Sex offender next door...WWYD? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Iowa's laws are VERY strict, they cannot live within 2000 feet of a school or registered day care and in some cases a public park or library (not every town, but some)...and that goes for ALL offenders, not just the crimes against a child ones.

We're like 2 miles out of town so I guess we pass the 2000 ft radius of anything. Since he is on my friends side of the building she's going to watch him a few times and see what kind of 'vibe' she gets off him...and we'll go from there.

My BIL is a jailer, but unless this guy ends up in jail my BIL can't get any more info than we have.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#62 of 66 Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 AM

I didn't read this whole thread, but "exploitation of a minor" could just mean he had sex with a 16 year old, who consented to this. Her parents didn't like it, and they charged him.

It doesn't mean he's a pedophile.

I'm not saying this is the case ... just pointing out possibilities.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything. When I look up my neighborhood online, it seems like this is the place for sex offenders. They seem to be everywhere.

And then there's all the weirdos out there that you don't know about either because they haven't been caught yet or because they haven't started yet. (Sorry to be cynical!)

Danger is everywhere, IMO. All you can do is be aware of it, and stay protected. There's a reason I have a GSD for a pet, have taken self defense classes, and am very proficient at the shooting range. I'm not paranoid ... I live without fear. But, I know the danger is out there, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#63 of 66 Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, judging by his age I'm assuming that it was a 17 y/o girlfriend, in which case I don't really care. Like I said, half the men I know could be RSO in that case (my husband included!) my bil said it sounded like the charges were more than likely (consentual) sex with an older teen (16/17).

I haven't seen him around much...but that's not super weird, I'm off in no-mans land and between my work and DH's work...I'm never out and about.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#64 of 66 Old 02-07-2009, 04:50 AM

I don't blame you at all for being freaked out. But the bottom line is there are millions of predators out there (sick, but true) and you just happen to KNOW that there is one in your building. There could be others that you don't know about, others that don't have a conviction to follow them around but are still just as (or more) dangerous. It could be someone that you know who has the potential to harm your child. The best thing you can do is supervise your kids, and make sure they are informed and equipped to know when a situation is inappropriate and avoid it if they can. I would highly recommend reading the book "Protecting the Gift" as it provides a lot of insight into how to equip yourself and your kids and give you a little more peace of mind.

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#65 of 66 Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Shoulda woulda coulda... they can and will, right or wrong is secondary IMO.

The minor laws are important because there are 50 year old men who would have sex with 15 year olds and say "she wanted it" and maybe in fact she did say that, but someone at that age is not emotionally able to "give consent" and I agree that those things should be illegal. Everyone focuses on the guy who was 18 who has sex with his 17 year old girlfriend, and yes those situations seem far less egregious and they should be looked at on a case by case basis when it comes to whether to prosecute or whether jail time is necessary, but the laws nevertheless are there to protect minors and they are not "ridiculous"

#66 of 66 Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 AM

[QUOTE=Labbemama;13012247]And you know he would be an even bigger idiot to re-offend right where he lives.

QUOTE]

You just couldn't be more wrong. If someone is a child molester then someone near their home, whom they could groom and get to trust them is in fact the ideal victim. Keep in mind, many many child victims never tell their parents or anyone about the molestation out of fear or shame or because they are threatened by the offender. We all worry about abductions, but far more likely are situations where somehow the molester will gain access to the child's or the parent's trust, get them to come into their house for even just a few minutes, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page