When is is safe to have older kids in the front seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my state they say kids can ride in the front seat at 12, but my 12 yo DD is on the small side and I'm concerned about air bag safety.

Anyone know what height and weight are safe to ride in the front seat?
#2 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

The front passenger seat is the most dangerous place for anyone. Add to that an airbag that is calibrated for the average adult male, then you have problems with having a child or small adult up there. If there's an available spot in the back where she can be properly restrained I'd rather see her riding back there. Many 12 year olds technically should still be in booster seats!
#3 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Current research suggests that kids should not ride in the front seat until they are 15 yrs old. It has nothing to do with the height or weight of the children but more to do with the fact that their bodies are chainging so rapidly due to puberty and the force from the airbag or a crash has different results on their bodies. See this link and this link. For the second link, click on "Boosters and Belt Fit" and then scroll to the bottom. You will see "The back seat is the safest part of the car for all passengers. Recent research shows that children should ride in the back seat until they reach age 15."

ETA: My DSC will not be riding in the front seat until they turn 15. The risks are greater than the benefits IMO.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Current research suggests that kids should not ride in the front seat until they are 15 yrs old. It has nothing to do with the height or weight of the children but more to do with the fact that their bodies are chainging so rapidly due to puberty and the force from the airbag or a crash has different results on their bodies. See this link and this link. For the second link, click on "Boosters and Belt Fit" and then scroll to the bottom. You will see "The back seat is the safest part of the car for all passengers. Recent research shows that children should ride in the back seat until they reach age 15."

ETA: My DSC will not be riding in the front seat until they turn 15. The risks are greater than the benefits IMO.
I find it interesting that this rule has to do with "rapid growth" yet it doesn't distinguish between teen girls and teen boys. Many girls are finished growing by 14, while boys tend to stop growing much older. I was fully grown at 16, while my brother didn't stop growing until around 20. At age 15, I was nearly my adult size and growth had slowed down quite a bit. My brother was still waiting for his big growth spurt, which occured while he was already old enough to drive!

My general rule is that I won't allow teenagers in the front seat of my van unless the van is full and there are no other available seats. In those situations, the biggest or oldest teen goes in the front.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The most important thing with ANYONE sitting in front of the airbag is to sit back against the seat and NEVER lean forwards towards the dash. Most airbag injuries are when people are too close to the airbag when it deploys.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM

15 year olds can drive in many states with a permit. I wouldn't want a kid to go from sitting in the back to driving with no time in the passenger seat, just my opinion.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#7 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the information. I will definitely be keeping her in the back for quite a while longer.
#8 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 05:39 PM

I asked this a couple of weeks ago. The answer was once they are over 140cm because of the airbag(from adventuredad). However, since then I have been told it is safe to put a front facing child in the front seat as long as you slide the front seat back as far as it goes (and they are in an appropiate carseat/booster).On our govt. website it seems to say FF is not a risk with airbags the only danger with airbags is with RF children. It is very confusing....every country seems to have different rules!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page