Car toys. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't want to hijack the "Pics of ERF kids" thread so I thought I'd just start a new thread.

In one picture there was a toy attached to the seat so that the RF child could play with it. Then someone mentioned they had the exact same toy.

I am so leary about that stuff. Those types of things (hard plastic) can become flying objects in the event of a crash and cause some serious injury. That's why even my RFing mirrors that allow me to see my twins are all soft.

Those moms and any other mom who has toys attached to the seat of the car for RFing kids might want to reconsider. Especially things like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/popup/zo...769&altImage=1 Those really really scare me. Can you imagine what would happen in an accident and the kind of injuries that would inflict, maybe even fatal?

By the way, there is a safer alternative here:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=427769

And another safer alternative to the back of the seat toy:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=86217

Anyone else leary about that kind of stuff too? Or am I just being paranoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:30 PM

Yeah, you are right. Hard toys in the car are a big no-no

CPST & mom

#3 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am leary of "car toys" too. We did have a soft mirror when DD was RF. It attached with a strap around the back headrest, not velcro. It was from Target, I think Eddie Bauer brand.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif

#4 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Yep....I'm the one who said we had the same toy.

If you want to get really technical, anything in the car is a potential hazard in a wreck, if it's not tied down. Some of the crash reports even show luggage in the trunk messing up the back seat, causing the car seats not to work properly....the only fix for that as far as I can tell, is either to never use your trunk; or for car makers to make cars with reinforced seat backs in the back (or make all of them that way, don't know if some are). At least those toys are attached - granted the clip won't hold at high speeds, but it's slightly more than a loose toy.... and who here honestly has never had a toy in their car while traveling with their toddler? Or only soft toys? (and then what if the kid suffocates....)

all in all, rf'ing w/ that toy is much safer than ff'ing w/out it....and if the toy is what'll keep the kid happy enough to stay rf'ing, then....

(we don't have that toy anymore, note the "had" not "has" in the msg... but again, relatively....)

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#5 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw that toy in the thread too, and wondered the same thing. I doubt i'd have a big clunky toy back there. I do give my baby some softer toys to hold and play with, they do have some plastic on them though.

That being said, i do have this mirror: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8590935 that i got at a thrift store for cheap...i dont know how "safe" it is (that is, dont know if there are any mirrors that are softer/safer) but for me its a tradeoff, not being able to see the baby doesnt make me feel safe at all, so i use it.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#6 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoEyes View Post
I

And another safer alternative to the back of the seat toy:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=86217

Anyone else leary about that kind of stuff too? Or am I just being paranoid?
no hard toys here but that pix scares me...that baby is FF'ing isnt it?
#7 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
LOL, glad I'm not the only one who thought that....just hope/assume the baby's 12 mos. (can't be much older than that!)

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#8 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Yeah, it looks like they got lazy. It's the same baby that's also RFacing. (Check the hair and the shoes). It looks like they just flipped the seat around for the different pics, to show how the toy attached both ways.

And in the RFacing pic, the carseat isn't even installed. It's just sitting there. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page