car seat styrofoam question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an Evenflo Triumph - model # 3891609 P1 manufactured on Feb. 7, 2006.

I brought it into the house to clean the cover. My kids broke the styrofoam padding that goes on the sides. It has pieces of styrofoam that fit in the "wings" for padding. I can order replacement foam. Would it be completely unsafe to duct tape the foam pieces together until I get the replacements? I'm thinking probably yes, but I figured I should ask you experts.
#2 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM

How big and old is your DC? Do you have a spare car seat?

I would try to buy a spare seat- sometimes you can find a cosco scenera for $35-$40. I honestly wouldn't feel safe with it taped, because you don't know how the foam will respond in a crash. Effectively it's the same as taking a bike helmet, having it split in two, and then taping it together. Is it better than nothing? Perhaps. Is it SAFE? Most likely not, and I wouldn't want your child to be the crash dummy who finds out : .
#3 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Most car seat manufacturers and most car seat techs ARE okay with duct-taping the foam together as long as there aren't chunks missing. Ask the company when you call to order the replacements.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 5 Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 AM

We used a thin layer of minimal expanding foam to stick it back on when ours broke. It is really more aesthetic than functional...and when we bought a new one we made sure that it didn't have foam wings on the side

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#5 of 5 Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 AM

First I wanted to give a : to what chickabiddy said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
We used a thin layer of minimal expanding foam to stick it back on when ours broke. It is really more aesthetic than functional...and when we bought a new one we made sure that it didn't have foam wings on the side
I wouldn't suggest using anything but duct tape to repair broken foam, and that's only because the manufacturers have allowed the duct tape as a temporary fix.

I wouldn't try avoiding the problem by buying a carseat without the EPS foam. It's an important safety feature that comes in most car seats. It works like a bike helmet and absorbs most of the impact so that the child's head does not hit hard plastic.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page