Study finds risks of child predation via Internet "overblown" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very interesting study. Basically it says that the risks of children being solicitied online by adult predators is extremely low, and the real risk children face is peer-to-peer bullying etc. using the Internet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/te...berweb.html?hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 PM

I have a really hard time believing this conclusion.

When I was a teenager I was constantly hit on by grown men online who knew how old I was--and I wasn't even on any sites devoted to social networking or relationships, nor did I post my photos for public view. There's no doubt that bullying happens more often than predation, but ... guess which one I would rather have my child protected from, if I had the choice?

Am I understanding this correctly, that executives from MySpace and Yahoo were on the panel that published this report?

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have to wonder if there's less child predation via the Internet BECAUSE the risk is so well publicized and parents and teens are taking steps to minimize it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 01-14-2009, 01:14 AM

Statistically, they are probably right -- more kids are harmed by cyber bullying than a predator. Although we hear about the rare cases where a child is victimized by someone they met online and then were lured to meet IRL, we don't hear about the many more cases of cyber bullying. It seems like they aren't counting merely being hit on as harmful -- only responding and getting in over one's head, so that takes an act from the child. On the other hand, cyber bullying is a passive thing that it is thus easier to fall victim too.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
cyber bullies and child predators are apples to oranges.

Child predators are out there and are dangerous, but I do tend to agree that the news blows things out of proportion.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

User Tag List