cars for 3 kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to small kids and strict car seat laws in our state, we're going to have 3 kids in car seats (and I do mean car seats, not just boosters), despite the fact the older two will be 6 and 4 when this baby arrives, so we really have to get a new car (the gap in the middle is currently about 12 inches, even with some of the narrowest seats on the market).

I've been researching vehicles and have a few ideas, but I could use some personal recommendations. Our budget is on the small side, so we're probably looking at something no newer than 2005, so however nice the current model is, it doesn't really help us! I want to have LATCH for the seats, which means 2003 onwards, but some older cars do have it.

I think we are planning on getting a minivan or SUV which has a third row as I don't think putting the oldest two next to each other is going to work and I don't want to reach in and put the baby in the middle each time.

Any suggestions?

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 PM
 
AllyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can fit 2 kids in forward facing convertable seats (Radian 80s) and an infant in a rear facing safeseat...and these are all in the back seat of a Dodge Neon...so if I can fit 3 kids in a tiny clowncar like a neon, I think you can fit 3 kids in almost anything. It's a cheap car (although you'd have to buy used...they don't make them anymore).

The more important thing, I think, is the carseats--some carseats are better than others at fitting in small cars.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
AllyRae is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM
 
LionTigerBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are currently looking at used Kia Sedona's-- a minivan-- because 1.) it will fit three carseats (an issue for us, too,) 2.) the recent models (within the last several years) are very highly rated with 5-star crash test safety ratings and 3.) because Kia is not as popular as brands like Toyota and Ford, the used Sedonas are extremely affordable (like $2500 to $4000 for a recent model).

The downside is, having to pay all the money for gas for a minivan . . . but for us, we need the space, and we have a small budget to spend on this vehicle, so that narrows our options.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

LionTigerBear is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM
 
LionTigerBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
I can fit 2 kids in forward facing convertable seats (Radian 80s) and an infant in a rear facing safeseat...and these are all in the back seat of a Dodge Neon...so if I can fit 3 kids in a tiny clowncar like a neon, I think you can fit 3 kids in almost anything. It's a cheap car (although you'd have to buy used...they don't make them anymore).

The more important thing, I think, is the carseats--some carseats are better than others at fitting in small cars.
If we had a third carseat squeezed between our two current carseats, we would have (at least) two problems: one, no one would be able to reach the buckle to DS1s child carseat, it would be covered by or hopelessly stuck between his and the other carseat-- and two, I would put the baby in the middle for safety reasons, and reaching over the other carseat to put a baby in would really kill my back.

We've squoze (is that a word? ) three carseats in there before and I do not feel that it is safe. Certainly not practical. And our current sedan is mid-sized, not compact, so I'm not sure that you CAN fit three carseats in "anything".

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

LionTigerBear is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:45 PM
 
Amylcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a 2004 Ford Taurus, which fits 3 carseats perfectly.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Amylcd is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
I can fit 2 kids in forward facing convertable seats (Radian 80s) and an infant in a rear facing safeseat...and these are all in the back seat of a Dodge Neon...so if I can fit 3 kids in a tiny clowncar like a neon, I think you can fit 3 kids in almost anything. It's a cheap car (although you'd have to buy used...they don't make them anymore).

The more important thing, I think, is the carseats--some carseats are better than others at fitting in small cars.
We already have one Radian, but even if both forward facing ones were Radians, there is still no way a 3rd car seat would fit in our car (Kia Rio). This is due to the shaping of the rear seats and a lot of newer cars are like this, unfortunately. We've hired a fair few and I honestly can't recall one that would definitely have fit three car seats, we haven't had a Dodge, but I think I read somewhere today that Dodges generally do have completely flat rear seats, which seems to be the key.

Also, do you have the baby in the middle? I really don't want to do that, I'd kill my back!

Given we are going to have to buy a new car (and this is a dead cert, as I said, we already have one radian and there is still a few extra inches needed), I want to get one that will last us more than a year or so. I reckon this baby is going to be in a forward facing car seat before DS is into a booster, as he is a scrawny little thing and just seems to get skinnier as time passes. The narrowest booster seems to be the same width as a radian anyway, so unless you have a built in booster for the middle seat it doesn't seem to help.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
We are currently looking at used Kia Sedona's-- a minivan-- because 1.) it will fit three carseats (an issue for us, too,) 2.) the recent models (within the last several years) are very highly rated with 5-star crash test safety ratings and 3.) because Kia is not as popular as brands like Toyota and Ford, the used Sedonas are extremely affordable (like $2500 to $4000 for a recent model).

The downside is, having to pay all the money for gas for a minivan . . . but for us, we need the space, and we have a small budget to spend on this vehicle, so that narrows our options.
We've also been considering a Kia Sedona, those prices you quote don't seem to be quite what they are in our area, a 2005 model seems to be around $10,000. I've been going off Kia a bit though as our current car is a Kia and it was fine until we got it serviced at the local Kia garage, they did some kind of computer update and now it doesn't start so easily and the engine warning light has come on!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move your thread over to Family Safety.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
We have a 2004 Ford Taurus, which fits 3 carseats perfectly.
Which car seats? and in what order? We'd want to put the oldest child in the middle, as he can buckle his own seat, but we've also noticed that rear facing seats can impact on the ability to put the front seats back.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 PM
 
LionTigerBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annekh23 View Post
We've also been considering a Kia Sedona, those prices you quote don't seem to be quite what they are in our area, a 2005 model seems to be around $10,000. I've been going off Kia a bit though as our current car is a Kia and it was fine until we got it serviced at the local Kia garage, they did some kind of computer update and now it doesn't start so easily and the engine warning light has come on!
Yeah, Kias in general are not known for their reliability-- they used to be pretty bad in fact, which is why they are still affordable-- the brand has been on the upswing as far as quality goes. But the Kia Sedona is highly rated for reliability, which is good.

The price difference is weird. Are you looking at dealerships? They mark used cars WAY up and most places will rip you off. The markup on used cars is unbelievable-- they make way more money on the used cars than they do on the new. I was looking at prices on craigslist. We've had good luck buying cars this way.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

LionTigerBear is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 PM
 
alysmommy2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
...so I'm not sure that you CAN fit three carseats in "anything".
There are SEVERAL small cars that can fit three car seats in a row. It is perfectly safe as long as they each have independent installs and do not rely on each other for tightness.

OP, if you do want to try three in your car you can always go to BRU and play around with several combos. They'll let you take seats to your car to try them out. Keep in mind that buying new seats is a lot cheaper than buying a new car.
alysmommy2004 is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 PM
 
DahliaRW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near the beautiful Cascades!
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Around here you can find '04 Sienna's for around 15k. Less for older years. Awesome crash ratings and very reliable.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
DahliaRW is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 PM
 
DahliaRW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near the beautiful Cascades!
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
There are SEVERAL small cars that can fit three car seats in a row. It is perfectly safe as long as they each have independent installs and do not rely on each other for tightness.

OP, if you do want to try three in your car you can always go to BRU and play around with several combos. They'll let you take seats to your car to try them out. Keep in mind that buying new seats is a lot cheaper than buying a new car.
You cannot fit 3 across in the back of an Outback, fyi.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
DahliaRW is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 AM
 
galincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: central canada
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i recommend going to the store and playing around with options. i know that we can fit two radians (ff)and a britax roundabout (rf) in the backseat of a honda crv. maybe that's an option for you? honda's seem to be quite reliable however they are a bit more than kias as they tend to hold their value more.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
galincognito is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 12:17 AM
 
AllyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annekh23 View Post
Also, do you have the baby in the middle? I really don't want to do that, I'd kill my back!

Nope, we put the least protected child in the most protected spot--so, our 2 year old is in the middle--the baby is rear facing and DS is 5, so technically, the forward facing 2 year old is the least protected child.

Ironically enough, she's also the only one who can partially buckle herself--for some reason, DS can't, and she can. So it makes it handy. :

I'd love to get a minivan, but with this economy, it won't happen any time soon...so we have to do it this way, even though I feel like a sardine in the car. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
AllyRae is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
 
OceansEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the prairie
Posts: 2,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my caravan, we currently have DD1 in the back and DD2 in one of the middle stand alone seats. We removed the other stand alone seat so I simply crawl into the back and shut the door in cold weather while I buckle them in. When the new babe gets here DD2 will move to the back and the babe will go into the stand alone. I don't know what I will do when this van dies, we are constantly moving stuff for either us or everyone else we know, the loads require us to have a large vehicle so a van makes the most sense for us. I will say if latch is important to you go with a better car seat. I love the latch on our britaxes, but the latch on my mother's and MIL's carseats are aggrivating. It makes it pointless to go out of the way to buy a car w/ latch if you can hardly get the things buckled.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

OceansEve is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 PM
 
asianyoushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have a dodge caravan, we had to get it because a dodge caliber could not fit three carseats in the back. we tried so many ways --dd then baby then ds, dd,ds,baby. seems like we were short 3 inches to accommodate the seats..

now we have dd and ds in the third row and baby in one of the middle seats. and the other seat is folded into store and go so we can get in and buckle the older kids
asianyoushi is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM
 
azmomtoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a kia rondo - very similiar to the sedona but shorter, it's like a mini-minivan. LOL ...they call it an "suv-sedan". Whatever. Good crash test ratings, we've had it going on 2 yrs now with no problems, typical maintenance, took it in for 1 recall (something w/ the ABS), nothing has broken down yet though. We've had three across in it - RF radian, FF Marathon, and FF something else (friend's seat, I didn't recognize it or pay much attention really, something short though! Seriously, had to be at least a foot shorter then the other two!). It has an optional 3rd seat, we don't have that (w/ one kid, no need for it, lol), and is very roomy inside. Without the third seat, tons of room for stuff..... we went camping w/ it, with our tent, bag, sleeping bags,cooler, pack n play, and umbrella stroller, still extra room behind the seat. And nearly any seat can rearface behind the passenger seat and you can still use it. (w/ the radian at 45 degree angle, I can use the passenger seat, but tight fit, my knees are in the dash, I'm 5'5"; DH at 6' cannot sit there).
Not the greatest mileage in the world, but I'd guess it's better than a minivan. It's rated at 18mpg but usually get around 24-25 avg.
The downside to it is it has really long seatbelts (the buckle piece that comes out of the seat) so it's hard to do a seatbelt install with most seats (britaxes are fine 'cause they are so high) but even w/ three twists the buckle would be in the middle of the seat on the Radian somewhere (rf'ing)

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
azmomtoone is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 03:56 PM
 
alysmommy2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
You cannot fit 3 across in the back of an Outback, fyi.
I am aware of that. I didn't say you could do it in all small cars, but it can be done it a lot of them.
alysmommy2004 is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 12:37 PM
 
mbhf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
You cannot fit 3 across in the back of an Outback, fyi.
I had three across my outback sport, which is the smaller wagon.
mbhf is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 04:08 PM
 
an_aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhf View Post
I had three across my outback sport, which is the smaller wagon.
It really varies by model year and edition.

CPST & mom

an_aurora is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 PM
 
Cinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a honda oddysey (2006, I believe)...we got it just before our youngest(16 months old) was born specifically for the whole 3 carseat thing...of course, we knew we planned on having 2 in 2 years so a bigger car would of been silly since #4 is due in May, we bought a mini-van. My kids were 3 1/2 and 5 when he was born, and still very much still in harnessed carseats (actually, they are almost 5 and 6 now, and still need harnessed carseats, with the 40lb law here, DD will need to be in a harness legally speaking till at least 7 1/2, perhaps 8, years old...which is ok, we'll probably keep her in one longer).

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Cinder is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galincognito View Post
i recommend going to the store and playing around with options. i know that we can fit two radians (ff)and a britax roundabout (rf) in the backseat of a honda crv. maybe that's an option for you? honda's seem to be quite reliable however they are a bit more than kias as they tend to hold their value more.
I'm expecting that we won't sell this car for a while, so it's value would be pretty low anyway. Thinking long term that means it's not only got to be a car that fits 3 car seats, but 5 years down the line, kids of 11, 9 and 5. I do know people who had reasonable size cars find that there kids suddenly got tall and it started to feel cramped!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
I love my caravan, we currently have DD1 in the back and DD2 in one of the middle stand alone seats. We removed the other stand alone seat so I simply crawl into the back and shut the door in cold weather while I buckle them in. When the new babe gets here DD2 will move to the back and the babe will go into the stand alone. I don't know what I will do when this van dies, we are constantly moving stuff for either us or everyone else we know, the loads require us to have a large vehicle so a van makes the most sense for us. I will say if latch is important to you go with a better car seat. I love the latch on our britaxes, but the latch on my mother's and MIL's carseats are aggrivating. It makes it pointless to go out of the way to buy a car w/ latch if you can hardly get the things buckled.
We have a caravan as a rental at the moment (had to get a bigger car as my sister is visiting). My husband put the younger child who can't buckle herself in in the rear seat, which was a bit silly, but thankfully my sister is climbing in to do it. I hadn't thought about the possiblity of removing a seat, I'm thinking 4yr old and baby in the middle row anyway, but it's going on my list of things to find out about any potential cars.

The reason I want LATCH is not so much for ease of install, but that they do seem to be safer and even if you screw up and do a bad install, the seat is still physically attached to the car and isn't going to move far. They also don't seem to loosen over time, I've seen seats installed with just the belts that you think are fine, then knock into and realise they are really loose!

With LATCH having come in in 2003 (not sure if it was that model year, or a purchase date in that year), it's hard to imagine getting a car older than that, unless we decided we wanted something top of the range, but then top of the range and 6 years old is unlikely to have something that would tempt us from a slightly newer car, with the kind of features we are looking for.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
I am aware of that. I didn't say you could do it in all small cars, but it can be done it a lot of them.
But "a lot" makes for a very long short list, I'm also not clear on what you are defining as small. I honestly don't know anyone with three kids who has a sedan and I don't think they are all rich people who'd buy an SUV or minivan anyway! With one thing and another we've hired a fair few cars over the past couple of years and only a couple would have done it, Ford Taurus and a Mazda (can't remember the number though). Neither of which were small cars, still smaller than a minivan a guess, but not much shorter, if at all. A regular SUV probably does better gas mileage and is definitely shorter. Outback from the outside looks like quite a big car, a couple of my friends who either don't have kids, or are past kids at home have them and I've ridden 3 adults in the back no problem - that's not a definite indicator, but it's a clue. So it's useful to know that it isn't likely to be possible, iirc it's available (or all are) AWD and given the amount of snow we've just had I have been trying to think outside of the get a minivan mentality!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:30 PM
 
an_aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annekh23 View Post

With LATCH having come in in 2003 (not sure if it was that model year, or a purchase date in that year),
Every car made after September 2002 (some before had it, but it became mandatory 9/2002).

CPST & mom

an_aurora is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 PM
 
gini1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annekh23 View Post
With LATCH having come in in 2003 (not sure if it was that model year, or a purchase date in that year), it's hard to imagine getting a car older than that, unless we decided we wanted something top of the range, but then top of the range and 6 years old is unlikely to have something that would tempt us from a slightly newer car, with the kind of features we are looking for.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic, that I bought in January of 2002, and it has latch in it. Not that it is big enough for you, but there are some cars older than 2003 that do have latch in them.
gini1313 is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
annekh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
We have a honda oddysey (2006, I believe)...we got it just before our youngest(16 months old) was born specifically for the whole 3 carseat thing...of course, we knew we planned on having 2 in 2 years so a bigger car would of been silly since #4 is due in May, we bought a mini-van. My kids were 3 1/2 and 5 when he was born, and still very much still in harnessed carseats (actually, they are almost 5 and 6 now, and still need harnessed carseats, with the 40lb law here, DD will need to be in a harness legally speaking till at least 7 1/2, perhaps 8, years old...which is ok, we'll probably keep her in one longer).
We'll be sticking at 3, though this 3rd was an oops, so who knows! I think we are heading down the minivan route. We're from the UK, so when family visit, they tend to be here for a while, it's really useful to have a vehicle that we can fit 2 extra adults in, then they can hire a small car (last time it was a Chevvy Avio, so I mean small!) for when they want flexibility, but we don't have to take two cars everywhere!

Interestingly enough that Avio fitted DH in the middle of two toddler car seats when we were involved in a head on collision and my parents had to ferry DH and the kids from Mount St Helens to home whilst I was stuck in the hospital in Vancouver, WA. I think it's having a flat back seat that is the key and it seems that is more a feature of low end and older cars and it's not something that manufacturers yell about when you try and check out the details of a particular car.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
annekh23 is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 09:49 PM
 
soxthecatrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an 02 Montana minivan and its equipped w/latch. Despite minivans having a bad rap I really like mine. We avg 20mpg. Used minivans are fairly inexpensive around here.
soxthecatrules is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 11:44 PM
 
mbhf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annekh23 View Post
Outback from the outside looks like quite a big car, a couple of my friends who either don't have kids, or are past kids at home have them and I've ridden 3 adults in the back no problem - that's not a definite indicator, but it's a clue. So it's useful to know that it isn't likely to be possible, iirc it's available (or all are) AWD and given the amount of snow we've just had I have been trying to think outside of the get a minivan mentality!
My dh drives a Subaru Tribecca. It seats 7, so that could be an option if you're interested in a subaru.
mbhf is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off