My baby slipped under water for a second! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was in the bath with my 6 mo a half hour ago and she fell over sideways and slipped under water for a second. She grazed the side but didn't seem to hit hard.

I pulled her out that second. She looked scared for a second and then coughed out a bunch of water. When I realized she had water in her, I tipped her upside down to help her. She cried for a few seconds and then started playing the water again. (With me literally holding on to her!)

I am worried because she seems to have inhaled some. I called the doctor and talked with a nurse. I am waiting to hear from the doctor about whether I need to bring her in. They are concerned about aspiration pneumonia.

Yikes. I feel like the worst mom in the world. I can't believe how fast it happened.

Anyone BTDT? In your experience is there any immediate risk to her right now? She is napping and I keep running in there and checking on her.

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#2 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Babe slipping under has happened to me, but I didn't get the sense that the babe really breathed any in. Aspiration pneumonia is pretty rare I believe. I've just kept them sleeping on me in the carrier for a while so I can keep an eye on their breathing.

You're a great mom. This happens with babies and bathtubs. It's scary, but I'm sure all will be fine!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#3 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 07:28 PM

if she's otherwise fine i doubt she's at immediate risk. and the nurse obviously didn't think so either. try not to worry. if the doc wants you to bring her in they'll just give a quick listen to her chest and see if they can hear any fluid on the lungs, maybe run a few tests. aspiration pneumonia doesn't develop instantly, she'll be just fine until you can talk to the doctor, and with what little she inhaled, coupled with the fact that you likely got most of it out...i'm sure she'll be just fine. (not a doctor or nurse myself, but i was a vet nurse for two years and we deal with AP in puppies and kittens too. the illness itself is the same, it isn't something that comes on immediately without warning.)

hugs for you, mama, that must have been so scary. you did right by following your instincts and the doctor should be able to set your mind at ease. if you're really worried, go ahead and bring her in regardless of what s/he says and have them listen to her just to be on the safe side.

you did everything right, you're not a bad mama, these things happen.
#4 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM

This happened with DD and I a few months ago. Very scary moment to be sure. She's probably fine. Don't worry yourself on it too much. You were right there and probably much more upset about the whole thing than her. I know I was.
#5 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM

Oh how scary for you! This is one of my worst "mommy fears".

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#6 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Oh mama I'm so sorry! I doubt there's any pneumonia to worry about, I've had this happen and sat there with DD in the tub and BAWLED! I felt horrible!!

SHE, however, didn't care that much. Go figure!

Anyways, just wanted you to know you aren't alone

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page