitize the counter and all dishes used for said meat/eggs before moving on to prep raw veggies, after using the bathroom or helping anyone else in the bathroom. Before eating, everyone washes before eating especially!! We have pets, so I worry about making sure the kids wash well before eating. I am not a particularly fastidious housekeeper though, nor do I worry alot 'germs' or sick kids. We are all generally very healthy people, especially me and DD. I worry more about food sources and handling of food during processing, delivery and storage. All that said, I do not wash during 3am pees

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#11 of 73 Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM

EVERY single time I use any bathroom including at my home.

EVERY single time I return to my house after being out and about.

Before I eat or prepare food, and many times during the food prep process.

If I am sick I wash them even more especially before touching shared things like doorknobs etc.

If I need to touch my face I wash my hands before and after as well- this is the most common way infection is transmitted- hand to face.

My kids also wash their hands before eating, after playing, upon entering the house from school or public places and I'm proud to say both my girls wash each time they use the restroom home and in public- this is not a negotiable thing.

We use hand sanitizer after touching grocery carts, debit card machines, money or any public surface after our trip is done- usually this is done in the car.

I also don't allow my kids to eat on the fly unless there is a place to wash hands first. Ick.

This is the only way really to have any control over viruses and other contagious things- it really minimizes exposure.

And I don't have raw hands and neither do my kids, I'd say I probably wash my hands 10-20 times a day depending on how much cooking I do, or how much I need to use the bathroom.

#12 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 AM

I dare say most don't wash their hands properly, but washing any way helps some. I was taught proper 'nurse' handwashing this summer (hopefully starting nursing school this fall) and we were supposed to wash for 2 mins before and after shifts, after using the toilet, before and after eating, and I think that's it, it's 30 secs for other times and them we used sanitizer too. I don't wash near as well at home as I did this summer! We did this thing this summer w/ 'glo-germs' and it was gross what all can still be on your hands even after a proper washing!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#13 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 AM

Whenever I touch raw meat.
After cooking/shopping food.
After washing dishes.
After going to the bathroom (every time, no matter what).
After changing diapers (when I had kids in dipes).
After doing yardwork.
Anytime my hands hands have gotten dirty or I've gone a time without washing them.

I get about 1 cold every year, so it works to reduce getting sick.
#14 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

: Wow, you guys make me feel like such a slob! That will probably change after the baby gets here, though.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#15 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
I dare say most don't wash their hands properly, but washing any way helps some. I was taught proper 'nurse' handwashing this summer (hopefully starting nursing school this fall) and we were supposed to wash for 2 mins before and after shifts, after using the toilet, before and after eating, and I think that's it, it's 30 secs for other times and them we used sanitizer too. I don't wash near as well at home as I did this summer! We did this thing this summer w/ 'glo-germs' and it was gross what all can still be on your hands even after a proper washing!
Yup, and rub in between your fingers, under your rings, and around your fingernails. Every winter I get eczema from all the washing. Doesn't matter what kind of soap I use either. I used to get it so bad during my work days and it would get better on my days off, only to get worse again when I went back.
#16 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 AM

Every time after:

using the bathroom (except middle of the night pee - that's just a rinse)
changing a diaper
coming in from playing outside
opening the mail
coming home from errands/shopping/playground, etc.

Every time before food prep and/or eating.

We wash a lot with a non-antibacterial soap & use a natural hand sanitizer & wipies when out.

We're sick with colds pretty frequently around here in the colder seasons. But both children are in school, and DH & I work outside of the home and we live in NJ - most densely populated state in the USA, so... lots of exposure to germs I guess. We take probiotics, vitamins, echinacea, garlic, elderberry, etc. Just the way it is with having little kids.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#17 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 AM

Let's see...

I wash BEFORE/After using restroom especially if I'm in public.

Before eating or preparing food

Everyone's hands get washed thoroughly after being out in public.

This brings up another interetsting subject...I think I'll put up a poll though.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#18 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I wash my hands A LOT! only cause I'm ocd about it, though.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#19 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 AM

Wow that is a lot! I will admit I do NOT wash my hands nearly that much. I was not raised with handwashing being something that we did, my mom never had us wash our hands really ever, so it is not ingrained in my day. I have been trying to get better about it but it is surprisingly hard to rememberu. I do wash a lot before, during and after food prep especially if it inolves meat or eggs. I usually don't wash after pees but I do after poos mine or DDs. I don't make DD wash her hands after she goes potty, she is not wiping herself yet, so she doesn't touch anything. I do wash after using a public restroom and I try to remember to wash before lunch and have DD wash too but I would say I forget about 50% of the time. Never do it before breakfast and tend to never do it before snacks either. I don't really stress about washing after we have been out and hardly ever use sanitizer only if we are going on vacation soon or something. Otherwise I'll wash them if they "feel" icky. I get sick maybe 1 or 2 times a year. Same goes for DD.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#20 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 AM

wow, I'm quite embarrassed after reading all of these replies!!
I wash my hand when using a public restroom but I don't wash my hands at home after I go pee...

I always wash my hands in public restrooms ( and use the towel to open the door...)
I don;t get sick veryoften
#21 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Wow that is a lot! I will admit I do NOT wash my hands nearly that much. I was not raised with handwashing being something that we did, my mom never had us wash our hands really ever, so it is not ingrained in my day. I have been trying to get better about it but it is surprisingly hard to rememberu. I do wash a lot before, during and after food prep especially if it inolves meat or eggs. I usually don't wash after pees but I do after poos mine or DDs. I don't make DD wash her hands after she goes potty, she is not wiping herself yet, so she doesn't touch anything. I do wash after using a public restroom and I try to remember to wash before lunch and have DD wash too but I would say I forget about 50% of the time. Never do it before breakfast and tend to never do it before snacks either. I don't really stress about washing after we have been out and hardly ever use sanitizer only if we are going on vacation soon or something. Otherwise I'll wash them if they "feel" icky. I get sick maybe 1 or 2 times a year. Same goes for DD.

^I imagine your DD places her hands on the toilet seat to steady herself. Toilets spray germs into the air and on everything around them- fecal germs. (You can look this up, if you flush with the toilet seat up the fecal germs basically blast into the air- they have videos that show how most of our toothbrushes have fecal bacteria on them from this.) :

Same for when you're just peeing. You're touching the flusher (same flusher you touched after a #2) and possibly lifting the toilet seat etc.

Cleanliness after using the toilet is important if you want to avoid things like stomach bugs, the runs (the kind you can catch), and other things we carry in our lower GI tract that can make us sick.

Basically the bathroom is "contaminated" so if you touch things you touch after taking a #2 even if you haven't taken a #2 you should wash your hands.

And I wasn't raised or told to wash my hands, I just realized when I got older and had a baby that I needed to wash after diaper changes poop OR pee so it was also vitally important for grown ups too.

That's my train of thought anyway, and the health department agrees. (My husband is a chef, and people not washing their hands after using the restroom for any reason is a major cause of food borne illness.)
#22 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
^I imagine your DD places her hands on the toilet seat to steady herself. Toilets spray germs into the air and on everything around them- fecal germs. (You can look this up, if you flush with the toilet seat up the fecal germs basically blast into the air- they have videos that show how most of our toothbrushes have fecal bacteria on them from this.) :

Same for when you're just peeing. You're touching the flusher (same flusher you touched after a #2) and possibly lifting the toilet seat etc.

Cleanliness after using the toilet is important if you want to avoid things like stomach bugs, the runs (the kind you can catch), and other things we carry in our lower GI tract that can make us sick.

Basically the bathroom is "contaminated" so if you touch things you touch after taking a #2 even if you haven't taken a #2 you should wash your hands.

And I wasn't raised or told to wash my hands, I just realized when I got older and had a baby that I needed to wash after diaper changes poop OR pee so it was also vitally important for grown ups too.

That's my train of thought anyway, and the health department agrees. (My husband is a chef, and people not washing their hands after using the restroom for any reason is a major cause of food borne illness.)
Actually my DD sits on a potty ring so she doesn't touch the seat when she is sitting on it. And what I meant by I wasn't raised to wash my hands was that it isn't ingrained into my routines and my consciousness as something to do. I am trying to remember, but I often forget. I am also not really concerned. I get what you are saying, about the germs in the bathroom, but I don't really buy it. After all I don't wash (and so do many others apparently) and I'm not sick and don't get sick often with stomach bugs. We have had 3 stomach bugs in the almost 3 years since DD has been born and I can't remember having any for years and years before she was. Also, I don't know how others wipe, but I use sufficient toilet paper that my hand only touches Toilet paper and not poop or pee, so no poop or pee getting on my hands, the flusher or anywhere else.

#23 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Do you REALLY want to know.. ? Ok since you asked....I change them after bowl movements, anyone I happen to be cleaning up (including mine too ) and really other than that.......not really : I do before I prepare a meal too. I am an RN so at work I scrub ALL THE TIME (my hands are like sandpaper right now because of the cold temps and washing...it has dried them out...ick!) I am a firm believer in we have an immune system so let it do its job!!!!!
#24 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post

True, but you do wash your hands after touching things in the kitchen? I can't tell you how many studies I've found that say that eating in your bathroom is better than the kitchen because of foodbourne stuff... I'm not trying to be mean. It's just something I've always heard.

#25 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
True, but you do wash your hands after touching things in the kitchen? I can't tell you how many studies I've found that say that eating in your bathroom is better than the kitchen because of foodbourne stuff... I'm not trying to be mean. It's just something I've always heard.
Definitely, the kitchen is the capital of handwashing in this house it can be worse than the toilet in most houses.

I don't use sponges either. Ick.
#26 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM

^

Yeah, apparently according to studies, the kitchen is actually dirtier than the bathroom - namely the kitchen sink and washrags.

We don't wash much in this house, and it doesn't really phase me. Oh well! Sure, we wash after a bm (either our own or a kiddo's diaper), but other than that, no. After peeing? Very quickly. Pee is sterile anyway so I figure a rinse-off is plenty. I don't even wipe my kids' bottoms after a pee diaper.

I wash after handling raw meat, after putting away groceries or cleaning the rabbit's cage.

I always wash after using public restrooms, and never touch the trigger to dispense the paper towels (I use an elbow) or open the door handle without the paper towel in my hand.

But before meals in general, no. Even after coming inside from playing outdoors I don't require a handwashing unless they are filthy or something. No problem going from outdoor play to snacking. They also don't wash after handling my Mom & Dad's cats and dogs.

And my kids are never sick either. We get one cold a year, per kid. And so far one tummy bug per kid per year.
#27 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM

We wash all the time. When we walk in the door to the house, shoes come off and we walk directly to the sink and wash. ALWAYS after using the toilet or changing a diaper. Before touching food and definitely immediately after handling eggs and/or meat. I often bleech the counter where eggs/meat have been prepared. After wiping a nose, playing outside, handling the mail, etc. We also use hand sanizier immediately upon leaving a store or any other public place. Kids have hand sanizier on their desks at school.

We rarely get sick. I do believe that kids immune systems need to be developed by coming into contact with lots of germs, but there's a limit to how much we should spread...

I have to say that reading about others not washing after using the toilet is grossing me out!!! Isn't that how pinworm spreads?
#28 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoakd View Post
We wash all the time. When we walk in the door to the house, shoes come off and we walk directly to the sink and wash. ALWAYS after using the toilet or changing a diaper. Before touching food and definitely immediately after handling eggs and/or meat. I often bleech the counter where eggs/meat have been prepared. After wiping a nose, playing outside, handling the mail, etc. We also use hand sanizier immediately upon leaving a store or any other public place. Kids have hand sanizier on their desks at school.

We rarely get sick. I do believe that kids immune systems need to be developed by coming into contact with lots of germs, but there's a limit to how much we should spread...

I have to say that reading about others not washing after using the toilet is grossing me out!!! Isn't that how pinworm spreads?
Oh wow, that is a LOT of handwashing Pinworms:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseas...fact_sheet.htm
#29 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM

I agree, if I washed my hands as much as some of the people on this thread I'd be washing my hands 50+ times a day easy. That is just crazy to me......

#30 of 73 Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
I agree, if I washed my hands as much as some of the people on this thread I'd be washing my hands 50+ times a day easy. That is just crazy to me......
Why is that crazy?

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page